Football 17/18

TheGayTent

7 hours ago, Retro P said:

About time too. 

yeah, pretty amazing it's not happened sooner really - tho knighthoods for football are a rare thing. Kenny is definitely one who deserves to be on that list.

7 hours ago, Retro P said:

Surprised by Defoe’s OBE, fair play to him though. 

much happier with this award than the one to beckham for services to haircuts.

15 hours ago, jyoung said:

Vardy definitely looks lost when teams sit back. Somebody mentioned it on here before and it looked spot on last night.

I stand by that Vardy shouldn't be in the squad let alone anywhere near the team. Would have been much better to have a player that offers a last minute plan b. 

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I stand by that Vardy shouldn't be in the squad let alone anywhere near the team. Would have been much better to have a player that offers a last minute plan b. 

But Vardy does, IMO. He's the sort of player who might get one for England when the team is under the cosh of a better team.

Kane is much better overall of course but he ceases to have much threat if England are being pinned back because he's unlikely to get near the goal with the ball, whereas a ball over the top to Vardy might lead to something.

There's an amount of luck to that working out, but if we're going to beat a better team we'll need to create that chance for some luck.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It may be the wrong thread but I think they should get rid of honours completely!

I agree wholeheartedly.

All the same, they exist, and if they exist I want to see them go places I think are appropriate - and in the scheme of things, Kenny & Defoe aren't bad ones.

59 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But Vardy does, IMO. He's the sort of player who might get one for England when the team is under the cosh of a better team.

Kane is much better overall of course but he ceases to have much threat if England are being pinned back because he's unlikely to get near the goal with the ball, whereas a ball over the top to Vardy might lead to something.

There's an amount of luck to that working out, but if we're going to beat a better team we'll need to create that chance for some luck.

Shame there's no one in the squad to play it over the top for him.

He's a good option against the better teams but my worry is we'll only use him when we're losing and need a goal, when the other team will be sat back and he'll be neutralised. I'd still take him, though, for sure. Who are we gonna take instead?

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

my worry is we'll only use him when we're losing and need a goal, when the other team will be sat back and he'll be neutralised.

yeah. He'd be great to bring on against a better team at 0-0 with 10 minutes to go, but less useful at 1-0 down.

I think his bite-yer-ankles hassling would still be useful at 1-0 down tho. That's another something-different he brings.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

A sub striker is only being brought on when you are chasing a goal. If you are chasing a goal, the opponent isn't leaving space in behind - hence Vardy is a useless addition to the squad. 

Guarantee he'll still be brought on with 20 to go when 1-0 down to Colombia in the first knockout round and everyone will be surpised when he does nothing...

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

A sub striker is only being brought on when you are chasing a goal. If you are chasing a goal, the opponent isn't leaving space in behind - hence Vardy is a useless addition to the squad. 

Guarantee he'll still be brought on with 20 to go when 1-0 down to Colombia in the first knockout round and everyone will be surpised when he does nothing...

Who would you choose?

24 minutes ago, Retro P said:

Lyon want to wait for him to have a storming WC before any proper negotiations. 

They agreed already, let him do the medical and seem to have withdrawn at the last minute. Was talk about the deal bring delayed til the end of June for Lyons financial yesr, but its all pretty odd.

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

Lyon want to wait for him to have a storming WC before any proper negotiations. 

His stock can only really go up during this world cup. He's not going to start many (if any games) but could easily come on and have an impact in the last 20 of games - and if he doesn't then it's not really a negative for him.