Football 17/18

TheGayTent

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Fakir in liverpool for a medical

Liverpool doing their business very quickly!

And Real have given up on Poch. Levy is too much of a headfuck for them to negotiate with

I think the Fekir “news” was incorrect.

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Im in Spain for that. If Spain go all the way Ill be in Madrid for the semis and the final too. Nice bit of atmos.

Enjoy lad. I'll probs be watching on the sofa in my city centre flat with a view of drug dealing / taking and prostitution in the car park below my balcony. Nice bit of atmos.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

From my experience of the last world cup some of the best matches were group stage matches featuring the less fancied teams, in the late time slot. I think spain v Portugal has stinker written all over it.

I think it has 3-1 Spain written all over it.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Not sure what's so funny, fans enjoyed a trip away to the champions league final? Or is it that they're still feeling optimistic despite losing?

No problem with that but I found the follow rather ironic, ignorant and self indulgent...

• "We break new ground and tread the unknown path, paving the way for those who follow."
  • "While the stage was set in Kyiv, getting to that stage seemed more and more of an impossible feat as time passed by. For most sets of fans, the white flag would have been raised sharpish, but we don’t operate that way. It’s not in our DNA."
  • "It transpired to me that we hadn’t really lost that final — we just didn’t win it."
  • "The sheer glee from other teams’ supporters at our defeat may be a bit of jealousy or hatred or a fear of our success. Maybe it’s just the harmless fun we have in laughing at our rivals expense, which we all do. It seems a little over the top though, doesn’t it? I like it, me. We’re relevant and it winds them up. Deep down, it’s the acknowledgement that they’ll never have what we have. No matter how hard they try, they can’t create what we have — nobody comes close."
Edited by jyoung

17 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No problem with that but I found the follow rather ironic, ignorant and self indulgent...

• "We break new ground and tread the unknown path, paving the way for those who follow."
  • "While the stage was set in Kyiv, getting to that stage seemed more and more of an impossible feat as time passed by. For most sets of fans, the white flag would have been raised sharpish, but we don’t operate that way. It’s not in our DNA."
  • "It transpired to me that we hadn’t really lost that final — we just didn’t win it."
  • "The sheer glee from other teams’ supporters at our defeat may be a bit of jealousy or hatred or a fear of our success. Maybe it’s just the harmless fun we have in laughing at our rivals expense, which we all do. It seems a little over the top though, doesn’t it? I like it, me. We’re relevant and it winds them up. Deep down, it’s the acknowledgement that they’ll never have what we have. No matter how hard they try, they can’t create what we have — nobody comes close."

Fair enough, it's pretty self-aggrandising and self indulgent, but around Liverpool there definitely was a feeling of something special this season so nothing wrong with enjoying it, even if it does go overboard a bit.

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I find it difficult to make that assessment without having seen his games for Germany, or having seen much of Brandt. It's a tough squad to get in.

Yeah, I said outrageous more due to the fact that someone of his talent isn't even going to the world cup - not because its an odd decision. By all accounts he has never played well for Germany and doesnt fit into the system they like to play - so must be seen as unnecessary player, who's spot can be better filled (Brandt is liked by Low due to him fitting the teams system better)

But Sane would walk into pretty much every other squad in the tournament - and probably about 90% of first 11s as well I'd say.

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

To what other players is Yaya referring.

The only one that comes to mind that fits the bill is Samuel Eto'o. There's presumably others Yaya might be referring to that weren't regulars though.