Queens of the Stone Age

JSmurphy

On 16/08/2017 at 2:58 PM, suttttttt said:

Can't believe the panning Villains has had from some on here! Its class from top to bottom and there are some killer ear worms in amongst it all. A term that springs to mind is 'evolve or die' and Homme and co are nailing the 'evolve' part to the nth degree in my book.

If it's evolve or die, QotSA are dinosaurs that should have died long ago...

Seen them numerous times over the years, but they've really lacked energy since Nick and Mark left. Those Crooked Vultures showed Josh can still knock it out the park when he has the right company, but QotSA post-SftD has been really dull.

• Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, fowls said:

Seen them numerous times over the years, but they've really lacked energy since Nick and Mark left. Those Crooked Vultures showed Josh can still knock it out the park when he has the right company, but QotSA post-SftD has been really dull.

Maybe true until Like Clockwork. Can't really accuse them of not evolving on that record as they shook things up to produce their best received and most popular album since SFTD, and the tour saw them get rid of the inconsistency of their live shows as well. Now they've not only rescued themselves but are on an upward trajectory again, so theres a new generation of fans that aren't thinking about where Oliveri, Lanegan or Grohl are at. Seems good to me.

12 hours ago, fowls said:

...Like Clockwork is possibly their finest work.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I am pumped for tomorrow, have only heard the first single and have avoided all leaks. Can't wait.

Tomorrow starts 4-5 weeks of great album releases - QOTSA, War On Drugs, LCD, The National, Horrors, Wolf Alice... Plus Foos, Killers and Liam Gallagher, which I'll give cursory listens to.

September/October is shaping up nicely. Possibly St Vincent to add to that list as well. 

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Shame the line up remains absolutely dire.

The majority of it seem to fall into 2 categories;

Bands that have been around for ages and are really easy to see a few times a year at least 

or

Bands that I've never heard of (I'll assume they are new and trendy which suits the R&L demographic more than me).

The one exception, and interesting booking in my opinion, is Eminem who despite his aggression/homophobia/misogyny I would like to see at some point. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I wouldn't worry if I were you. He's shite live.

Most Hip Hop/Rap is I find. I feel like I owe it to 2000's Tommy101 though (maybe Tommy86)

I had tickets to see him in Milton Keynes that he cancelled due to some addiction or another. Perhaps I dodged a bullet. I'll probably have a gander at the BBC footage but am quite content at Victorious this weekend. 

Reading was on my doorstep when I was growing up and now Victorious is. I've not had a quiet August Bank Holiday in quite some time. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'll probably have a gander at the BBC footage but am quite content at Victorious this weekend. 

As far as I'm aware, he's not allowing his set to be televised. I saw his set in 2013 and I can see why. It was just awful. Of course there's a chance he'll be decent but I don't see it at all sadly.

My dilemma: I've been waiting for ages for this album, and have even refrained from getting naughty early streams BUT I'm at work until 4, then will be involved with Victorious for most of the weekend so the first time I will probably be able to give it my FULL attention is on Monday. 

Do I listen to it at work with distractions of wait another few days to really get concentrate on the first listen? I'm so conflicted!