Football 17/18

TheGayTent

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Amazon have bought the remaining Premier League package for 2019/2020. 20 games. Either 20 matches from one bank holiday and one midweek fixture programme or 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes. 

So if you want access to all matches you'll need Sky Sports, BT Sports and Amazon now. :suicide:

Or you could just go to the pub for the matches you want to watch ? 

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so, what have 2 friendlies taught us... apart from we're not going to win the world cup?

Don't know what you are talking about. Football's coming home. 

Edited by mjsell

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so, what have 2 friendlies taught us... apart from we're not going to win the world cup?

ha! 

i think it shows there is some depth to the England team for once. And that delph was very good and should probably start

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And that delph was very good and should probably start

:blink:

Can't agree with that, particularly with how all the drive disappeared when he moved into the middle towards the end.

Was well impressed with TAA's corners and free kick. That's the best set of just-about-perfect deliveries I can remember from an England team, as every one landed in about the right spot (as opposed to hitting the first defender, going way past, etc, etc). Not entirely sure he deserves a first 11 spot, but he didn't do himself any harm.

(did he also get the assist for Rashford's goal? Not sure if that was him or not)

Edited by eFestivals

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:blink:

Can't agree with that, particularly with how all the drive disappeared when he moved into the middle towards the end.

Was well impressed with TAA's corners and free kick. That's the best set of just-about-perfect deliveries I can remember from an England team, as every one landed in about the right spot (as opposed to hitting the first defender, going way past, etc, etc). Not entirely sure he deserves a first 11 spot, but he didn't do himself any harm.

(did he also get the assist for Rashford's goal? Not sure if that was him or not)

Delph completed 93 out of 97 passes and created 2 chances (most of any England player). He dropped of a little at the end but he was great for the most part IMO

and i agree on TAA. hence depth:-)

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Delph completed 93 out of 97 passes

and yet at half time I had to check the web for the line-ups, because I thought I'd heard Delph mentioned once but couldn't identify him on the pitch.

(I'd tuned in 10 seconds after kick off, so had missed who was in the team).

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and yet at half time I had to check the web for the line-ups, because I thought I'd heard Delph mentioned once but couldn't identify him on the pitch.

(I'd tuned in 10 seconds after kick off, so had missed who was in the team).

ha! fair enough, but not everyone in the team has to be in the spotlight. He did his job well!

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Does pass completion rate really show much? 

Yeah, I've always wondered that. A player can get a great rate by never making a difficult pass.

I thought Henderson had an effective game yesterday, but I can easily remember a few of his passes that went astray - but they were the sorts of passes that would have got a player in on goal had they come off (and some did come off). They're worth more than sideways passes.

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah, I've always wondered that. A player can get a great rate by never making a difficult pass.

I thought Henderson had an effective game yesterday, but I can easily remember a few of his passes that went astray - but they were the sorts of passes that would have got a player in on goal had they come off (and some did come off). They're worth more than sideways passes.

It also counts an over hit pass on to a players wrong foot as better than a perfect pass to a player who isn't concentrating and misses the ball. I think its pretty meaningless.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

true, but Delph did create the most chances for England, so id say he was better than that.

31 minutes ago, zahidf said:

true, but Delph did create the most chances for England, so id say he was better than that.

whether it was a chance or not depends on more than just what the passer did, plus a pass can be just as important in breaking down the other side when it's not the pass immediately before 'a chance'.

For example, I'm pretty sure more than 2 of Henderson's sharp passes got thru to where he intended, it's just that they didn't result in "a chance" because of what happened next, not within anything of Henderson's control.

So I don't think stats like that really tell the full story (tho I'm really arguing against the idea of Delph's passing being important if the stats are decent).

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

And RLC would have got an assist for Rashfords goal... which was a 5 yard pass that had a miniscule role to play in the goal. 

The actions of the player that receives the pass plays a huge factor in the slanting of stats. 

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Enjoyed the first half last night, got distracted during the second half so don't really remember it, but definitely feeling optimistic about a solid if unspectacular World Cup performance.

Really impressed with Henderson and Rashford last night, definitely feel they should be starting. Bit disappointed with Vardy, I'm hoping he'll be a high-impact sub. Also think TAA and RLC gave good accounts of themselves and wouldn't be worried about them playing a big part.

Edited by Dan R

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Really impressed with Henderson and Rashford last night, definitely feel they should be starting. Bit disappointed with Vardy, I'm hoping he'll be a high-impact sub. Also think TAA and RLC gave good accounts of themselves and wouldn't be worried about them playing a big part.

Rashford looked sharp. Love it when a player will dribble with the ball and take on defenders. Torn between him and Sterling tbh as both offer that directness but sometimes lack the decision making. Rashford pips it for me as I think he is a stronger goal threat for us.

Vardy definitely looks lost when teams sit back. Somebody mentioned it on here before and it looked spot on last night.

RLC is strong on the ball which we need. He draws fouls by getting his body in the right position. For a big man, he's comfortable both holding on to it and moving with it - would like to see him in a more attacking position but I appreciate there are others literally ahead off him there.

I like the look of the wing backs taking corners and free kicks too. 

Looking forward to it!

Welbeck can play a crap game but still score a goal if needed. Good to know as a sub!

Non world cup news, johnny evans moves to leicester for 3.5 million due to his relegation release clause. I bet west brom wished they accepted 20 million in jan from arsenal!

Kane signs new 6 year contract with spurs for 200k a week. i expect eriksen, lloris and ali to follow suit