The size of the crowds

kalifire

50 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Sure. But a bigger crowd at 3pm than one of the UK's biggest bands got headlining the night before? :wacko:

But there's more competition at that time, other headliners. Radiohead might be massive but they are polarising. Half our gang didn't bother to see them, but they were all at Craig David cause there's not much on at 3pm.

Do you think more people stayed in their tents last year, as the weather was awful and they couldn't be fucked? I know I saw a lot less of the festival than I have in the past. Maybe everyone's just out because the weather's so much better? 

How many Sunday tickets are there, surely it'll be even busier tomorrow?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

Elbow jammed up the Park and after the Lips set and Arcadia finishing at the same time one literally could not move. 

That was ugly, almost need a one way system setting up around there at peak times. 

3 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Crowd sizes and therefore the increase number of twunts is part of the reason we have decided not to keep going. Even in the ten years I have been going it does seem to have gotten much worse for crushes #glastonburyisnotasgoodasitusedtobe :D

Totally agree. It's about time the Eavis family started getting some stick for this, the greedy fuckers. They need to reduce the numbers to make the experience better for the people there and this bollocks on less people getting tickets so be it.

• Downvote 14

I think there are more people on site. Remember when the licence was last renewed, it gave them the ability to increase the number of staff by a few thousand, which they were planning to do over a few years?  Well I seem to have seen far more hi-vis jackets this year, mainly the pink "fire stewards"

So basically, I think there are more staff, so more people in total.

We're here with 3 older kids & have been caught out twice unexpectedly by crowd crushes. Last night after arcadia & today during kaisers. Security told us last night that the predicted crowd numbers for last night all wrong - less than thought at radio head/s e corner, far more at park/arcadia. Today at kaisers we had to get out the crush by traders at Back of Other stage as daughter ill. One trader told me he'd never seen it so bad in 15 years & at 430pm. Loads of kids there not happy. Mix of JC crowds & Liam they reckon....odd that no loudspeakers/public addresses used to help control crowd as they do in other major festivals.

6 hours ago, Nia Wagenaar said:

We're here with 3 older kids & have been caught out twice unexpectedly by crowd crushes. Last night after arcadia & today during kaisers. Security told us last night that the predicted crowd numbers for last night all wrong - less than thought at radio head/s e corner, far more at park/arcadia. Today at kaisers we had to get out the crush by traders at Back of Other stage as daughter ill. One trader told me he'd never seen it so bad in 15 years & at 430pm. Loads of kids there not happy. Mix of JC crowds & Liam they reckon....odd that no loudspeakers/public addresses used to help control crowd as they do in other major festivals.

I think this wasn't helped by the issue on the railway line..Woman lying on the ground next to a tractor and lots of police round it in the middle of the path. I hope she was alright

14 hours ago, jamesrain said:

Totally agree. It's about time the Eavis family started getting some stick for this, the greedy fuckers. They need to reduce the numbers to make the experience better for the people there and this bollocks on less people getting tickets so be it.

•  

This , exactly this if not been for 4 or 5 years and what I've seen on the telly doesn't really make me want to go back , it just looks deeply unpleasant . The Glastonbury admin is shocking and is because of the aforementioned greed 

Edited by formed a band
  • Downvote 5

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think there are more people on site. Remember when the licence was last renewed, it gave them the ability to increase the number of staff by a few thousand, which they were planning to do over a few years?  Well I seem to have seen far more hi-vis jackets this year, mainly the pink "fire stewards"

So basically, I think there are more staff, so more people in total.

This is my thought- as the festival has got bigger, more stages, more performers, more tech staff, more volunteers and other staff, more security,police, traders plus all the guests of performers etc etc- plus the "hospitality " and other hangers on-  the licence addition was for up to another 25,000plus - this I think accounts for loads of extra people these days. I've been coming for years and everywhere is so packed now. Every other person seems to have a different wristband or several!! There seem to be 2 Glastonbury's - those who pay as punters in the main sales plus everyone else - and talking to a steward friend there is a "backstage Glastonbury" which is a different experience for everyone else- depending on the wristband! 

I don't know what the Radiohead crowd looked like as I was down by the mixing desk and it was pretty crowded there! 

Its definitely busier since 2013. 

My observation is that the crowds on the Pyramid have been pretty small (Craig David excepted) but everywhere else has been packed. Thought K-Pez would have drawn a bigger crowd than she did. Solange on the other hand was heaving. Walked through the Other field whilst the Kaisers were on and could barely move it was that busy.

17 minutes ago, formed a band said:

This , exactly this if not been for 4 or 5 years and what I've seen on the telly doesn't really make me want to go back , it just looks deeply unpleasant . The Glastonbury admin is shocking and is because of the aforementioned greed 

Crowd managing 250,000  people crammed into a few fields for 5 days, must take a large amount of planning. They have to estimate the distribution of people over the 100+ stages and walkways, taking into account all the variables like weather and ground conditions. Some things can be much harder to plan for like a bad performance and an unexpected exodus from a stage,  or a group getting a massive boost in popularity right before the festival due to a single taking off.

I've read many times on here about people being surprised by how small or big a certain crowd was so I think the best they can do is make sure that potential crush point are eradicated.

I think it's completely unfair to blame them because of greed though. What actual proof of this do you have?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bluebella said:

Crowd managing 250,000  people crammed into a few fields for 5 days, must take a large amount of planning. They have to estimate the distribution of people over the 100+ stages and walkways, taking into account all the variables like weather and ground conditions. Some things can be much harder to plan for like a bad performance and an unexpected exodus from a stage,  or a group getting a massive boost in popularity right before the festival due to a single taking off.

I've read many times on here about people being surprised by how small or big a certain crowd was so I think the best they can do is make sure that potential crush point are eradicated.

I think it's completely unfair to blame them because of greed though. What actual proof of this do you have?

Well I simply concurred with another poster, and while I agree that the admin must be difficult it perhaps appears they have bitten off more than they can chew while it seems numbers across the board remain large and or perhaps increase . 

The crowd for Liam was the biggest I've personally experienced at the Other stage, going to toilet and moving around was a nightmare. Walked past the Alt-J crowd just before they started and it was absolutely minuscule, likewise we watched Phoenix and we just walked right up to the front just before they started with plenty of room to sling our bags down and have a dance. In short anything with remotely broad appeal mid-afternoon will be rammed on the main stages, everything else is fine.

I feel the same but my only other experience was last year so I think a lot of people spent time by there tents more then. The Craig David crowd was huge was so confused then Radiohead wasn't to bad to get a good spot. Southeast corner last night though not a chance