Not at Glastonbury need cheering up!

Abster

So as I am not on the farm having fun, is it wrong to be coming up with business ideas that will ensure I will never have to endured being ticketless again and hating the BBC and metro paper (media sources so far today) for doing features articles on Glastonbury?

So far I have come up with the ideas of...

Buying a horse box trailer and turning it into a gin bar or sparkling wine bar

Buying a farm and holding my very own festival

The first of those is maybe more viable and not a bad idea! The second may be a little excessive and bit harder than you think....

I have also been thinking what kind of food stand to start to ensure me and my gang get tickets. I'm just keeping busy. I'm not hurting as much as I thought I might be but it still sucks. Last night was particularly tough as I cut my wristband from last year off without one to replace it for the first time since I started going in 2008.

If you are in London and so inclined (and got a bit of would-be Glasto cash lying around) I've been to the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A today - it was a brilliant way to distract for 2-3 hours. Otherwise can also recommend the Star Wars thing at the O2 - similar price and similar time sink.

Someone just offered some tickets to see Robbie tomorrow. Half tempted to get a live music fix. Though Robbie and Radiohead are miles apart and know which I'd rather!

Aside from distraction for the next week, for next time I have resolved to get on to the volunteering the moment the tickets sell out if I am unsuccessful in a future year. It was being late and a bit picky that screwed me over this year (among other things like a string of bad luck)

Edited by Beaver89
added bit

In the same boat :( it does feel like the media hype of it has amped up several notches this year, which doesn't help. Radio 1 have never made a point out of doing a series of feature interviews with the headliners in previous years. Like with the peace sign world record thing, kind of makes this year feel 'more important' than the ones I went to which is gutting.

2008 was my first one too! have missed 2009 as was in a mood for braking my leg at the 2008 festival! 2010 could not get tickets, and 2013 think I couldn't get ticket this year either it is not embedded in my memory!

Radio 1 I avoid they just annoy me! Wonder why they are doing those interviews? most odd and annoying

hmm sparking wine bar... think I could only have it open 2 hours? max festival enjoyment time?

I was knee deep in my dissertation to be too concerned about going, alas it hit me on Monday, tomorrow is my birthday too, mum just texted about going for a meal.... its not the same!

Thanks for the great suggestions :)

Last went in 2013, usually all the coverage puts me in a mood and I tend to avoid the BBC stuff over the weekend but this year, I'm wistful about not being there but actually feeling really fond about the festival and the good time people seem to be happening. I hope the weather remains dry for them.  2010 was an amazing year, it being dry makes such a difference.

As for a fail-safe way to get a ticket, I reckon marrying into the family might be the only fail - safe way. ;). Traders license  is not always guaranteed 

37 minutes ago, ktej said:

Last went in 2013, usually all the coverage puts me in a mood and I tend to avoid the BBC stuff over the weekend but this year, I'm wistful about not being there but actually feeling really fond about the festival and the good time people seem to be happening. I hope the weather remains dry for them.  2010 was an amazing year, it being dry makes such a difference.

As for a fail-safe way to get a ticket, I reckon marrying into the family might be the only fail - safe way. ;). Traders license  is not always guaranteed 

Oh that is an idea, I found out about Patrick Evais today thanks to the one show, wonder if he is single lol

21 minutes ago, Abster said:

You are looking too deep into my trader stall idea, no doubt quite a few £s

Many of £ indeed after a quick google. Yea I know, i was just interested.

I think starting a band may be an option. Become one of the small valued acts that show up every year (Mik Artistik, Beans on Toast etc).

Or maybe join SeeTickets and work your way up to get industry tickets. 2 years is enough time right?

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

In the same boat :( it does feel like the media hype of it has amped up several notches this year, which doesn't help. Radio 1 have never made a point out of doing a series of feature interviews with the headliners in previous years. Like with the peace sign world record thing, kind of makes this year feel 'more important' than the ones I went to which is gutting.

All my friends are there and I missed out so I'm gutted as we've always gone together.  Sometimes I'm fine n then will suddenly think of Glasto and be down in the dumps!

I agree with what your saying about the media, just makes it feel like we're missing out even more (although this could be slight paranoia due to not being there!).

was thinking about alternative methods to get in but any see any of them working realistically and wouldn't want to travel all that way just to be rejected. 

It's proper horrible isn't it, been listening to Annie Mac in the car and just hearing the crowd in the background and seeing the the sun starting to set on the horizon you can really imagine being there! And it makes me feel happy and sad all at the same time. 

Its hard to listen and watch it all, but I can't stop! I'm addicted to it! 

My one saving grace is I have a Sunday ticket, so at least I can have a taster of it, i literally can't wait! Going to just smash it for 24 hours.

1 hour ago, Beaver89 said:

How much does a pitch cost at Glasto anyway?

Quite a few of the food traders who used to be regulars were telling me last year they might pack it in as the costs were becoming just too high - suggestions were between £12,000 and £18,000.  That's a lot of veggie curries you have to shift before breaking even.

I wasn't feeling too bad about it yesterday with the extreme heat. It would have been pretty awful setting up, queuing, walking anywhere etc (especially as had we got tickets we would have had out two young boys with us). But today I've really been missing it. This slightly cooler weather with a bit of cloud cover is just perfect Glastonbury weather and would have been the perfect tonic to last years' traffic nightmares and serious amounts of mud, which almost ruined me and had me seriously considering whether or not to return.

This year was the first time I've tried to get tickets but failed :(

9 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I had a chat with a food trader today and he said he paid 25k for the spot but would turnover 50k. 

That's crazy isn't it! A lot of the food stools have queues for 24 hours, just literally churn it out, and most dishes aren't far off a tenner so it must add up quick. I've always wondered how much something like the brothers bar turns over? Probably over a million!

4 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

That's crazy isn't it! A lot of the food stools have queues for 24 hours, just literally churn it out, and most dishes aren't far off a tenner so it must add up quick. I've always wondered how much something like the brothers bar turns over? Probably over a million!

This guy is more towards the niche market but delivers exactly what he claims. Most food places wing it but still make fortunes. the location dictates the cost 

Really starting to hit today that I won't be going:(  

saw a segment on the news about Glasto this morning and just drove home what I'm missing out on. 

Really need to do something to take my mind off it, thing is most of the people I'd suggest going for a drink with are at the farm!

Didnt bother to try for ticket this year . Had enough after last years mudbath, and decided to call it a day after many years. Am i missing it ??   Not as much as i thought, i only ever went for the music anyway, living fairly local made getting there fairly easy, never really a problem with that, i am not missing all the other stuff on site at all.

in the past Ive been  it in Camper van, but hated that, to far out from festival. Even done it going home at end of day to my own bed, that was ok, but while i was parked near site on first day coming back to site i was miles away in another car park. Oh and did it on Sunday Local ticket about three times now, thats really good, bused in and out, no waiting, esy car parking. I will do that again on occasions, but as for doing three days again, thats no longer for me, going to try a few smaller festivals.

After last year's mud I could not take the risk of going this year being 5 months pregnant - I was utterly exhausted last year so I would have no chance.

It just got to a point where fun shouldn't have to be that much hard work!!! and at least I could have a drink then to get through it.

Edited by gorfield

Last year was hard and horrible I had jet lag to which didn't help.

So today is my birthday (just drop it in there) was odd going into work and not being covered in glitter and badges along with carryng about Colin the pink Flamingo

It's been the longest day ever too...

Might take him out tonight... lol

50k is not a lot when you deduct the 25k stall cost, and overheads, stock, staff, fuel etc