Football 17/18

TheGayTent

On 5/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, pink_triangle said:

I cant remember the last time I was less interested in a cup final.

Is that because of the teams involved? Or the over saturation and how the game is going. 

I remember a time in the 80’s and 90’s when it didn’t matter who was involved pretty much everyone was glued to the screens, it was still by far the biggest day in the calendar. 

Perhaps more and more games on tv, top teams thinking top 4  is more important than actual trophies. Mid table teams and relegation threatened teams playing weakened sides through the competition.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

Is that because of the teams involved? Or the over saturation and how the game is going. 

I remember a time in the 80’s and 90’s when it didn’t matter who was involved pretty much everyone was glued to the screens, it was still by far the biggest day in the calendar. 

Perhaps more and more games on tv, top teams thinking top 4  is more important than actual trophies. Mid table teams and relegation threatened teams playing weakened sides through the competition.

The teams involved both in terms of style and the fact that winning the trophy will quickly be forgotten by both clubs as they have both won so much in recent history.

40 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The teams involved both in terms of style and the fact that winning the trophy will quickly be forgotten by both clubs as they have both won so much in recent history.

Speaking on behalf of the Chelsea fans, whilst it won't save our season it certainly won't be quickly forgotten. Everyone wants that trophy. Maybe the younger fans won't be as assed but it still holds a special relationship for many.

53 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Speaking on behalf of the Chelsea fans, whilst it won't save our season it certainly won't be quickly forgotten. Everyone wants that trophy. Maybe the younger fans won't be as assed but it still holds a special relationship for many.

When people discuss Chelsea 2000-2020 it will be considered quite a minor event. For Wigan and Portsmouth winning the thing it's a huge part of their history.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When people discuss Chelsea 2000-2020 it will be considered quite a minor event. For Wigan and Portsmouth winning the thing it's a huge part of their history.

Thats how you perceive it, I dont think you can really talk about chelsea fans and how they feel about the trophy. 2 of my fondest memories in football is attending the 1983 and 1985 cup finals as much as the glory years in fergies era. 

17 minutes ago, thetime said:

Thats how you perceive it, I dont think you can really talk about chelsea fans and how they feel about the trophy. 2 of my fondest memories in football is attending the 1983 and 1985 cup finals as much as the glory years in fergies era. 

The FA cup was much bigger in those days as you said, they wouldn't have dared putting a royal wedding against it!

I have no doubt that this final will make a huge impact on some fans, but as a whole it won't compared to a Wigan fan knowing you have seen the biggest moment in your clubs history and it probably won't happen again.

13 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Arteta as manager and a 50m budget by the sounds of it. No chance they're moving up from 6th next season. 

I don't think many Arsenal fans expect to move much from 6th position. It's going to be at least 2 seasons of rebuilding. Finishing in the top 4 next season will be a bonus for me rather than an expectation.

Can see Ramsey leaving this Summer, he's got one year left on his contract and his words on Arteta the other week sounded like he didn't think he was ready to manage Arsenal.

I don't think he was saying that Arteta isn't ready. I think he was saying that he didn't expect him to get the job. I don't see how he would really know whether he is ready or not. 

I do think there is a chance he will leave though. It's in his hands due to us letting his contract run down. I think he should be made captain. He's the best candidate and it may persuade him to stay.

Tiny budget and presumably little control over recruitment with Mislintat there. Don't see why he'd want to take the job at all.

I think most managers would love to work with Mislintat. He's world renowned for spotting talent. It's getting much more common that managers do not have full control over recruitment so I don't think there are many clubs he could go to where he would have much control.

Only benefit to the Arsenal job is he'd have greater job security, but for someone with his reputation that probably wouldn't matter; if he was sacked at Chelsea in a couple of years he'd walk into another top job.

There are far more benefits to taking the Arsenal job than greater job security. You are underestimating the pull of a club like Arsenal. Klopp joined Liverpool when he could have waited it out for a team higher in the league and with a better squad. Liverpool's history and size attracted him. The same can be said for Arsenal in their current situation. Managers will jump on the chance to manage such a huge club (this is highlighted by the reportedly high level of interest in the role). On top of that, we have our philosophies on how football should be played and promoting youth. If a manager agrees with these principles we will be a very attractive option. There is far more to it that current squad ability and budget.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd really shouldve won that. Chelsea arent great apart from a couple of players. Utd dire up top though. Think both clubs will be busy this summer. They need to be anyway. 

Wouldn’t trust Jose with vast sums of money, only 3 of his signings started today.

He has spent big money on centre backs and starts Fergies signings. 

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Why isnt Bailly playing? Hes clearly the best defender at the club. 

Well jose’s Reasons were bailly isn’t in the World Cup, so he has to be fair to others. :rolleyes:

bullshit but they probably fell out.

49 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd really shouldve won that. Chelsea arent great apart from a couple of players. Utd dire up top though. Think both clubs will be busy this summer. They need to be anyway. 

Jose tactically schooled today.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Is Hazard going to stick around at Chelsea? Comfortably their best player and facing another season in the Europa. Could be on his bike if someone stumps up the cash.

Could be just happy in London playing in the prem, quick hop on the Eurostar to home on his days off. 

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

Could be just happy in London playing in the prem, quick hop on the Eurostar to home on his days off. 

Statements he made sounds like he wants to stay in London, but wants Chelsea to show some intent in getting big trophies. Pretty fair stance really, and doesn't sound like he's gonna force a move.