Hay fever crew 2017

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

I've personally found it does. They have a couple of options for dry/itchy/watery eyes etc. Also helps if eyes are dry from being particularly tired or dusty. 

Sounds ideal cheers - it could be any of those reasons - plus I hate dropping things in my eyes or squirting things up my nose.

29 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Try the old wives tale of taking local honey?

more fun would be local cider, there is a cider called Pilton that is made with apples from worthy farm

Too late, you'd need to build up for at least weeks not days, but it's supposed to work because you get exposed to local pollen

I know some of you may find this strange,but I find drinking proper cider( as opposed to Bulmers and such like) helps keep my attacks under control. I am by no stretch of the imagination a big drinker but have come to the conclusion that the fruit in the drink acts as like an antidote against the pollen. You may get similar results by drinking ordinary Apple juice.

The last few days have been awful, haven't had hayfever like this for years. Ended up taking 3 loratadine yesterday, couldn't remember if I'd taken the 2nd one so took another. Was a zombie most for most of the day, hasn't been as bad today so hopefully we've passed the peak for grass pollen. Didn't suffer at all last year while I was there. Mine comes in about 3/4 waves of a week each from early March to June.

Y'ello HF crew. 

Also heartily recommend Vaseline but not just around nose but also around eyes. I use UV paint on my eyes in the evening so I feel a bit less like a snotty-eyed monster.

I'm also on the Fexo and Loratadine train but also recommend montelukast tablets (it's for asthma but my GP says they help block the chemicals that cause allergic reactions). 

I wish you all luck in your battle, comrades.

1 minute ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The guy sitting opposite me at work has been slathering his nose with vick's vapour rub all week and he has definitely been sneezing less - he reckons it's better than vaseline. 

That will go down a treat when Altern-8 are performing.

4 hours ago, hilton said:

I know some of you may find this strange,but I find drinking proper cider( as opposed to Bulmers and such like) helps keep my attacks under control. I am by no stretch of the imagination a big drinker but have come to the conclusion that the fruit in the drink acts as like an antidote against the pollen. You may get similar results by drinking ordinary Apple juice.

It's more to do with the added sulphites that are in heavily processed and manufactured ciders / beer / wine. There won't or shouldn't be any if organic and local. Anti allergy tablets counter hives and tight chest from sulphite laden drinks exactjy as they do for allergies. 

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-msm-caplets-750mg-60005015?skuid=005015&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_adid=185747624549&utm_adgID=58700002241441623&gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtWwHkIWFqLKAa_anRuuTduAYdHZ2z14qPkqKg4OxXCRoCvu_w_wcB

MSM is an interesting natural supplement to try out. I take it regularly and have no trouble with allergies when previously I used to struggle. The mechanism by which it works is still a bit unclear but for me it definitely does. Take four per day for a month and see if you see a benefit. 

Edited by rubenz

Palm your eyes. Sit somewhere quiet, close your eyes and then rest them on your palms for a while. I find it really helps much more than itching them, which although tempting, is not really good for them.

My hayfever has been the worst it has been in a number of years the last week or so! Managed to get my nose clear enough to get nasal spray up there after sleeping with Olbas oil on tissue all night. So will have to make sure I bring some to glasto!

I'm normally too bad at glasto, apart weirdly when I went to the medical tent about something else last year and up there my eyes just gave way to a flood.

3 hours ago, LaurenEdwards93 said:

What you guys think is the cure for swollen and itchy eyes? i've tried all the eyedrops boots can sell

I'm a hayfever sufferer (currently on 2x "one a day" tablets and nasal spray) but I don't get itchy eyes at all. The only reason I can think of is that I wear contact lenses and they act as a kind of barrier?

I've had hayfever since I was little 'un, but have noticed it's been less severe in the last few years as I approach 40, but the last week or so has been awful, grass pollen must be right up.  It's difficult to describe to those who don't have it how miserable it is.  Tablets, nasal spray and eye drops plus ET's finger tend to keep things at bay, but must say warm, overcast weather for me is the worst conditions, so I'm expecting it might be tough next week (not that I want r*in!).

13 hours ago, LaurenEdwards93 said:

What you guys think is the cure for swollen and itchy eyes? i've tried all the eyedrops boots can sell

Bit tricky this one if camping, but if you can find a stall holder selling ice (might be able to blag a few lumps from one of the bars) place ice cubes into a sandwich bags with a damp flannel. Then put bag into a small cool bag. Then at various times through out the day find some shade and just let the cold damp flannel rest on your eyes for a couple of minutes. I've found that this doesn't exactly cure the problem but sure makes me feel better for a while. Obviously wear a hat with a peak and sunglasses even if it's not sunny to help keep the pollen from your eyes.