Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

Villains is probably about a 7/10 for me. Favourites are Feet Don't Fail Me, Un-Reborn Again and Villains Of Circumstance. It's solid throughout, I just think most of it lacks a wow factor, but still looking forward to hearing a lot of it live. Head Like A Haunted House for example is a good but not great track, but I imagine it'll be brilliant live.

What's everyone else making of the album now it's been out for a little while?

Just in case anyone is enjoying this (Hideaway especially) and hasn't heard the album Post Pop Depression which Josh did with Iggy Pop last year, put that right asap.

Yeah it's a decent enough record. A 7 or 8, I guess.

Been listening to it regularly and found myself skipping tracks 2-4; TWYUTD I can't really be bothered trying with anymore as it just sounds really badly produced/mixed, Domesticated Animals is a plodder - I like some sounds and Mikey's screams sound cool but the lyrics are fulla cliché and it takes forever to get going and Fortress... the synths are kinda badass but fuck that song generally. Worrying that that's almost half the album but the rest of the songs are really strong. Un-Reborn Again, Feet Don't Fail Me faves. The imbalance between top notch songs and duds is obviously reminiscent of Era Vulgaris so I think it's a lot like that album except they are in a much better position to do that now than where they were ten years ago.

edit: also I know some people don't like it when acts do so but I like that they've snaffled a bit of Holiday in Cambodia and made it the bones of HLAHH. IIRC they did it with a Black Flag track to for A Song For the Dead and that's one of the biggest moments of every Queens show so yeah as long as they're cool with it, it's cool.

Edited by dentalplan

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

3 star review in the Guardian. Not that I'm big on reviews but must be their lowest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/aug/27/queens-of-the-stone-age-villains-review-mark-ronson

It got a 4* review in the Guardian the other day. What you posted is the Observer and it's no longer Sunday so I don't have to know about it. :P

Just flicking thru the Guardian's bumf on them (Petridis gave Era 2* fwiw) and spotted this Rated R era live review - interesting offering.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2000/aug/30/artsfeatures.queensofthestoneage

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It got a 4* review in the Guardian the other day. What you posted is the Observer and it's no longer Sunday so I don't have to know about it. :P

Just flicking thru the Guardian's bumf on them (Petridis gave Era 2* fwiw) and spotted this Rated R era live review - interesting offering.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2000/aug/30/artsfeatures.queensofthestoneage

Live review of Era gig didn't fare too well either. Saw a few shows around that time and wasn't particularly impressed. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2007/may/07/popandrock.queensofthestoneage

They were incredible in 2011 when I saw them though. Suppose when a bloke is as busy as Homme theres always going to be peaks and troughs.

On 07/09/2017 at 2:38 PM, mr gumby said:

I guess this is the best place to mention this.

Just saw on Twitter that Josh Homme will be reading the bedtime story on Cbeebies on 6th October at 6.50 p.m.

Reading Zog. A modern classic (in this house at least). 

All together now!

Madame dragon ran a school many moons ago

She thought all the things that dragons need to know

(Join in if you know the chorus!)

Zog the biggest dragon, the keenest one by far would try his hardest every day to win a golden star...

*Drum solo*

I reckon' Villains might be my third favourite Queens album, not a jot on Songs for the Dead or ...Like Clockwork but it would have to be something special to top those. I don't really bother with TWYUTD or Fortress but every other track I really enjoy, Villains of Circumstance in particular. 

3 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

I reckon' Villains might be my third favourite Queens album, not a jot on Songs for the Dead or ...Like Clockwork but it would have to be something special to top those. I don't really bother with TWYUTD or Fortress but every other track I really enjoy, Villains of Circumstance in particular. 

Deaf has a couple real clunkers. "Another Love Song" is a hotmess. I love the record but it ain't their best.

Similarly, but not exclusively, "Kalopsia" throws a bucket of cold water over the rest of that record. A real bummer of a track.

R might be the only one of their records without this *proper stinker* in the window problem.

Listening to clockwork again, it always seems to slip a couple of places after not putting it on for a while then blasts back up the list with the drop in Fairweather Friends. Has me grinning everytime, I love that song, something kinda Beatlesy about it reminds me of (incidently my favourite Beatles song) Happiness is a Warm Gun. Then I think about how good the albums been thus far and get grooving for Smooth Sailing.

It's a fun cycle.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I don't understand why some bands do that. It must be boring for them to play the same songs in the same order every night.

I believe it’s more for the lighting/sound/tech guys so they know exactly what song is coming next.

If a band was just to play what they wanted, when they wanted, then I guess it would be quite a mess as a show/performance.