Football 17/18

TheGayTent

On 5/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, jyoung said:

Looks like Frank Lampard will be taking over at Derby. A fantastic position for him to test himself in an extremely challenging league. A tough first job but I expect him to rise to the occasion. 

@chemica thoughts?

I'm actually really excited for this one. 

It could really blow up in our face, but we've tried everything else and failed. So why not? It'll certainly get fans back onboard after a year of hoofball. 

I really wish him well!

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Given how few lower league teams make it to the 5th round I really don’t see the issue.  By that stage in the competition teams are only two games from Wembley so crowds don’t tend to fluctuate too much, barely any matches at that point are played 3pm Saturday anyway.

I don't care if it's a few teams that make it through. There are relatively few teams who are big draws overseas, I'm not that bothered about prioritizing the needs of the super rich.

It also doesn't matter if the game is 3pm. If it's a weekend game it will generally give the opportunity for more fans to go. An away trip on a Tuesday or Wednesday excludes many (particularly younger ) fans. To me the FA cup is about families and we should protect that tradition. The super rich can look after themselves.

8 hours ago, chemica said:

I'm actually really excited for this one. 

It could really blow up in our face, but we've tried everything else and failed. So why not? It'll certainly get fans back onboard after a year of hoofball. 

I really wish him well!

Announcement today. I'll certainly be watching with a keen eye. I think you're getting a good coach in Jody Morris as assistant. He's knuckled down at Chelsea and worked his way through the youth achieving great things along the way. Obviously the big test begins now.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Scumbag sterling

:rolleyes:

Stop for a moment, and think.

You've just provided the evidence to show that there's more than one side to the interest in Sterling.

Now, if you can join up the dots, you'll find that newspapers writing about him is driven by the interest in him - and so they'll write about him, both good and bad.

And that your claims about only* writing about Sterling to be racist is off-the-mark.

(* note, that's not me saying none of it is racist.)

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:rolleyes:

Stop for a moment, and think.

You've just provided the evidence to show that there's more than one side to the interest in Sterling.

Now, if you can join up the dots, you'll find that newspapers writing about him is driven by the interest in him - and so they'll write about him, both good and bad.

And that your claims about only* writing about Sterling to be racist is off-the-mark.

(* note, that's not me saying none of it is racist.)

none of those are from the Sun...

But fair point. i pointed to specific papers coverage of him, but ill acknowledge that not ALL negative coverage is driven by racism. Id say linking him to random stabbing in sheffield and adding the word 'again' to his statement about never holding a gun are on the wrong side of the line

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

none of those are from the Sun...

But fair point. i pointed to specific papers coverage of him, but ill acknowledge that not ALL negative coverage is driven by racism. Id say linking him to random stabbing in sheffield and adding the word 'again' to his statement about never holding a gun are on the wrong side of the line

One of those is from the Mail online. It shows there's not a constant media campaign actively trying to portray him as a gangster.

21 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'm sure someone equally as rich would be interested in taking over so it's not really a problem in that respect but I like Roman.

It doesn’t matter how rich they are, would they use it as a play thing like roman and city owners is another question.

Thats the question Chelsea and City fans must ask themselves when the club isn’t built on anything solid.

Edited by thetime

11 hours ago, jyoung said:

Announcement today. I'll certainly be watching with a keen eye. I think you're getting a good coach in Jody Morris as assistant. He's knuckled down at Chelsea and worked his way through the youth achieving great things along the way. Obviously the big test begins now.

I don't know enough about the Chelsea youth setup. Are the players generally homegrown or poached?

I hope Lampard keeps up his fine start at being a bit sassy in press conferences.

Q: We saw you at the League 2 play off final, is that the level of players you are looking at?

A: I'm also going to the World Cup, that doesn't mean I'm signing Lionel Messi

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There aren't any unlimited supply of people that rich. Those who are may feel other clubs have more potential.

FFP means nowadays that a billionaire cannot just buy a club like West Brom and pump them up the table anymore (something Wolves are about to discover), so it's unlikely that someone would buy them as a passion project/plaything like Roman did. The cost would also be so greatly prohibitive that no one individual would stump up for them, especially as they are highly unlikely to make a profit on such a huge investment.

Most likely buyers would be some sort of consortium, either from the US, maybe an entity that already owns a few sports teams and is looking to diversify, or from China, and even they are pulling back from overseas investment.

Whoever bought Chelsea next would not be pumping Roman levels of cash into the club, that's for sure.

Edited by Hugh Jass

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't know enough about the Chelsea youth setup. Are the players generally homegrown or poached?

The majority have played for Chelsea since 8 years old. We do occasionally move for the odd teen who is touted as the next big thing (Ampadu from Exeter, Gilmour from Rangers) but generally speaking, as I said, most of them have only ever played for Chelsea youth.

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Whoever bought Chelsea next would not be pumping Roman levels of cash into the club, that's for sure.

Absolutely. Though its questionable whether they would need to. I think (though I'm not certain) Roman has made us pretty much self sufficient. In recent years he's been much stricter with the finances that's for sure...

8 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I’m aiming to get a free pass for next time a naked Jessica Alba wanders into our bedroom at 4 am.