Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the missus was a bit put out having to watch footie last night.

She reckoned footie would be more interesting - she said she'd happily watch it - if footie had theme weeks.

So one week you might have the players on roller skates, and the next week they'd be dressed as their favourite muppet. The next week they might have to play when wearing skis, and the week after they might have to wear a deep sea divers costume.

I suggested that she writes to FIFA to see what they think of the idea.

:P

Sepp wanted female players in hotpants so you never know...

just seen Terry mentioned on BBC breakfast.

Apparently he chose Villa because he didn't want to play in the Premier League so he didn't have to play against Chelsea.

And not because no Premier league club would touch him on the extreme-greed wages he tried to extract from the Prem clubs he talked to. :P

5 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

More to do with his complete lack of mobility not being found out as much at championship level. 

He'll still be exposed at that level. A lot of Championship attackers fall either into the category of old school bruisers who'll be bang up for a fight with him or kids with pace to burn but little in the way of technique. It'll be fun watching him up against some of those.

He was given the run around by Peterborough's attack back in January.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He'll still be exposed at that level. A lot of Championship attackers fall either into the category of old school bruisers who'll be bang up for a fight with him or kids with pace to burn but little in the way of technique. It'll be fun watching him up against some of those.

He was given the run around by Peterborough's attack back in January.

Hence the "as much" in my post 

Lacazette for £45m is not a bad bit of business I've got to say. Despite the fact we have been after him for years and probably should have got him sooner, fair play to Wenger for attracting him this summer, when he hasnt got CL to entice with. 

I'm guessing Sanchez is on the way now though

Edit: Just seen sky are reporting £52m now.

Edited by mjsell

We've finally made a signing. Finally.

Never seen LeJeune play, but reports are positive. Still need either another CB or one of Lascalles/Mbemba to start to look comfortable in the Prem though. Clark did a good job last season but isn't Prem quality, Hanley's dogshit and Lascalles and Mbemba are so inconsistent.

Still need a central midfielder and a striker though. Not too reassured about other names we've been linked with.

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Bloody hell, Surprised at Everton. No transfer fee, but Everton paying 250k a week (???). Will play a number 10 role behind Giroud

Hes a Sun journo.

So Linfield vs Celtic. Celtic fans not allowed to travel and the game has been moved from the 12th to the 14th to avoid the Orange marching day.,

What a load of old bollocks. 

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Bloody hell, Surprised at Everton. No transfer fee, but Everton paying 250k a week (???). Will play a number 10 role behind Giroud

Rooney will be a terrible signing for them on the pitch (although I'm sure he'll shift a few shirts), he's been shot for years now. What's the point in signing the young, dynamic players they have so far then dropping at 32 year old Rooney in? Wheezing around the pitch, slowing play down, hooking passes out of play, demanding to play every match, taking every set piece...

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rooney will be a terrible signing for them on the pitch (although I'm sure he'll shift a few shirts), he's been shot for years now. What's the point in signing the young, dynamic players they have so far then dropping at 32 year old Rooney in? Wheezing around the pitch, slowing play down, hooking passes out of play, demanding to play every match, taking every set piece...

I don't think you can ignore the commercial impact. It will raise Evertons profile and probably help them attract players. I think it's a pretty good deal, up to RK to make the most of it on the pitch.

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't think you can ignore the commercial impact. It will raise Evertons profile and probably help them attract players. I think it's a pretty good deal, up to RK to make the most of it on the pitch.

Is he that big a star any more? I think it's telling that he's Manchester United's all time record scorer, yet nobody at the club seems to care that he's on the brink of leaving. Football's a fickle industry and I fear Rooney is already being forgotten.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is he that big a star any more? I think it's telling that he's Manchester United's all time record scorer, yet nobody at the club seems to care that he's on the brink of leaving. Football's a fickle industry and I fear Rooney is already being forgotten.

He'll be remembered a lot more fondly in years to come. Clubs all time scorer, 5 leagues and a champions league.

But he dirtied his bib so many times both professionally and personally his career is tainted in comparison to someone like Scholes or Keane. He asked to leave a couple of times, refused to play on occasion, was seen smoking on holidays a few times, weight fluctuations etc meaning his career has been significantly shortened and hes been fairly useless since he was 28 or 29. Which is sad. 

And his public issues with Ferguson were never going to go well at Old Trafford. Fergie went above and beyond to protect him after he cheated on his missus. Gave him time off etc. He has also been on 250k a week for a lot of that time which is a bit of a slap in the face.