Hay fever crew 2017

Swine_Glasto2014

Sufferers come together and help me and others prepare for hell on earth when the Somerset pollen kicks ass... 

Probably experiencing the worst bout of field aids I've ever had and it's kicking my head in. I usually use Pireteze but that is having no effect and been prescribed Fexofenadine which is equally as useless. 

Any hints, tips or super strength anti aids drugs will be massively welcomed with snotty covered arms. 

Cheers

Edited by Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Sufferers come together and help me and others prepare for hell on earth when the Somerset pollen kicks ass... 

Probably experiencing the worst bout of field aids I've ever had and it's kicking my head in. I usually use Pireteze but that is having no effect and been prescribed Fexofenadine which is equally as useless. 

Any hints, tips or super strength anti aids drugs will be massively welcomed with snotty covered arms. 

Cheers

Get sooooooooooooooooo wasted you don't even notice.

My current cocktail of drugs:

Take one 180mg Fexofenadine as soon as I wake up

Eyedrops first thing in the morning and through the day as required

Take another 180mg Fexofenadine late-afternoon

Take a loratodine before bed

Do not operate heavy-machinery or drive after the 2nd Fexofendaine!

Have never really got on with nasal sprays, all they seem to do is make me sneeze more!

I have found that putting a bit of Vaseline around the inside of your nostrils seems to keep the sneezes at bay slightly. 

Also for itchy eyes Optrex Actimist eye spray which goes on closed eyelids (handy for people like myself who really struggle with eye drops). I'm sure there are other non-branded or supermarket own versions but personally only ever used this one myself. 

If you've tried Piriteze & Allegra then maybe try the other 2 main ones and see which suits best - Clarityn & Benadryl. My advice would be to go for none brand ones as they have exactly the same active ingredients but cost much, much less.

Active Ingredient - Brand Name

Cetirizine hydrochloride - Piriteze
Loratadine - Clarityn
Fexofenadine - Allegra
Acrivastine - Benadryl

I went and got Fexofenadine prescribed also a couple weeks ago, with a nasal spray. It has helped with all symptoms bar the itchy eyes which get terribly bad at night. Glastonbury last year was horrendous and considering the conditions then, this year is gonna be a killer!

7 minutes ago, FestiZebra said:

Glastonbury last year was horrendous and considering the conditions then, this year is gonna be a killer!

Weirdly enough It did not bother me atall last year :/ and others in our group were suffering loads

Hayfever season is over for me now (it's all grass pollen at the moment, which doesn't seem to bother me, unlike the tree pollen before it, which leaves my eyes an itchy, watery mess), but if loratodine works for you, Sainsbury's has packs of 30 for less than £3.

I say this everytime but...

If you're taking bedding in/sleeping bags/ pillows make sure they are in bags that you're going to take them out of as the pollen stick to them as you're walking in.

Also washing your hands then your face with cold water just before you go to bed.

7 minutes ago, hermano said:

For me nothing completely prevents the symptoms as well as a short course of steroids.

5mg x 4 times a day for 4-5 days of Prednisone sorts me out completely and then I dont have to bother with eye drops + nasal sprays.

How did you get the steroids?

Does anyone else get reeeeeeeaaly puffy eyes?

I have started to use my Beconase nasal spray as I hope it will help build up more resistance to pollen. I had been ok but just want to do whatever I can to prepare. Eye washing and drops as other have mentioned are a good idea too.

1 hour ago, gherring8 said:

I have found that putting a bit of Vaseline around the inside of your nostrils seems to keep the sneezes at bay slightly. 

Also for itchy eyes Optrex Actimist eye spray which goes on closed eyelids (handy for people like myself who really struggle with eye drops). I'm sure there are other non-branded or supermarket own versions but personally only ever used this one myself. 

Will investigate that one - does it help ward of stinging eyes?  I don't suffer too badly from hayfever, but several days in a field and usually at some point my eyes start stinging like buggers.

I usually find that the wednesday and thursday are worse - by Friday either I've drunk so much I don't notice, or my body has just been so exposed to the horrific pollen that it no longer has an effect...

Never got on with any drugs of sorts (the anti-pollen kind that is), just going to wash my face and hope for the best!

Vaseline up your nose, bonus if it smells good and you're in the long-drops!

I've used Benadryl Acravastin for a couple of years and it worked really well, unfortunately I can take naff all* this year because I'm pregnant..  I'm going to be really suffering!! 

*The baby-safe nasal spray I got from Boots (Prevain?) is absolute garbage!

31 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Will investigate that one - does it help ward of stinging eyes?  I don't suffer too badly from hayfever, but several days in a field and usually at some point my eyes start stinging like buggers.

I've personally found it does. They have a couple of options for dry/itchy/watery eyes etc. Also helps if eyes are dry from being particularly tired or dusty.