The size of the crowds

kalifire

As other have mentioned elsewhere, things seem unpleasantly crowded this year. At peak times it's almost unbearable to be anywhere other than on the outskirts of whatever's happening. 

What gives? Are there more people here? It wasn't like this in previous (recent) years. 

It's changing the way I'm approaching this festival and I'm sacrificing times at things I would have enjoyed to go to other areas while they're slightly quieter, and make use of smaller stages. 

Edited by kalifire

West holts was pretty busy for hot 8 brass band - I don't remember ever seeing it that busy that early in the day back when it was jazz world! Similarly it was murder getting through the crowd for royal blood to john peel later in the day. Definitely does feel as if there's a lot more people here this year.

Arcadia/park last night was truly awful. I had to be calmed down. I should have thought really and left earlier but I didn't expect the crowd to be as bad as that. Although I should say that crowds during sets haven't been bad for me, had plenty of room for lorde last night 

Edited by char90

1 hour ago, JacquelineS said:

Elbow jammed up the Park and after the Lips set and Arcadia finishing at the same time one literally could not move. 

There was absolutely loads of room at the front for Elbow. It's that same problem of people hitting the start of the crowds and stopping creating a big crush on outskirts.  Have found this at most places this year... get past the first bit and it's totally fine.

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

There was absolutely loads of room at the front for Elbow. It's that same problem of people hitting the start of the crowds and stopping creating a big crush on outskirts.  Have found this at most places this year... get past the first bit and it's totally fine.

I left the Park to use the Toilets but when I tried to return security had shut down the front entrance to the Park and  routed us to the back. I was virtually trapped on the back or so it seemed. 

Edited by JacquelineS

31 minutes ago, JacquelineS said:

I left the Park to use the Toilets but when I tried to return security had shut down the front entrance to the Park and  routed us to the back. I was virtually trapped on the back or so it seemed. 

Probably having to be overly cautious after previous secret sets up there. But there were serious gaps at the front.

3 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

100% this so far this weekend 

as far as I remember they haven't increased capacity this year? 

29 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Craig David currently adding weight to this. Ain't no way a middling pop-star would've drawn a crowd like this at 2:30pm in previous years. 

IMG_1958.PNG

Its that Bloody Corbyn bloke, deck chairs everywhere.

Will be interested to hear what people make of the crowds when they're home, capacity hasn't risen..

2 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Its that Bloody Corbyn bloke, deck chairs everywhere.

Will be interested to hear what people make of the crowds when they're home, capacity hasn't risen..

I thought that might be it but the reaction CD is getting is incredible, like louder than Radiohead got, so now not so sure!

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Crowd thinned out a bit before Corbyn. I still think Craig David's revival is a massive inside joke I'm not privy to, but no question he embarrassed Radiohead's crowd there

Got to be the biggest of the festival so far isn't it. I'm similarly baffled but pleasantly so. He's a great live act. Hats off to whoever it was who recommended I see him before RTJ. I had a great time. 

His set was very similar to when I saw him at Radio 1's Big Day Out in Bolton a decade and a half ago. Baffling. 

7 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

10th year and too busy for me. Solace at green peace.  Can't deal with big crowds now I've aged abit. Too anxious. Still plenty of quiet spots over the rail tracK.   I'm not a fan of any of main stages anyway

The relative tranquility of the green fields is blissful, isn't it. When it all gets a bit much, it's the perfect antidote.