Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

I'd happily have them play the full record in Nov. Im wondering were there any other tracks recorded in these sessions. If I had one complaint its that a couple of the tracks maybe overstay their welcome a tad. The last track for example.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

Tbh I'll wait and see the setlists before I look for a ticket. Last time I saw them was one of my top 10 gigs but much of this new stuff could seriously drag it down.

At least 2/3 of this record will be performed at each show.

Liking this a lot more on repeat listens. Feet Don't Fail Me, Fortress, Head Like a Haunted House, The Evil Has Landed and Villains of Circumstance are all ace. The Way You Used to Do may be my least favourite from the album. Definitely a grower for those initially turned off by it.

Edited by FloorFiller
Did a thing.

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Queens will have their usual naysayers.

Specially on here.

From my experience, they're a band that don't have many naysayers. People seem to either like them fairly unwaveringly, don't care enough to opine or don't know. Been the peoples' underdogs for years.

5 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Wont be there if so. Can only hope some negative reviews snap a little sense into them. ;)

Early reviews from critics seem positive - fans much more mixed like.

27 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I'm a QotSA fan ffs! Not liking one album doesn't make someone a 'naysayer'.

Guessing Woody does but I don't mean to say you are one. I'm just saying they're a band that don't get loads of peeps taking potshots at them so when fans are like "nah", something is stirring.

I'm not about to ride to the defence of an album I haven't listened to yet and have my own prior reservations about so you can chill. :P

Moving on, I just listened to The Evil Has Landed and I like it a lot. But by God it's so fucking clean though, once again. Roll on hearing these songs live.

Edited by dentalplan

6 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Where are those mixed reviews? I'm serious, this is the only forum where I saw them

Albumoftheyear.org and Reddit... The subreddit a bit more positive but some of the most upvoted content in recent times was straight up Royal Blood videos so gotta transpose that positivity down a few frets.

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Guessing Woody does but I don't mean to say you are one. I'm just saying they're a band that don't get loads of peeps taking potshots at them so when fans are like "nah", something is stirring.

I'm not about to ride to the defence of an album I haven't listened to yet and have my own prior reservations about so you can chill. :P

Moving on, I just listened to The Evil Has Landed and I like it a lot. But by God it's so fucking clean though, once again. Roll on hearing these songs live.

I would disagree. Think in many people's eyes and ears (not unreasonably, mind) the standard reached on "Deaf" hasnt been gotten close to since. Thats 15 years. 4 records now. 5 if youre counting the Vultures record. 6 if you count the Iggy. Both of which were roundly and solidly poo-poohed on here. People gotta slate someone I spose.

Edited by Wooderson

Once you're over the fact that there ain't any all-out rockers or huge choruses and that the clean disco-like guitar is there to stay it's a very good album. Can see why a lot of people (especially fans of their earlier stuff) would be turned off by it but it's well worth persisting with.

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

other than your Neil Lonsdales I honestly don't understand how anyone could be disappointed by this record. found myself humming the riff from Head Like A Haunted House in the shower every morning since I heard it.

Just so safe isn't it? I don't think anyone, however much they like the album, could claim this is much of a step forward for the band.

Edited by Mash011

45 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Just so safe isn't it? I don't think anyone, however much they like the album, could claim this is much of a step forward for the band.

Don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for them, but.. it's their seventh album, how long are bands honestly expected to keep making 'steps forward'? IMO we should be thankful they're still putting effort into new music, with the exception of Radiohead the other big rock/alternative bands to break through in the 90s are either defunct or have long been only putting out new albums as a thinly-veiled excuse to do yet another Greatest Hits tour. Queens know what they do and do it very well, as long as what they put out is ace (and Villains is) then them playing it 'safe' is fine by me :)

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for them, but.. it's their seventh album, how long are bands honestly expected to keep making 'steps forward'? IMO we should be thankful they're still putting effort into new music, with the exception of Radiohead the other big rock/alternative bands to break through in the 90s are either defunct or have long been only putting out new albums as a thinly-veiled excuse to do yet another Greatest Hits tour. Queens know what they do and do it very well, that's fine by me :)

I'd say their last one felt very fresh! We can hold them to a higher standard than this, imo - we should be disappointed that they've started to slide into being what you've described rather than just being thankful for what is to be honest a really lacklustre album. We know they're capable of better!

They were very unlikely to make a daring record at this stage of their career .. so I always expected a safe, more of the same, record. Not sure why anybody was expecting them to reinvent the wheel (in musical terms). They do what they do - and they do it well.  

Its hardly breaktaking, but it certainly isn't as terrible album by any means!

Edited by st dan

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I'd say their last one felt very fresh! We can hold them to a higher standard than this, imo - we should be disappointed that they've started to slide into being what you've described rather than just being thankful for what is to be honest a really lacklustre album. We know they're capable of better!

Loadsa peeps are enjoying the record squire. Your dull-as response is what a rake of people say after every new Queens record since Deaf. You don't like it. Ace. See ya.

57 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

the first, last and only Queens tune i aquired was Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, that must be what, 99, 2000? but i'm off to see them in Dublin later this year.  really looking forward to it.

(apologies for not really furthering the current conversation, just wanted chip in)

Last night the tour. Can't wait.