Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn’t call them a ‘joke band’ because they’re not guys who are above what they’re doing playing for laughs, but they’re not out to be taken too seriously musically and are just there to play barroom rock and roll for fans to dance to. Like a scaled down AC/DC.

Or a high brow Steel Panther. I Want You So Hard is more memorable for the hilarious video with Homme, Dave Grohl and Jack Black hamming it up and giving them a big leg up at the time. 

• 1 month later...

I saw them in the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas a few years ago and was shocked about the staleness of the crowd. It really detracted from the atmosphere.

It's no wonder so many American bands seem genuinely impressed by British audiences, we don't have to do a lot to eclipse yanks.

11 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I saw them in the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas a few years ago and was shocked about the staleness of the crowd. It really detracted from the atmosphere.

It's no wonder so many American bands seem genuinely impressed by British audiences, we don't have to do a lot to eclipse yanks.

Yeah I'm very grateful to be from here when I see shit like that. Don't think I'd have fallen in love with live music if that was yr standard atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

They have a far deeper and richer music scene then anywhere else though. Go anywhere in America and there will be live music in bars, restaurants, on the streets. We don't have that this side of the pond. Its a normal part of the culture there. 99% of bands just play for tips. 

So where we might see a gig every couple of weeks they see live music nipping out for a couple of swift halves on a Monday. Way less of a novelty to them. 

41 minutes ago, The Nal said:

they see live music nipping out for a couple of swift halves on a Monday. Way less of a novelty to them. 

Hmmm. Nipping out for a couple of swift halves is a novelty to most americans I've spent time with over there (mostly people thru work).

It's maybe different if you were visiting Irish-heritage friends...?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Hmmm. Nipping out for a couple of swift halves is a novelty to most americans I've spent time with over there (mostly people thru work).

It's maybe different if you were visiting Irish-heritage friends...?

Depends where I suppose but music/bar culture is huge in most places. 

I lived in LA for a while and popping out for a pint wasn't possible without an hour round trip down the 'freeway'.

Anyway, no need to go all Michael Gove about how British audiences are best when any footage of a band playing in Buenos Aires or Mexico City shows that Clacton on Sea isn't the only town that knows how to party.

I guess it depends where you go in America.I went to Memphis last year and every bar along Beale Street had bands playing, and live music wasn't just limited to the bars either it was all over the street. As far as I was aware live music is a massive part of the culture over there but have only been a handful of times.

Edited by suttttttt

3 hours ago, suttttttt said:

I guess it depends where you go in America.I went to Memphis last year and every bar along Beale Street had bands playing, and live music wasn't just limited to the bars either it was all over the street. As far as I was aware live music is a massive part of the culture over there but have only been a handful of times.

Yeah a lot of the street guys are better than the acts in the boozers, who usually play the same 25 songs over and over. 

The house bands are great when they can let loose when the blow in act goes for a break.

First (and only) time I've been a victim of racism was on Beale Street. An odd one.

Should say I'm white, unlike the brave hero in my profile pic. 

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Ehhhh if the live music in all the bars is so good that gigs are boring, why fork out all that money to see QOTSA? I don't think that's a good reason for the crowds to be dead.

Nah its not necessarily better, just not as much of a novelty. 

That said, people were going batshit crazy at Macca in MSG last year. Losing the run of themselves completely. 

Edited by The Nal

• 3 years later...