Football 17/18

TheGayTent

27 minutes ago, mjsell said:

From everything I've read, theres not been much to say that his style of football is especially boring. Could you explain?

I'm not going to take much notice of his time at PSG because I get the sense that he wasnt allowed to play/manage the way he normally would - So anyone with good knowledge of his time at Sevilla/Valencia who could shed more light on the 'dour footie' comment would be much appreciated.

I like what I've read about actually having some defensive tactical awareness.

You might find this interesting: 

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

He didn't do badly at PSG either. He won 4 cups and a league in 2 seasons. It was just the champions league that was his downfall

No I didnt specifically mean he failed at PSG, just that I can't imagine it is a fair representation of what he normally brings as a manager - and wont translate to the tools he will be given at Arsenal.

Saying that, and I realise Monaco had a great year the year they won it, but any time PSG don't win the league these days will/should be considered a bit of a failure.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I read that earlier, incredibly disrespectful and typical Madrid attitude.

Insinuating that she Zidane leaves Klopp will be theirs. That we only have 3 good players and nothing in our midfield is anything to worry about.

I really hope their words come back to haunt them. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

46 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I read that earlier, incredibly disrespectful and typical Madrid attitude.

Insinuating that she Zidane leaves Klopp will be theirs. That we only have 3 good players and nothing in our midfield is anything to worry about.

I really hope their words come back to haunt them. 

To be honest, I think most of what the article says is true. Liverpool are fragile, panic sets in easily, even if 3-0 up and the other team gets one back, you can sense the nerves. Yes, they've improved a lot over the course of the season but that worry hasn't gone away. The second leg at City is what we need to cling on to, they were held at bay but it may have been different if they didn't have a disallowed goal and decisions tend to go Real's way.

Experience is a major factor in these games but if the players rise to the occasion, anything could happen. 

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

To be honest, I think most of what the article says is true. Liverpool are fragile, panic sets in easily, even if 3-0 up and the other team gets one back, you can sense the nerves. Yes, they've improved a lot over the course of the season but that worry hasn't gone away.

I'd say it mostly has. For example, when they quickly went behind to City in the 2nd leg it didn't panic them at all.

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The second leg at City is what we need to cling on to, they were held at bay but it may have been different if they didn't have a disallowed goal and decisions tend to go Real's way.

Experience is a major factor in these games but if the players rise to the occasion, anything could happen. 

I have Real as strong favourites, yet I can also see that Liverpool might rip them to shreds with an embarrassing scoreline. That's what makes it such a great final (on paper).

Liverpool have been pretty damned good over the last couple of seasons at turning up for the big games so fingers crossed that's what we get.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say it mostly has. For example, when they quickly went behind to City in the 2nd leg it didn't panic them at all.

I have Real as strong favourites, yet I can also see that Liverpool might rip them to shreds with an embarrassing scoreline. That's what makes it such a great final (on paper).

Liverpool have been pretty damned good over the last couple of seasons at turning up for the big games so fingers crossed that's what we get.

I can't remember an English team ever putting in a top performance in a champions league final, I hope Liverpool (win or lose) put that right.

RE Chelsea's CL win. I suppose different people rate 'top performance' differently. We had Ivanovic and Terry suspended + a 21 year old LB called Ryan Bertrand making his CL debut playing as a left midfielder... Bayern 'outplayed' us but we defended for our lives, Cech saved a pen in extra time and not to mention, we scored as many goals... And won!

Anyway, it gets worse for Arsenal... New kit...

Edited by jyoung

35 minutes ago, jyoung said:

RE Chelsea's CL win. I suppose different people rate 'top performance' differently. We had Ivanovic and Terry suspended + a 21 year old LB called Ryan Bertrand making his CL debut playing as a left midfielder... Bayern 'outplayed' us but we defended for our lives, Cech saved a pen in extra time and not to mention, we scored as many goals... And won!

I quite like it. What's wrong with it? We just appointed Emery so it's not going that bad. Most excited I have been for the new season for ages

9 hours ago, zahidf said:

Tentative thumbs up from me. Pointless if he’s forced to sell to raise transfer funds mind...

Possibly a sign Tripp Smith is more than just a silent shareholder. 

Edited by TheGayTent

5 hours ago, jyoung said:

I very rarely enjoy the park the bus approach. I found it entertaining when Huddersfield did it, but don’t want to see Europe’s top teams playing that way.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

So, now that the Arsenal job turned out to be wrong, wonder what's really gone on between Klopp and Buvac. 

Anyone have any ideas?

I heard it was the Arse job, he went for an interview without telling Klopp and they fell out over it

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I heard it was the Arse job, he went for an interview without telling Klopp and they fell out over it

ah, k.

Just googling about it, suggestion is Klopp will be appointing ... the guy who left Liverpool in January to become a manager (and failed). 

Might as well just get Buvac back. :P

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

So, now that the Arsenal job turned out to be wrong, wonder what's really gone on between Klopp and Buvac. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Was it family reasons? My boss is a liverpool season ticket holder and that is what he reckons, no idea if accurate though.