Football 17/18

TheGayTent

On 6/9/2018 at 10:49 AM, mjsell said:

A sub striker is only being brought on when you are chasing a goal. If you are chasing a goal, the opponent isn't leaving space in behind - hence Vardy is a useless addition to the squad. 

Guarantee he'll still be brought on with 20 to go when 1-0 down to Colombia in the first knockout round and everyone will be surpised when he does nothing...

The big advantage Vardy has over the rest of our strikers, even Kane, is how good a finisher he is. He doesn’t seem to get many chances but he does put them away when they come. In tight matches where chances are at a premium he’s the one you want them falling to.

Edited by Hugh Jass

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The big advantage Vardy has over the rest of our strikers, even Kane, is how good a finisher he is. He doesn’t seem to get many chances but he does put them away when they come. In tight matches where chances are at a premium he’s the one you want them falling to.

Like the last game when he missed a one on one ?

On 6/10/2018 at 1:47 AM, Dan R said:

They agreed already, let him do the medical and seem to have withdrawn at the last minute. Was talk about the deal bring delayed til the end of June for Lyons financial yesr, but its all pretty odd.

Didnt Liverpool want a second opinion on an old injury? I read he "passed" the medical, but obviously if they wanted another opinion they were not happy with some aspect of it. Maybe one of the tests on the injury met pre defined pass thresholds but only just? 

As to what happened thereafter, I dont know. Lyon being a publicly owned company may have something to do with it. They very much have to watch what they say and what is being said about their club, and maybe they did not like the limited information and "leaks" coming out about the potential deal and how it maybe showing the club in a negative light?? How that sort of stuff could impact their share price would be a concern and so maybe they felt the thing to say was that the deal is not done and that their captain will be with them next season. If the narrative is/was that the deal is not happening due to an injury to their best player then the impact on the share price could be very negative. 

Who knows, but it is silly season and this sort on deal on/deal off is gold for footie news outlets and papers.......

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

My suspicion is that after a bit of posturing from both sides the deal will get done. Going from a midfield three of Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum to Keite-Fabinho-Fekir would be one hell of an upgrade.

Henderson is better than the three of them 

Edited by TheGayTent

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Didnt Liverpool want a second opinion on an old injury? I read he "passed" the medical, but obviously if they wanted another opinion they were not happy with some aspect of it. Maybe one of the tests on the injury met pre defined pass thresholds but only just? 

As to what happened thereafter, I dont know. Lyon being a publicly owned company may have something to do with it. They very much have to watch what they say and what is being said about their club, and maybe they did not like the limited information and "leaks" coming out about the potential deal and how it maybe showing the club in a negative light?? How that sort of stuff could impact their share price would be a concern and so maybe they felt the thing to say was that the deal is not done and that their captain will be with them next season. If the narrative is/was that the deal is not happening due to an injury to their best player then the impact on the share price could be very negative. 

Who knows, but it is silly season and this sort on deal on/deal off is gold for footie news outlets and papers.......

this is a good, even handed look at it. Basically, liverpool wanted a reduced price because of the injury issue and Lyons took umbrage at the leaks around it

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Yeah seems a bit clearer that there definitely was an issue with the medical, seems they weren't happy with the way his ACL had healed and then it all fell apart. Might have been a bit of last minute attempts at negotiating but if they weren't convinced he could stay fit there's not much that can be done, and that's a priority considering Ox and Lallana already have injury problems.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

My suspicion is that after a bit of posturing from both sides the deal will get done. Going from a midfield three of Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum to Keite-Fabinho-Fekir would be one hell of an upgrade.

I reckon they'll continue to negotiate after the World Cup, but valuations may differ if there's medical concerns. Honestly the options in midfield now already look so much stronger. Though I still think Hendo is so underrated, as a player and a captain.

From reading the twitter of a lot of the trusted journalists (mainly from the Liverpool Echo) I would say this Fekir deal is now really unlikely. I don't really see the problem with what Liverpool have done. They were due to spend around £50mil on a player who they had medical concerns about. They are well within their rights to go back to Lyon and try to renegotiate a price. 

If I was buying a house and then a survey came back saying there was one wall which may potentially collapse I think I'd be going back with a lower offer, too.

I'm quite glad we seem to be a lot more shrewd with transfer dealings than we used to be.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

From reading the twitter of a lot of the trusted journalists (mainly from the Liverpool Echo) I would say this Fekir deal is now really unlikely. I don't really see the problem with what Liverpool have done. They were due to spend around £50mil on a player who they had medical concerns about. They are well within their rights to go back to Lyon and try to renegotiate a price. 

If I was buying a house and then a survey came back saying there was one wall which may potentially collapse I think I'd be going back with a lower offer, too.

I'm quite glad we seem to be a lot more shrewd with transfer dealings than we used to be.

You would of thought they would of known about his injury history with his knee. 

Saying that Utd didn't with hargreaves. :wacko:

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

round of 16.

The second round is potentially fascinating. I don't think England have much to fear from any of Poland, Colombia (who aren't the side they were four years ago), Senegal or Japan. The flip side is that all of those teams will be thinking exactly the same thing about us. Should be a decent match-up whoever we end up meeting out of that group.

5 hours ago, Dan R said:

Though I still think Hendo is so underrated, as a player and a captain.

As a player I think most see him as decent but Liverpool could do better. If they put him up for sale I doubt the top premiership teams would be interested. I don't really see him as underrated or overated.

Not sure how your judging his captaincy. Correct coin toss calling or the way he wears his armband?

Round of 16.

I love group H, that and group D are the two I'm most excited for. Four 2nd tier teams in each group with no idea who will qualify from them.

And I'd also say that whoever gets out of group H will be very prepared to face England, who'll have beaten Panama and probably Tunisia without really having much trouble before a narrow loss to an underutilised Belgian team.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Round of 16.

I love group H, that and group D are the two I'm most excited for. Four 2nd tier teams in each group with no idea who will qualify from them.

And I'd also say that whoever gets out of group H will be very prepared to face England, who'll have beaten Panama and probably Tunisia without really having much trouble before a narrow loss to an underutilised Belgian team.

I agree D and H are the best groups, but wouldn't really call Argentina a second tier team. A description I would give the likes of Belgium, England and Portugal.