Football 17/18

TheGayTent

58 minutes ago, zahidf said:

its fair to say, regardless to how the next week pans out, that liverpool fans were a lot happier this season than Utd fans

As it seems to be with them, if we get hammered this forum will light up like a Christmas tree. They’ll be happy then.

29 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

As it seems to be with them, if we get hammered this forum will light up like a Christmas tree. They’ll be happy then.

To be fair you Liverpool guys always disappear when it’s not going to well, look at them all coming out of the woodwork on here this season. 

The stick myself and nal have had last few years, I’m sure you loyal scousers can take a jab or 2.

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

To be fair you Liverpool guys always disappear when it’s not going to well, look at them all coming out of the woodwork on here this season. 

The stick myself and nal have had last few years, I’m sure you loyal scousers can take a jab or 2.

I love seeing how spiteful you lot have become. Its ace. City cruising to 100 points and LFC in a CL final. All good fun.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Newcastle's accounts have finally been published. Wage budget somehow went up 30 mil in the championship :huh:

No wonder HMRC were looking into the club. I don't get it.

So apparently they've included future wages in it. This seems totally wrong to me. PR stunt to avoid backing Rafa again.

14 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

So apparently they've included future wages in it. This seems totally wrong to me. PR stunt to avoid backing Rafa again.

My understanding was that it included all bonuses in the contracts signed, including signing-on bonuses, for that year, plus end of season bonuses for the year before (not that many should have got that). They also didn't subtract the wages from players loaned out with wages covered by another club, instead treating that as income from elsewhere for some reason.

Arsenal want Arteta as manager. Just a matter of Arsenal convincing him to come apparently.

I've heard a fair amount of negativity about this from Arsenal fans. I can see why as he has no experience. Someone like Allegri would certainly unite the fan base much more.

For me though, I am optimistic. The amount of praise Arteta has got from Wenger and Pep must be for a reason. It would also be an appointment that continues our philosophy of hand picking unestablished talent and giving them a platform. 

17 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Arsenal want Arteta as manager. Just a matter of Arsenal convincing him to come apparently.

I've heard a fair amount of negativity about this from Arsenal fans. I can see why as he has no experience. Someone like Allegri would certainly unite the fan base much more.

For me though, I am optimistic. The amount of praise Arteta has got from Wenger and Pep must be for a reason. It would also be an appointment that continues our philosophy of hand picking unestablished talent and giving them a platform. 

yeah, i can't really see how Arteta would have ended up as a coach at City if he didn't have something 'special' going for him. 

You don't find out without trying if he's special at manager level, but any manager is a risk.

36 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I applaud Arsenal for trying something new, rather than the usual route teams go.

I wish my club would do the same. 

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

My understanding was that it included all bonuses in the contracts signed, including signing-on bonuses, for that year, plus end of season bonuses for the year before (not that many should have got that). They also didn't subtract the wages from players loaned out with wages covered by another club, instead treating that as income from elsewhere for some reason.

Seems dodgy to me. 

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

I wouldn't take the Arsenal job if I was Allegri, doesn't seem a step up.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It is obviously not a step up in terms of the respective squad's abilities but replacing Wenger is prestigious in its self. Along with an opportunity to work in the premier league and increase his own wages, I can see why it would be attractive to him. Regardless it's looking increasingly unlikely he will be taking over.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

It is obviously not a step up in terms of the respective squad's abilities but replacing Wenger is prestigious in its self. Along with an opportunity to work in the premier league and increase his own wages, I can see why it would be attractive to him. Regardless it's looking increasingly unlikely he will be taking over.

I just think if he is patient he could get a premier (or other top league) job, with a better chance of success and get paid more. I'm not sure having the 4th/5th budget in the league is that attractive.

7 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Arteta as manager and a 50m budget by the sounds of it. No chance they're moving up from 6th next season. Can see Ramsey leaving this Summer, he's got one year left on his contract and his words on Arteta the other week sounded like he didn't think he was ready to manage Arsenal.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Tiny budget and presumably little control over recruitment with Mislintat there. Don't see why he'd want to take the job at all. His contract is up next Summer and he'll surely get better offers than the Arsenal job then; maybe even United if Jose has his typical 3rd season at a club. Even if he were to leave now, the Chelsea job would surely be more attractive. Only benefit to the Arsenal job is he'd have greater job security, but for someone with his reputation that probably wouldn't matter; if he was sacked at Chelsea in a couple of years he'd walk into another top job.

Plus they're a worse team than Juve, of course.