Football 17/18

TheGayTent

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

its about his dead dad who was murdered when he was very young. Maybe some of his fans have similar stories and may see him as a good example to follow?

And it isnt prominent, the Sun did an extreme close up of it. it will be covered up by socks/trousers anyway. and its unfinished. And its up to him how to commemorates his dad

I think he has to commemorate his dad accepting he lives in a world where he is a role model to children. There are good ways to do this, he has chosen a bad one.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

its not whataboutery. The racism in the way certain sections of the press treat sterling is relevant to this particular instance. I dont think you can seperate it.

Just because some criticism might be driven by racism doesn't get to mean that all criticism is by-default-racist. :rolleyes:

You suggesting it is is racist.

and i think its up to him how he wants to commemorate his dad

And it's up to everyone else if they want to think him a twat for that.

It only becomes racist if they think he's a twat because he's black. Need a dictionary?

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Sterling can justify it to himself however he wants. :rolleyes:

Other people can form an opinion on what Sterling says. To do so is not (by default) racist.

To me, yes. I'd consider anyone having one the same twat.

If you want to free-pass people on the colour of their skin, fair enough, but that makes you what you condemn.

im not free passing him

He has given what i think is a reasonable explanation. Its an unfinished tatto he was keeping private until the Sun got involved. i dont see the need to jump on his back in the circumstances.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

If hes good it will be. We've no idea if hes any use.

Klopp has picked up a few cracking players to be fair. 

hes highly rated: i read somehhere he had a 88% pass completiong rate last season

Utd and PSG also wanted him. An upgrade in that position

Edited by zahidf

He has given what i think is a reasonable explanation.

I'm sure he thinks it is.

Other people are also allowed a view. :rolleyes:

Its an unfinished tatto he was keeping private until the Sun got involved. i dont see the need to jump on his back in the circumstances.

it's a tattoo that would have become public at some point. 

Meanwhile, anyone having a tattoo of a weapon of death is a twat. Tell me where the racism is there, please, or STFU.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

so you dont think sterlings message is good enough then?

Are all gun tattos automatically off limits?

If Wrexham had a policy which did not allow players to have gun tattoos, I would completely support it. The message is fine, but I think its an inappropriate way of expressing the message

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

its not whataboutery. The racism in the way certain sections of the press treat sterling is relevant to this particular instance. I dont think you can seperate it.

and i think its up to him how he wants to commemorate his dad

Just because his race has influenced negative coverage in the past, doesn't mean he can never be judged for his actions

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So we've no idea then.

I certainly dont. He is Brazilian and has a great Brazilian name for a footballer and it seems he cost about €50m. Must be a great signing, right?? 

*trundles off to watch some "welcome to Anfield" highlight packages someone threw together that will make Fabinho look like the best CM in the world! 

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

I certainly dont. He is Brazilian and has a great Brazilian name for a footballer and it seems he cost about €50m. Must be a great signing, right?? 

*trundles off to watch some "welcome to Anfield" highlight packages someone threw together that will make Fabinho look like the best CM in the world! 

Haha yeah. Thats how its done for all fans these days.

Hears a name that vaguely rings a bell

Youtube the players "2017/18 skillz",

"Oh wow we're going to win the league".

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Haha yeah. Thats how its done for all fans these days.

Hears a name that vaguely rings a bell

Youtube the players "2017/18 skillz",

"Oh wow we're going to win the league".

From what I've seen of Monaco in the CL over the last few years he looks pretty good. More of a holding midfielder than someone who is going to bomb forward and score loads of goals (he does take a good penalty though). At Monaco he was the guy who sat back and let Lemar, Bernardo, Balde, etc do their thing, sounds exactly what Liverpool could do with.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'm sure he thinks it is.

Other people are also allowed a view. :rolleyes:

it's a tattoo that would have become public at some point. 

Meanwhile, anyone having a tattoo of a weapon of death is a twat. Tell me where the racism is there, please, or STFU.

i guess you hate the arsenal fans with gunners tattos as well.

Weopen of death. No excuse.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

i guess you hate the arsenal fans with gunners tattos as well.

I'd think them a twat too. As well as the geezer (1000's of them) with MUFC tattoo'd on his knuckles.

It's the twat thing that gives papers the angle-in for this story, not that Sterling is black. If Rooney had a twatty tattoo it would be all over the papers too.

Whatever else might go on around Sterling isn't relevant to this instance. The fact that it's a twatty tattoo stands up all by itself.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd think them a twat too. As well as the geezer (1000's of them) with MUFC tattoo'd on his knuckles.

It's the twat thing that gives papers the angle-in for this story, not that Sterling is black. If Rooney had a twatty tattoo it would be all over the papers too.

Whatever else might go on around Sterling isn't relevant to this instance. The fact that it's a twatty tattoo stands up all by itself.

if a certain paper attacks one individual numerous times, i dont see how that history isnt relevant to future coverage. they use code words to attack him with his blackness: for example, obssessing over how he spends his money and calling him 'lazy'.

If Rooney got a MUFC tatto a few years ago, no way hed be attacked. Moreno and Delaney from Crystal palace have tattos with guns on them. The paper do 'wacky tattoos' features on them. If kane got one, itd be the same with him. Sterling gets different treatment for some reason.

After all, Sterling was literally the subject of racially motivated assault a few months ago. The press taking every oppurtunity to have a go at him for normal behaviour like spending his money, eating breakfast and getting his mum a nice sink contribuites to that sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

if a certain paper attacks one individual numerous times, i dont see how that history isnt relevant to future coverage.

in which case Rooney was racially targeted by the newspapers...? :P :lol:

Because it's the same thing. "Famous footballer has story we can write about going on".

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If Rooney got a MUFC tatto a few years ago, no way hed be attacked.

but if Rooney got a machine gun tattoo'd on his leg, he very definitely would be. :rolleyes:

Particularly if it looked like it had been done by a 5 year old, as Sterling's currently does.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Moreno and Delaney from Crystal palace have tattos with guns on them.

which you know about because...? I'm guessing the papers have written about them too (or at least Moreno's. WTF is Delaney? :P).

But they're nowhere near as prominent players. They're also not England players, with hopes pinned to them.

Top targets are always England players, and particularly an England player with something to ridicule. The biggest twats are the biggest easy targets for the tabloids.

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

After all, Sterling was literally the subject of racially motivated assault a few months ago.

so because Sterling was once violently racially attacked, that means all attacks on Sterling are only driven by racism? :lol:

I suggest you go take some vitamin pills or something. You're in need of something.

22 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The press taking every oppurtunity to have a go at him for normal behaviour like spending his money

because they've never done that with white players...? :lol:

The commonality between them isn't skin color, it's famous kids with too much money.

Edited by eFestivals

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

in which case Rooney was racially targeted by the newspapers...? :P :lol:

Because it's the same thing. "Famous footballer has story we can write about going on".

but if Rooney got a machine gun tattoo'd on his leg, he very definitely would be. :rolleyes:

Particularly if it looked like it had been done by a 5 year old, as Sterling's currently does.

which you know about because...? I'm guessing the papers have written about them too (or at least Moreno's. WTF is Delaney? :P).

But they're nowhere near as prominent players. They're also not England players, with hopes pinned to them.

Top targets are always England players, and particularly an England player with something to ridicule. The biggest twats are the biggest easy targets for the tabloids.

so because Sterling was once violently racially attacked, that means all attacks on Sterling are only driven by racism? :lol:

I suggest you go take some vitamin pills or something. You're in need of something.

as i said before, the white players with gun tattos had 'oh, look at that silly tatto, what a silly boy' rather than what they are saying about sterlings tats. For some footballers, its a light hearted list of silly tatts. For others, it front page news.

The attacks on sterling seem a lot more consistent than attacks on anyone else in the English set up. They literally ran a story on drug dealers with Sterlings picture as the main illustration, even though he had zero connection to the story!

Im saying if someone is racially assaulted because of a target you put on them by having a go at them for no reason, then you should maybe not put another target on them.

anyway, i liked these two articles on it. I will leave it there

http://twohundredpercent.net/dog-whistling-tabloids-audible/

https://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-special-raheem-sterling-the-sun-and-racist-attacks

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Looks like Frank Lampard will be taking over at Derby. A fantastic position for him to test himself in an extremely challenging league. A tough first job but I expect him to rise to the occasion. 

@chemica thoughts?

If I was Derby I wouldn't pick Lampard and if I was Lampard I wouldn't pick Derby. The club are apparently cutting back, which I think will make it difficult to succeed.

56 minutes ago, zahidf said:

if a certain paper attacks one individual numerous times, i dont see how that history isnt relevant to future coverage. they use code words to attack him with his blackness: for example, obssessing over how he spends his money and calling him 'lazy'.

If Rooney got a MUFC tatto a few years ago, no way hed be attacked. Moreno and Delaney from Crystal palace have tattos with guns on them. The paper do 'wacky tattoos' features on them. If kane got one, itd be the same with him. Sterling gets different treatment for some reason.

After all, Sterling was literally the subject of racially motivated assault a few months ago. The press taking every oppurtunity to have a go at him for normal behaviour like spending his money, eating breakfast and getting his mum a nice sink contribuites to that sort of thing.

I would criticise anyone with the tattoo Sterling has, I would also happily accept my club not allowing gun tattoos and they have a fraction of the exposure.

The names you mentioned are lower profile who get paid significantly less. I think Kane gets the same reaction with the same tattoo.

21 minutes ago, zahidf said:

as i said before, the white players with gun tattos had 'oh, look at that silly tatto, what a silly boy' rather than what they are saying about sterlings tats. For some footballers, its a light hearted list of silly tatts. For others, it front page news.

Some footballers barely get a paragraph. Sterling gets the full back page for stories both good and bad.

But just the bad stories are racist about good footballers? :lol:

The attacks on sterling seem a lot more consistent than attacks on anyone else in the English set up.

Except Rooney, Beckham, Gazza, and all of the others the papers have put up for ridicule over the years. :rolleyes:

They literally ran a story on drug dealers with Sterlings picture as the main illustration, even though he had zero connection to the story!

Not this story.

Im saying if someone is racially assaulted because of a target you put on them by having a go at them for no reason, then you should maybe not put another target on them.

Or alternatively, there's nothing to rationalise when someone holds irrational hatred.

Cos otherwise it's rational hatred and you'll have to spend the rest of the day (and probably your life) revising your view of what racism is.