Pre-Glastonbury Break Up

brain yolk!

Got a bit of a bombshell dropped on me at the weekend as a long term girlfriend broke up with me - it was completely out of the blue, totally unexpected and slightly manic. We were originally going together, but thankfully we're both going with separate groups of mates as well.

Regardless, my usual excitement levels have inevitably dropped a fair bit and I'm a bit all over the place. I'm 100% still going and hope it'll help, but it feels weird to know she'll be there too considering we've had some great experiences together at Glasto. 

I was wondering if anyone else has been through a similar situation before - any advice or suggestions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brain yolk! said:

Got a bit of a bombshell dropped on me at the weekend as a long term girlfriend broke up with me - it was completely out of the blue, totally unexpected and slightly manic. We were originally going together, but thankfully we're both going with separate groups of mates as well.

Regardless, my usual excitement levels have inevitably dropped a fair bit and I'm a bit all over the place. I'm 100% still going and hope it'll help, but it feels weird to know she'll be there too considering we've had some great experiences together at Glasto. 

I was wondering if anyone else has been through a similar situation before - any advice or suggestions?

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad to hear you are still going, I imagine it can be the perfect place to get over something like this and the chances are slim you'll run into her. There have been similar threads on here before, no sure if it was in the Chat section or the Questions section.

Hope you have a great festival.

Ah man! That is proper shit. I haven't ever gone through this, but I can't think of a better place to be in this situation - surrounded by friends, great music and booze for 5 days.

I hope it works out for you and doesn't put a dampener on your week.

Ducky x

Sorry to hear that man, must be such a difficult thing for you to go through. I hope the festival offers a reprieve for you at least.

Whilst I don't have any first hand experience, one of my best friends recently went through a break up with a long term girlfriend. Both are still going to Glastonbury although separate. She has some good friends in our group so it seems inevitable they'll run into each other at some point.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any real advice but I can hopefully offer some words of comfort in reminding you that, as I'm sure you're aware, it's very difficult to have a bad time at Glastonbury! The amount of stimulus should keep your mind occupied even if it is for just five days.

That is awful news. On the plus side you are A: Still going and B: Going with friends. Keep yourself busy and enjoy the sunshine. If the booze normally perks you up fill your boots, if you find it increases your upset then tone it down a little. 

I suppose the main advice (and admittedly predictable advice at that) is just try and enjoy yourself as much as you can. That said if you do find yoursef feeling down then find someone to talk to about it, I'm sure your friends will be happy to help, those feelings are far better out than in.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but i doubt you could be heading to place more suited to overcoming the blues. I hope you can enjoy the festival.

I've been in a similar situation, although not with glastonbury. Definitely recommend music festivals for starting to get over her, but if you haven't already maybe think about unfriending her from fb or unfollowing her at least. Seeing all her glasto photos appear a couple of days later will be pretty shitty

Also remember the best thing you can do to make sure you don't see her is not to look round for her.

Oh also, out of the blue break ups are the worst, do you want to be with someone long term who doesn't tell you when they're unhappy. Much better for find out this stuff like this now than later.

Edited by LostRiot

I split up with my wife six days before Glasto 2014 mate. Just go and enjoy yourself. I still had a great time. I just abstained from anything harder than booze and my mates let me whinge at them every now and then.

The alternative - not going - isn't even worth contemplating!

34 minutes ago, brain yolk! said:

Shag somebody else pretty much straight away.

Sorry to hear. At least you have other people and can stay out of each others way. Hopefully your music tastes are a bit different...!

4 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Shag somebody else pretty much straight away.

Is this advice based on the impending heatwave? Hope they've got some cornflour.

Let's not beat around the bush it's going to be shit but it'll be less shit than having to watch it on TV alone. 

Surround yourself with good mates who won't mind you moaning when you need to - and you will need to - go easy on hard stuff (if you're so inclined) and live in the moment as much as you can. 

Good luck!

Find out where her mates are camping and make sure your not in that field, you should know each others taste in music so avoiding her at stages should be easy, don't try and second guess what she's doing - I have trouble finding people I've gone with so avoiding someone should be simple....

I'm going totally solo this year and its daunting (no-one to make me stop) but I'll have a great time but I won't deny it's going to feel decidedly odd walking around on my own, in the "Downtime slots" between sets and in the tent (if I even get back to it).

5 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Find out where her mates are camping and make sure your not in that field, you should know each others taste in music so avoiding her at stages should be easy, don't try and second guess what she's doing - I have trouble finding people I've gone with so avoiding someone should be simple....

The paradox alarm is sounding on this one!

Just go and have a laugh. See the bamds you want to see, drink the drink you were going to drink and dance the dance moves you were going to dance.

And if you need to talk about it to someone while you are there then do it - thats what friends are for! Nothing worse than bottling something up for it to come out at the worst possible time and wreck something you were really looking forward to.

One of my favourite things at festivals are the drunken/drug induced life chats I have with some of my best mates. The bonds you form at festivals are unmatchable imo. 

45 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

Not the wrist band people though, they have a job to do.

Made me laugh, have an upvote.

Sorry a little insensitive. On the bright side if you are not camped together the chances of you running into each other at the festival are pretty slim.

Enjoy the quality time with your mates uninterrupted by girlfriend drama.