Avoiding Bristol on route?

fewcloudy

Each time I've driven to Glastonbury (down the M6 then M5) the sat nav takes me directly through Bristol. It's a terrible part of a long drive, and takes ages.

What is the perceived wisdom on this from those that know the area better than me? Is there a bypass as such, or maybe just a better way?

And if so, what postcode/s could I put in to take me in this different direction?

This year I'll be doing it on Saturday morning about 11am, so hoping that no rush hour must surely help?

Cheers

Junction 23 on the M5 will take you through actual Glastonbury then on to the A361 which leads to the site

so M5, leave at J23

onto A39 heading for Glastonbury Town

then after Glastonbury, switch to A361 which goes past Gate A and the car parks - if you carry on going, you can get to the East side too, but there will be a few diversions.

I've got a row to skirt around Bristol. It's a bit convoluted, but here it is. 

• M5 to Junction15, then on to M4
  • M4 to Junction 19 then ON TO M32 - Look for Ring Road (Make sure you exit M4 and actually get on M32) - Left on A4174 (signposted Kingswood, Frenchay)
  • Immediately come off the M32 at J1
  • Follow the A4174 as it loops around the East of Bristol, across a lot of Roundabouts
  • Eventually, go right on the A4 at a roundabout (signposted Bristol A4, Bristol Airport, Park & Ride Bath Road)
  • Past retail park (TK Maxx, Toys R Us, Lidl), Bus lane is only rush hour
  • Turn left on the A4174 just after Lidl (signposted A4174 Bristol Airport, Whitchurch, Knowle, Stockwood) STAY RIGHT (if you fail to stay right, just go left, then right at the mini roundabout and wait until you meet the A37 to turn Left towards the festival
  • If you get in the right hand lane, continue down that road until you meet the A37 where you turn left (signposted HorseWorld)
  • Turn left onto the A37 and down through to the festival site Signposted Yeoville, Wells)

14 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

I've got a row to skirt around Bristol. It's a bit convoluted, but here it is. 

• M5 to Junction15, then on to M4
  • M4 to Junction 19 then ON TO M32 - Look for Ring Road (Make sure you exit M4 and actually get on M32) - Left on A4174 (signposted Kingswood, Frenchay)
  • Immediately come off the M32 at J1
  • Follow the A4174 as it loops around the East of Bristol, across a lot of Roundabouts
  • Eventually, go right on the A4 at a roundabout (signposted Bristol A4, Bristol Airport, Park & Ride Bath Road)
  • Past retail park (TK Maxx, Toys R Us, Lidl), Bus lane is only rush hour
  • Turn left on the A4174 just after Lidl (signposted A4174 Bristol Airport, Whitchurch, Knowle, Stockwood) STAY RIGHT (if you fail to stay right, just go left, then right at the mini roundabout and wait until you meet the A37 to turn Left towards the festival
  • If you get in the right hand lane, continue down that road until you meet the A37 where you turn left (signposted HorseWorld)
  • Turn left onto the A37 and down through to the festival site Signposted Yeoville, Wells)

Or just stay on M5 to jnc23 and come through Glastonbury, much easier.

you could also get off at 25 come down the A358 to the A303, along to podimore roundabout and then north up A37

36 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Or just stay on M5 to jnc23 and come through Glastonbury, much easier.

you could also get off at 25 come down the A358 to the A303, along to podimore roundabout and then north up A37

Can you do that when the festival is on? Sounds a lot easier than my convoluted route. Assuming that still drops me on the route to the east side of the site.

Actually, looking on the map I do know that route. Had to turn right out of the East Camper fields on year and just followed A303 etc back to the M5. Good shout actually.

Edited by TheNewUnion