Brexit Schmexit

LJS

Well, our current negotiation tactics are clearly not working. Maybe we should be making public some plans to prove we are preparing for a hard brexit (although sadly I don't think there are any). We need to be much tougher and stop being bullied. Maybe start abstaining from every vote that required 100% agreement. The EU would grid to a halt in a few months.

Luckily I'm not the PM :)

Edited by Ommadawn

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Well, our current negotiation tactics are clearly not working. Maybe we should be making public some plans to prove we are preparing for a hard brexit (although sadly I don't think there are any). We need to be much tougher and stop being bullied. Maybe start abstaining from every vote that required 100% agreement. The EU would grid to a halt in a few months.

Why would we want to piss off our future trading partners?

30 minutes ago, zahidf said:

LOCK HIM UP

"Arron Banks, the millionaire businessman who helped fund Brexit, had three meetings with the Russian ambassador to Britain — raising explosive questions about attempts by Moscow to influence the referendum result"

So nothing to get excited about and nothing to prove any link to Leave.EU (unless the Sunday Times have anything else).

My CEO at work has met the Chinese ambassador.  It's  a normal part of doing business with these countries.

Scraping the barrel a bit here I think zahidf and why do you want to lock him up?

Edited by Ommadawn

7 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

and its the EU fault? or is it the UKs fault for not having coherent negotiating aims or strategies

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

and its the EU fault? or is it the UKs fault for not having coherent negotiating aims or strategies

Both really. Our negotiation aims and strategies have been pants,  but I suspect the EU would veto any coherent proposals coming from the UK. After all, they don't want us (or anyone else) to leave. They've already said that the UK can't be seen to better off after leaving so they can't offer us a good deal. I think we need to be much stronger in order to concentrate the EU's collective minds a little.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Both really. Our negotiation aims and strategies have been pants,  but I suspect the EU would veto any coherent proposals coming from the UK. After all, they don't want us (or anyone else) to leave. They've already said that the UK can't be seen to better off after leaving so they can't offer us a good deal. I think we need to be much stronger in order to concentrate the EU's collective minds a little.

Stronger in what way?

3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

"Arron Banks, the millionaire businessman who helped fund Brexit, had three meetings with the Russian ambassador to Britain — raising explosive questions about attempts by Moscow to influence the referendum result"

So nothing to get excited about and nothing to prove any link to Leave.EU (unless the Sunday Times have anything else).

My CEO at work has met the Chinese ambassador.  It's  a normal part of doing business with these countries.

Scraping the barrel a bit here I think zahidf and why do you want to lock him up?

19 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

We need to be much tougher and stop being bullied.

OMG. :o

The EU will protect its own position for the benefits of its members.

The EU is not going to let the UK cherry pick all the best bits just because it suits the UK - cos if it did, it would mean the EU served no worthwhile purpose for its members.

Plus of course the EU's need of the UK is less than the UK's need of the EU, so the EU has the upper hand.

Refusing to bend to the UK's wants is fuck all to do with the UK being bullied, and everything about the EU protecting its own position.

By nature, the deal we'll get on the outside will be worse than the deal we'd have if we were a member - which also means it's going to cost us more to be outside of the EU than it would cost to be a member.

The UK govt needs a reality check, not to bury its head in fantasy and claim to be bullied.

13 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

what did you miss when that tweet said "and Andy Wigmore of Leave.EU"?

It's a definitive link to Leave.EU, and the equivalent of Farage being in the room.

And meetings with Russians on the day before and the day after Leave.EU's launch event would be one hell of a coincidence if they weren't about Leave.EU's launch event.

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

OMG. :o

The EU will protect its own position for the benefits of its members.

The EU is not going to let the UK cherry pick all the best bits just because it suits the UK - cos if it did, it would mean the EU served no worthwhile purpose for its members.

Plus of course the EU's need of the UK is less than the UK's need of the EU, so the EU has the upper hand.

Refusing to bend to the UK's wants is fuck all to do with the UK being bullied, and everything about the EU protecting its own position.

By nature, the deal we'll get on the outside will be worse than the deal we'd have if we were a member - which also means it's going to cost us more to be outside of the EU than it would cost to be a member.

The UK govt needs a reality check, not to bury its head in fantasy and claim to be bullied.

It hurts me to say this.

I......

I a........

I agree with Neil.

:o

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

what did you miss when that tweet said "and Andy Wigmore of Leave.EU"?

It's a definitive link to Leave.EU, and the equivalent of Farage being in the room.

And meetings with Russians on the day before and the day after Leave.EU's launch event would be one hell of a coincidence if they weren't about Leave.EU's launch event.

its super clear there was some Russian collusion involved. I dont see how people would pretend otherwise

• 4 weeks later...

just came across this, and think it's rather good... :)

The cabinet will be meeting on Friday to discuss a new method of payment for beer at Wetherspoons. Previously the government had put forward two possible payment methods:

1) Non-existent technology that removes the money directly from the customers wallet or trouser pocket.
2) Random Brexiteers take payment off the customers and give the money to the landlord when they feel like it.

Wetherspoons has rejected both methods and has told the government that it sees the bar as the border between itself and the customer and would like both the beer, and the payment for the beer, to cross that border. Wetherspoons has also said that it doesn't understand what its payment methods have to do with the government.

Theresa May is completely baffled by Wetherspoons' negative attitude and is therefore going to discuss a third method of payment with her cabinet on Friday. Leaked documents seem to suggest the new method of payment would involve leprachauns riding unicorns around the pub collecting beer money.

Jacob Tree-Frog has asked what Wetherspoons is.

7 hours ago, LJS said:

Brexit: Cabinet agrees 'collective' stance on future EU deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44747444

Good work!

It only took them 2 years and 13 days since the referendum result.

... and like everyone who who's come up with 'a plan', it's a crock of shit the EU will never accept.

A smugglers paradise, cake and eat it, equal partnership fantasy. Ain't happening.