Football 17/18

TheGayTent

33 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Should easily get out of the group.

Last 16 tie with Colombia or Poland? Probably an even match; could go either way.

If we do make it to the quarters it's looking like Germany. We all know what happens there. 

We're pretty much guaranteed to come up against one of the two best teams in the world in the quarters which is annoying. Reaching the quarters will be a successful tournament for us but it'd be nice if we looked set to play someone beatable if we get there.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

33 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

We're pretty much guaranteed to come up against one of the two best teams in the world in the quarters which is annoying. Reaching the quarters will be a successful tournament for us but it'd be nice if we looked set to play someone beatable if we get there.

England held their own very well in the friendlies against Germany and Brazil, they perform better in tournaments but if you're not going to win it then you want to play against the best. 

45 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Germany’s form going in ain’t so great. We could be offered a plum tie if they tumble into 2nd. Or we’d probably decide to then win the group for once and step right into the winner of Brazil v Germany.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

England held their own very well in the friendlies against Germany and Brazil, they perform better in tournaments but if you're not going to win it then you want to play against the best. 

True but I'd just like to see us advance as far as possible. Coming up against someone like Uruguay or Belgium in the quarters and the playing a top team in the semis would be more enjoyable than getting Brazil/Germany in the quarters.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Germany’s form going in ain’t so great. We could be offered a plum tie if they tumble into 2nd. Or we’d probably decide to then win the group for once and step right into the winner of Brazil v Germany.

Yeah but Germany don't tend to be great in friendlies, and then turn it on when it comes to the tournament.

Obviously anything can happen, though, and one or two of the top teams finishing second in their group or falling victim to an upset in the quarters is entirely possible. We could end up playing anyone I guess.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Only just checked the start times. Brazil was much better!

Try living in New Zealand

Edit: In saying that, all the England games are at watchable times - 2 at 6am before work, and 1 at midnight.

Its just the afternoon games (what I assume is a 4pm ko slot in the UK) that are a no go - but I think it is those time slots that get canned in the knock out stages.

Edited by mjsell

4 hours ago, mjsell said:

Try living in New Zealand

Edit: In saying that, all the England games are at watchable times - 2 at 6am before work, and 1 at midnight.

Its just the afternoon games (what I assume is a 4pm ko slot in the UK) that are a no go - but I think it is those time slots that get canned in the knock out stages.

The knockouts will be 2am and 6am for you.

Goes from 12am, 3am, 6am in the group's to 2am, 6am in the knockouts.

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The knockouts will be 2am and 6am for you.

Goes from 12am, 3am, 6am in the group's to 2am, 6am in the knockouts.

Ah yeah true true. But both of England's potential knockout games are the 6am slot so at least I'll see all of their games 

Finals at 3am though which sucks

Edited by mjsell

So looking back what is everyone favourite world cup?

For me its France 98. I loved the Brazil. France, Holland and Argentina teams. It also featured the likes of Ronaldo, Zidane, Salas, Bergkamp, Batistuta, Baggio who were all players that I enjoyed watching. It had worthy winners, Croatia beating Germany, that great Argentina free kick and Bergkamp goal.

I was 18 and able to watch all the games and drink beer which also made a big difference! I think world cup 94 was probably better in terms of talent, but I missed a lot of the games. The last world cup was also great for the group stage.