Football 17/18

TheGayTent

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Kit's minging but they've just appointed a better manager than 99% of the population believed they were getting so not sure what "it gets worse for Arsenal" means there.

I reckon they could've done far better than Emery. Simple as that really. 

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

I reckon they could've done far better than Emery. Simple as that really. 

Yeah that's fair but the day you were suggesting was awful for Arsenal fans saw them go from Arteta seeming nailed on to an actual experienced manager being revealed to take over. It was still a positive day in terms of that news even if you think they could have done better than Emery.

Anyway, lots of stuff coming out at the moment about Ancelotti having an agreement to take over at Napoli if Sarri leaves. He supposedly had a meeting with them tonight. So I guess that looks positive for you.

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Anyway, lots of stuff coming out at the moment about Ancelotti having an agreement to take over at Napoli if Sarri leaves. He supposedly had a meeting with them tonight. So I guess that looks positive for you.

Yep, it's looking like Ancelotti will take over there and Sarri will head to Chelsea. Would rather Jardim but if Sarri can get us playing that quicker and improve our passing, I'll be happy! 

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Who would have been better?

Well Ancelotti was available and he's a proven winner but I suppose they wanted someone younger? I think they could have been a bit more bold and gone for someone like Allegri, Low or Simeone. Maybe they did, idk. I know they're all in jobs so it's silly talk really but I reckon Arsenal is a job that lots of top guys would love to take on? But hey, obviously the people in charge know what they're doing and that's why I work in my office and not theirs. Emery was 25/1 so nice one anybody who had a punt on that.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Sarri is a massive risk for Chelsea. Hes had the best Napoli squad since Maradona to work with in a really poor league and hes never won anything, is completely unproven and hes never really worked with big players. A crazy appointment IMO. 

Yeah I'm not into it but we've exhausted a lot of options. I'd like to see Jardim given the chance as I think he would suit the role in relation to the way the club is run.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Well Ancelotti was available and he's a proven winner but I suppose they wanted someone younger? I think they could have been a bit more bold and gone for someone like Allegri, Low or Simeone. Maybe they did, idk. I know they're all in jobs so it's silly talk really but I reckon Arsenal is a job that lots of top guys would love to take on? But hey, obviously the people in charge know what they're doing and that's why I work in my office and not theirs. Emery was 25/1 so nice one anybody who had a punt on that.

Ancelotti has never achieved anything without having shitloads of money and the best squad to choose from, and was sacked from his last job where he apparently barely even coached the players and just expected them to go out and win games themselves. The complete opposite of what Arsenal need after being mollycoddled by Wenger for so long.

Löw hasn't managed in club football for 14 years and didn't achieve anything when he did. He's won things with Germany, yeah, but anyone could have won things with that squad, and like Ancelotti he's never achieved anything without having the best players to pick from.

Majority of Arsenal fans were dead against the idea of either of these, especially Löw.

Allegri and Simeone are of course better than Emery but they both manage better teams than Arsenal and could both get better offers than Arsenal if they decide to leave.

Plus apparently one of the main parts of the recruitment procedure was finding someone who's happy to work within the setup that Arsenal currently have, with Mislintat and Sanllehi the guys in charge of transfers. Emery has worked successfully in similar setups before, and I doubt the likes of Allegri would be happy to have so much power in the transfer market in someone else's hands.

14 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Plus apparently one of the main parts of the recruitment procedure was finding someone who's happy to work within the setup that Arsenal currently have, with Mislintat and Sanllehi the guys in charge of transfers. Emery has worked successfully in similar setups before, and I doubt the likes of Allegri would be happy to have so much power in the transfer market in someone else's hands.

Fair enough! This is what Chelsea should be looking at as well because Conte has done nothing but moan about transfers and players but that's just the way the club is run.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. And a career. Should be captaining England this summer and still the main man at Utd. 

Why?

There's numerous times sir alex said he didn't have the physique to have a long career. You can work hard to keep fitness levels up, which by the sounds of it he wasn't the master of it, but even if he was you have to remember that he started playing a few years before ronaldo. Some people have naturally better bodies to help them keep in shape. Hard work doesn't prevent the inevitable.

Look at David Beckham for example, his legs were probably the first to go from the class of 92 and everyone knows his work rate, and then you have Giggs and Scholes playing in their late 30s and early 40s.

1 hour ago, santowhir said:

Why?

There's numerous times sir alex said he didn't have the physique to have a long career. You can work hard to keep fitness levels up, which by the sounds of it he wasn't the master of it, but even if he was you have to remember that he started playing a few years before ronaldo. Some people have naturally better bodies to help them keep in shape. Hard work doesn't prevent the inevitable.

Look at David Beckham for example, his legs were probably the first to go from the class of 92 and everyone knows his work rate, and then you have Giggs and Scholes playing in their late 30s and early 40s.

Ronaldo was playing in the Sporting first team when he was 16.

Rooney spent his summers drinking, smoking and eating Mickey D's. He looked past it at 28. A young man. When players reach their prime. Ronaldinho was the same, as was fat Ronaldo. Its a waste of a huge part of such a short career.  

Edited by The Nal

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ronaldo was playing in the Sporting first team when he was 16.

Rooney spent his summers drinking, smoking and eating Mickey D's. He looked past it at 28. A young man. When players reach their prime. Ronaldinho was the same, as was fat Ronaldo. Its a waste of a huge part of such a short career.  

Ah fat Ranaldo was proper unlucky with knee injuries but, no? If he doesnt get them he doesnt bloat and we would probably still be talking about him when asking if Messi or Ronnie are the best ever and if they come close to the original Ronaldo (as he would be called in this parallel universe). Fat Ronaldo was utterly lethal when on form and fit

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Ah fat Ranaldo was proper unlucky with knee injuries but, no? If he doesnt get them he doesnt bloat and we would probably still be talking about him when asking if Messi or Ronnie are the best ever and if they come close to the original Ronaldo (as he would be called in this parallel universe). Fat Ronaldo was utterly lethal when on form and fit

Yeah true that. Very unlucky with injuries. Always thought when he got through one on one with the keeper it was like a breakaway try in rugby. He never missed. Either a stepover or a chip. 

giphy.gif

In his prime, Ronaldo I is up there with the best players to play the game. Absolutely loved watching him play. Only reason he has been usurped by Ronaldo II is longevity.

That balance at that speed was insane.