Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

1 minute ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

It can only be an improvement on the shambles that it is now

Can it? The main issues are the prices and there being local residents who complain about the volume, LN taking over wouldn't change either of those things. If it wasn't for it being an 'iconic' and 'marketable' location no promoters would touch Hyde Park with a barge pole, LN would fare better setting up a white people version of Wireless than buying out BST.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

To be honest that was what I was thinking. For some reason "Portman Road" jumped out at me.

Biggest they could get away with would be Villa Park I think. It's underused as a gig venue, presumably because the transport links are naff, but it'd be hella convenient for me :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Biggest they could get away with would be Villa Park I think. It's underused as a gig venue, presumably because the transport links are naff, but it'd be hella convenient for me :lol: 

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in Birmingham that accommodates large outdoor gigs, despite plenty of outdoor space and three decent stadiums (and Villa Park). I don't think I've ever known a gig to take place at my beloved Hawthorns for example.

They could possibly fill the Ricoh in Coventry on a limited tour, but it would be shit.

13 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in Birmingham that accommodates large outdoor gigs, despite plenty of outdoor space and three decent stadiums (and Villa Park). I don't think I've ever known a gig to take place at my beloved Hawthorns for example.

They could possibly fill the Ricoh in Coventry on a limited tour, but it would be shit.

Homies you know Elton does these random stadiums and neglected towns because it's pretty much for the locals that never go to gigs? Queens of the Stone Age won't be off to some random stadium just because they can't fill Wembley Stadium.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say having two mahoosive arenas probably doesn't help, although that's never been a problem for Manchester :unsure: But yeah the Ricoh can bore off, soul-destroyingly corporate and incomprehensibly annoying to get back from late at night. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Homies you know Elton does these random stadiums and neglected towns because it's pretty much for the locals that never go to gigs? Queens of the Stone Age won't be off to some random stadium just because they can't fill Wembley Stadium.

Coventry's Ricoh Arena is a fairly common stop when bands are doing stadium tours.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

shame. Reports back from Elton in Widnes said it was the best thing people around there had known. London 2012-esque sense of bringing people together.

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I'd say having two mahoosive arenas probably doesn't help, although that's never been a problem for Manchester :unsure: But yeah the Ricoh can bore off, soul-destroyingly corporate and incomprehensibly annoying to get back from late at night. 

The Midlands is often missed on stadium tours. Glasgow handles Scotland, Sunderland for the North-East, Manchester for the North-West, Cardiff for Wales, then London.

We get the shithole in Coventry if we're lucky.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Coventry's Ricoh Arena is a fairly common stop when bands are doing stadium tours.

Ooops yah, apologies, I was meaning the places like Ipswich and Walsall. Tho still it probably wouldn't be a stadium tour and more somewhere where bands do one-off stadiums like MK or the London Stadium (if it's still called that?).

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

shame. Reports back from Elton in Widnes said it was the best thing people around there had known. London 2012-esque sense of bringing people together.

Probably was. But as said it's normal folk that don't get to gigs much getting to experience something different. Queens of the Stone Age would be full of Queens of the Stone Age fans rather than excited locals.

1 hour ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

It can only be an improvement on the shambles that it is now

Live Nation had Hyde Park until about 4 or 5 years ago. It wasn't any better when they promoted it.

The problem is that it's a totally unsuitable site for a large gig, with totally unworkable restrictions imposed on it. No promoter could make it a good place for a gig.

Castlefield Bowl would be mega if they could find another couple around the country that size. Probably a bit pointless if they're playing the arena 7 months before though. I'd much rather see them in a decent outdoor venue than an arena with the top tier and back seats not in use.

Hyde Park is, in theory, a great place for gigs & it would a massive shame if they stopped because (and I had sounding like some Brexiteer nostalgia drone) there's actually a fair bit of history to it & it's probably THE place in London (maybe even the UK) the majority of people know about when it comes to live music. 

Someone should probably grow some balls and tell the whiners to put up for two weekends- I bet those complaining are hardly ever in their flats anyway. 

That said, MK Bowl is much more likely, yeah.