Best food to take ?

chris_top_her

I take two cold Roast Chickens - I leave them in the fridge truck  together with my secret stash of a dozen Boiled eggs with a big note warning people they are mine - one of the guys { with a onsite car pass } drives out each day to bring in newspapers and fresh bread.

I am a plain eater so while the crew site has its own catering tent they tend to dish out stuff that is easy to cook like curry which I cant eat.shot of a old cellerman

2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.26ef213e26e13465eb958c278ffbcfe2.jpg

8 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Scratching are a great shout. Might add this to my snack-bag-for-life. You can get Colmans English Mustard scratchings from a normal co-op at the moment. They're unreal.

Nice, will have to try those!

That calorie, protein and meaty fat hit tastes like heaven when you're shitfaced and your body is reeling, even more so than normal.

Usually bring bacon sarnies for the first day going and the next morning, keeping overnight once.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Usually bring bacon sarnies for the first day going and the next morning, keeping overnight once.

Careful with that. I was working at Shambala a couple years ago. During the pack down on the Monday, all the way through the shift there was almost a running commentary on the radio regarding someone who spent seemingly the entire 8 hours in and out of a composting toilet receiving several visits from medical during the process.

Apparently they'd brought some Bacon Sandwiches with them on the Thursday, and thought that they'd still be fine when they broke them out on the Sunday Evening. The result being one of the more unpleasant medical situations I've heard.

I'm very much a carnivore, and do find Shambalas meat free policy frustrating, but that's a bit far even for me.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Careful with that. I was working at Shambala a couple years ago. During the pack down on the Monday, all the way through the shift there was almost a running commentary on the radio regarding someone who spent seemingly the entire 8 hours in and out of a composting toilet receiving several visits from medical during the process.

Apparently they'd brought some Bacon Sandwiches with them on the Thursday, and thought that they'd still be fine when they broke them out on the Sunday Evening. The result being one of the more unpleasant medical situations I've heard.

I'm very much a carnivore, and do find Shambalas meat free policy frustrating, but that's a bit far even for me.

I did say keeping overnight once, and that would be in a cool bag with frozen blocks and under my ground sheet!

*In general I wouldn't advice keeping meat or other fresh food*

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nice, will have to try those!

That calorie, protein and meaty fat hit tastes like heaven when you're shitfaced and your body is reeling, even more so than normal.

Yeh I like going on the hunt for good bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast. Sorts me out. If I'm having a smoke I'll graze/devour throughout the day from wherever my nose takes me. My brother informed us not to let him smoke as he'll "eat the world". Thought he was joking. He smoked. He ate 8 meals. I'm talking full on meals. It was absolutely obscene. And so were his 4 shits the next day which he put down to the "shot of gin" he'd had.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yeh I like going on the hunt for good bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast. Sorts me out. If I'm having a smoke I'll graze/devour throughout the day from wherever my nose takes me. My brother informed us not to let him smoke as he'll "eat the world". Thought he was joking. He smoked. He ate 8 meals. I'm talking full on meals. It was absolutely obscene. And so were his 4 shits the next day which he put down to the "shot of gin" he'd had.

Am I your brother? Because that pretty much describes my weekend

21 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Reminds me of one of my good friends weddings. Woke up in the hotel in the morning, the Mrs was hungover so was skipping breakfast in lieu of a lie in. As i wandered from the room to the breakfast place i found half of a joint that had been left unfinished from the night before. blazed that on the way over, got to the buffet and absolutely destroyed it, cereal then pastries then toast and jam then a full english plus seconds on the good stuff. Went back to collect the Mrs and check out. On the drive home she is ready to eat something so we stop at McD's where i proceed to polish off my third / fourth breakfast in two hours with a double egg mcmuffin meal. It was monstrous. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grilladelphia said:

and breakfast white Russians!

A HUNDRED TIMES THIS.  It's one of the best, most balanced breakfasts going.

one of the best decisions I made last year was always having vodka and Kahlua on me at all times so I could either have white russian breakfasts or espresso martinis whenever I walked past somewhere that sold milk or good cold brew coffee.   

Aside from some snacks (crisps and breakfast bars),  I don't bother with bringing food.  I'm not much of a breakfast person and very rarely in a fit state to eat anything when I return to the tent in the early hours so never really saw the point when there's so much tasty good out there and limited amount of stuff I can reasonably carry.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Stu H said:

We used to take pouches called 'Look What I Found' - which were a bit like these:

https://basecampfood.com/collections/camping-meals

They don't seem to be around much any more. They were about £2.50 a pouch and easily heated on a small camping stove.

If you are anywhere near one, I think Booths still sell them

16 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Milka bars were a bad idea last year. 

53369047-B263-4523-AB8A-457CE1B15C94.jpeg

I learnt that mistake with a bag of Maltesers one year. Really. What was I thinking? Chocolate in a tent? WCGW?

11 hours ago, MetaKate said:

With the coop on site this year, and after checking out the coop last year and having confidence in what will be there... I will ba packing 2 things only, vodka and mix. 

It's the mixer I am nixing. At least 3kg of weight saved right there.

(they did sell 3l bottles of coke there didn't they?)

That co-op was brilliant for mixers, ice and ice cream. You could pick up a meal deal too! 

I was very late on site last year so didn't bring any food with me. Usually I'd only take a few bits that weren't going to be impacted by the weather - cereal bars etc. I love the range of food on site though - although I did end up eating a veggie curry in the heat of Saturday which wasn't my best choice last year.

34 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

That co-op was brilliant for mixers, ice and ice cream. You could pick up a meal deal too! 

I was very late on site last year so didn't bring any food with me. Usually I'd only take a few bits that weren't going to be impacted by the weather - cereal bars etc. I love the range of food on site though - although I did end up eating a veggie curry in the heat of Saturday which wasn't my best choice last year.

Also handy if you are camped right by the bloody thing :) 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Also handy if you are camped right by the bloody thing :) 

True. 

#ParkHomeForeverExceptWhenYouDontArriveOnAWednesdayOrEvenWorseDontGetATicket 😅

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

I learnt that mistake with a bag of Maltesers one year. Really. What was I thinking? Chocolate in a tent? WCGW?

It's the mixer I am nixing. At least 3kg of weight saved right there.

(they did sell 3l bottles of coke there didn't they?)

So maybe I missed them, but when I was there last year I only saw teeny tiny cans for mixers, which was sad as I didnt bring mixers.