Football 17/18

TheGayTent

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If I was Derby I wouldn't pick Lampard and if I was Lampard I wouldn't pick Derby. The club are apparently cutting back, which I think will make it difficult to succeed.

Not as difficult as Gerrard at Rangers, surely?! I read about the cut backs as well. I think Frank will be able to bring in one or two. Maybe some Chelsea youngsters on loan as well? Apparently Jody Morris is leaving the U18s and going to be his assistant. He's done a great job with our youth, so. 

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well this clearly is ridiculous

it is ridiculous and shouldn't be done, yet at the same time there is a theme that ties it all together (or at least was, until Sterling gave his explanation for the tat).

Like it or not, that's the sort of association anyone might be inviting by having a machine gun tattoo.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it is ridiculous and shouldn't be done, yet at the same time there is a theme that ties it all together (or at least was, until Sterling gave his explanation for the tat).

Like it or not, that's the sort of association anyone might be inviting by having a machine gun tattoo.

with someone being stabbed and a gun? so, if it was Kanes tattoo, that exact paragraph would have been written that way?

i appreciate other footballers get shit. But surely, Raheem Sterling is the only person I’ve ever seen criticised for both shopping in Poundland & hiring a private jet. Or eating brekfast and proposing to his girlfriend!  He is literally criticised whatever he does by certain members of the press. And a tatto he tried to keep to himself is his business really, esp given his reasons for it 

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

with someone being stabbed and a gun? so, if it was Kanes tattoo, that exact paragraph would have been written that way?

possibly not, tho Kane isn't black to be as strongly associated with black culture where guns are a big thing.

I'm not trying to justify what they've done, I'm pointing out that it's not been cooked up from nothing - and that it can't be cooked up at all without Sterling first getting an ill-advised tat that was always going to get comments along the line it has done (that it looks like a happy promotion of gun culture).

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Raheem Sterling is the only person I’ve ever seen criticised for both shopping in Poundland & hiring a private jet.

I've not seen that but then again I don't bother with tabloids.

But both are *EXACTLY* the sort of story that tabloids love to write about (particularly young) people with too much money. It's got naff all to do with skin colour, it's about a story about someone that others want to read about. Spending big is a story, as is seeming to be miserly when you're rich.

38 minutes ago, zahidf said:

He is literally criticised whatever he does by certain members of the press.

And he's also lauded.

The point is him, personally. A famous person that people want to read about. That people are happy to read trash is a different problem.

38 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And a tatto he tried to keep to himself is his business really, esp given his reasons for it 

yeah, because a tat on a footballer's leg will always be just his business. :lol:

Look, he might have genuine good reasons for it (tho I'm not getting that from his explanation) but getting a gun tattoo'd on a major footballer's leg was going to invite big comment, where little was likely to be flattering. He knew that or he's very stupid.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

possibly not, tho Kane isn't black to be as strongly associated with black culture where guns are a big thing.

I'm not trying to justify what they've done, I'm pointing out that it's not been cooked up from nothing - and that it can't be cooked up at all without Sterling first getting an ill-advised tat that was always going to get comments along the line it has done (that it looks like a happy promotion of gun culture).

So they are writing and treating sterling differently because of his race...

thats kinda my point really.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I've not seen that but then again I don't bother with tabloids.

But both are *EXACTLY* the sort of story that tabloids love to write about (particularly young) people with too much money. It's got naff all to do with skin colour, it's about a story about someone that others want to read about. Spending big is a story, as is seeming to be miserly when you're rich.

And he's also lauded.

The point is him, personally. A famous person that people want to read about. That people are happy to read trash is a different problem.

yeah, because a tat on a footballer's leg will always be just his business. :lol:

Look, he might have genuine good reasons for it (tho I'm not getting that from his explanation) but getting a gun tattoo'd on a major footballer's leg was going to invite big comment, where little was likely to be flattering. He knew that or he's very stupid.

you dont think his explanation is correct at face value? that he really loves guns and he is using his dads death to get out of trouble?

Sounds unlikely.

Can't believe this stuff still goes on. My great uncle was killed by the nazi's in world war II and people still get the wrong idea about the massive swastika I have on my chest commemorating him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

you dont think his explanation is correct at face value? that he really loves guns and he is using his dads death to get out of trouble?

Sounds unlikely.

I think it's plausible that he is telling the truth. I also think it's plausible that he had a stupid idea (not unusual for a footballer) and has come up with a way of covering himself.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont think most people would do that. 

His reason for having the tattoo is the same if he is telling the truth or covering his back, I think both are possible.

I can completely believe he would have a stupid tattoo and go into damage control. What is the time frame from him having the tattoo and then announcing the reason? If it's same day or before, I accept he is probably genuine.

Talking about Kane comparison, I imagine (unlikely scenario) that he wanted a gun tattoo, he would ask an advisor and then decide it's a dumb idea.

33 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So they are writing and treating sterling differently because of his race...

No, they're writing about him in that way because he better matches some factual characteristics than the comparison of Kane would do.

35 minutes ago, zahidf said:

thats kinda my point really.

It gets non-sensical when you're saying "that's racist because you're recognising he's black" when you're claiming it's racist by recognising he's black. :lol:

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

get cross tattoed?

Because they haven't read the book. Leviticus 19:28.

A devote christian getting a tattoo is probably up there with Raheem.

Edited by lost

I'm confused. The last time I checked there are several black players in the England squad. Do the media target all of them because of their race?

From a quick look (of which I'm probably adding up wrong) theres 11 black players in our current squad of 23. Papers must be chocka right now, writers in meltdown.

13 hours ago, mjsell said:

I'm confused. The last time I checked there are several black players in the England squad. Do the media target all of them because of their race?

From a quick look (of which I'm probably adding up wrong) theres 11 black players in our current squad of 23. Papers must be chocka right now, writers in meltdown.

im sure the stories on rashford and ali are ready to go if necessary

Im just surprised they linked Sterling to knife crime when jordan pickford has a tattoo of a dagger. Whats the difference i wonder?

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

im sure the stories on rashford and ali are ready to go if necessary

Perhaps. And if they act the dick, it'll be a story that'll be published.

The point being, it's the acting the dick that's the trigger, same as it is for stories about white players.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Im just surprised they linked Sterling to knife crime when jordan pickford has a tattoo of a dagger. Whats the difference i wonder?

Sterling has a hugely greater profile.

Sterling has a history of acting the dick, of which the tat might be regarded as a further one.

Sterling is known to like his bling, his rap, and his drugs, around a particular musical culture - where guns and gang violence fits alongside perfectly.

Etc, etc, etc. 

It's going waaaay too far to use it in that stabbing story you highlighted and yet all of those links are there, nothing to do with his skin colour. 

Whilst I do think that Raheem Sterling was naive to get the tattoo, he is definitely being victimised. That's not to say other players wouldn't have been too. Just worth pointing out that even Sky Sports News have had a go:

What I will never understand about the English press is why they always seem to do all they can to demoralise their national team before a Euros/World Cup - then have a massive pop at them for getting knocked out. Is it really any wonder?

I'm Welsh, I can hardly talk about massive sporting success however the one thing that stood out during Euro 2016 was the way that the entire nation, including the newspapers, all got behind the team. Seems England could do with the same thing?

Edited by DareToDibble