The size of the crowds

kalifire

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

o rly? was going off what they showed on BBC Two and it certainly sounded like a lot more than that. pity.

BBK crowd was small, less than a tenth of the number at Rag n Bone Man. Never seen the Other stage so rammed as it was for him, though my son was caught in similar crush at Liam Gallagher.

Really nasty crush at the corner of Pyramid field nearest JP when we came out from London Grammar. We were being pushed backwards into the people behind. Had to give up and turn back to avoid injury.

I've found it more spacious this year as the dry weather means getting around much easier so not confined to track way. Both Foo fighters and Ed Sheeran were busy but nothing compared to Dolly or Adele. I think there are just a few acts that were underestimated in popularity.

Made the stupid mistake of trying to come from London Grammar to see Ed about 10 minutes before he was on. We headed up to the top left corner of the field and there was a real pinch point with a real crush of people, we walked down by the fence and cut in, and I heard a disgruntled woman moan about everyone cutting in past them and their spot. She was actually suprised and dismayed as to why people were cutting across her. We walked across for a couple of minutes and there was tons of space and nobody barging pass. Basically if you plonk yourself right at the edge of a crowd then it's creating the problem in the first place!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

BBK crowd was small, less than a tenth of the number at Rag n Bone Man. Never seen the Other stage so rammed as it was for him, though my son was caught in similar crush at Liam Gallagher.

Really nasty crush at the corner of Pyramid field nearest JP when we came out from London Grammar. We were being pushed backwards into the people behind. Had to give up and turn back to avoid injury.

Yeah Liam and Rag N Bone were ridiculous! Lorde was crazy small and Liam just can't sing now and it doesn't feel the same hearing the songs, it's like a tribute guu coming out to give his voice gone version.

• Downvote 1

Literally about 3 rows of people there at BBK 30 mins before they came on but then what do you expect when you have someone like Emeli sande on before them when Ed Sheeran is headlining the pyramid after? Should've put Kano on before them. It filled up after a couple of songs but they had less than some acts I saw there in the afternoons. It was great though 

Edited by rpfranks
Typo

Benefit of hindsight I know but putting LG, Ragin Binman, Stormzy etc on the Other, especially whilst The National in particular played the Pyramid to a handful that could've easily been contained elsewhere, was really daft. On the other hand Emeli Sande and a few others on the Other could've been in John Peel. Lorde was one of the few on the Other whose placing was bob-on IMO

For me the main stages were intolerable at times this year and so spent lots of time at the park etc. West Holts was awful, couldn't sit and relax. The crushes at the Other were awful although the one around the kaisers was due to a woman seriously hurt by a tractor on the railway line. Crowds should have been diverted through Pennards more quickly as I got through and back to the long drops while she was still on the ground. It must have impeded her rescue. I also met a lot of "workers" with tall tales about getting in which make a mockery of the security. 

5 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

For me the main stages were intolerable at times this year and so spent lots of time at the park etc. West Holts was awful, couldn't sit and relax. 

What was so awful about holts? Apart from the jacksons who were awful.

I got talking to a small band - they played Thursday. They claim that none of the small bands get paid, instead they get a free pass in, which, in normal years they sell on to the ticketless - just about covers their expenses and a bit of change. This year, lovely weather, nothing booked, so decided to stay.

I did a very unscientific wristband check on Sunday - half/two-thirds regular, the rest a split pretty evenly between workers and performers and Sunday tix. Also surprised at the number of people totally without - we counted about 3 or 4 as we sat there at the back of the Other, in the time of a pint of beer. Bare arms and brazen - no wristband at all.

On 24/06/2017 at 9:46 AM, kalifire said:

As other have mentioned elsewhere, things seem unpleasantly crowded this year. At peak times it's almost unbearable to be anywhere other than on the outskirts of whatever's happening. 

What gives? Are there more people here? It wasn't like this in previous (recent) years. 

It's changing the way I'm approaching this festival and I'm sacrificing times at things I would have enjoyed to go to other areas while they're slightly quieter, and make use of smaller stages. 

I think at the bigger stages part of it is perception. If you look from a distance the crowds can look packed but once you start navigating through them it's actually quite easy and there's pockets of space all over

Even at some of the smaller stages as well. We went to see Craig Charles in Shangri La and at first it appeared rammed but we easily moved our way into a good position and found our way back out for a drink

Only silly one was Ed last night, stupid along the top track, we attempted to get in but gave up.

Biffy was perfect Pyramid crowd size, field packed out but no one along the tracks, we turned up mid wolves of winter and got top right, that field looked unbelievable 

On 25/06/2017 at 9:45 AM, Hugh Jass said:

My observation is that the crowds on the Pyramid have been pretty small (Craig David excepted) but everywhere else has been packed. Thought K-Pez would have drawn a bigger crowd than she did. Solange on the other hand was heaving. Walked through the Other field whilst the Kaisers were on and could barely move it was that busy.

Loads of room for Solange near the back, we watched a bit and then went off to see Foo's, part of it is sometimes is people's perception of the field in relation to where they are stood.

Craig David pulled a big crowd but there's was loads of space to move through the crowds to go to the toilet, bar etc and get back in, same with Royal Blood

13 minutes ago, swede said:

I think at the bigger stages part of it is perception. If you look from a distance the crowds can look packed but once you start navigating through them it's actually quite easy and there's pockets of space all over

Even at some of the smaller stages as well. We went to see Craig Charles in Shangri La and at first it appeared rammed but we easily moved our way into a good position and found our way back out for a drink

Only silly one was Ed last night, stupid along the top track, we attempted to get in but gave up.

Biffy was perfect Pyramid crowd size, field packed out but no one along the tracks, we turned up mid wolves of winter and got top right, that field looked unbelievable 

Yeah Barry Gibb looked absolutely heaving from the view I had from the sign but reports have said it wasn't that big a crowd?