Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Feel a bit for Bertrand. Has been in all previous squads, never shown himself up, been one of Southamptons only consistant players over the last season or two and is sacked off in place of someone that has been second choice for spurs this season and two midfielders that can play left back.

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

Feel a bit for Bertrand. Has been in all previous squads, never shown himself up, been one of Southamptons only consistant players over the last season or two and is sacked off in place of someone that has been second choice for spurs this season and two midfielders that can play left back.

Yeah, he has been hard done by. I think Southgate has left him out because he is going to play wing backs rather than full backs. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nearly, he just needs to win the chumps for liverpool or the WC for Egypt this summer, and he's there.

And no, I'm not thinking either are happening.

He needs to do it over 5-10 seasons to be even mentioned in the same way as Messi and Ronaldo. 

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

He needs to do it over 5-10 seasons to be even mentioned in the same way as Messi and Ronaldo. 

nah. Both were being talked of in godly terms after just a season or two of showing their high skills.

I'm quite happy to agree that a one-season wonder shouldn't make a list of that level tho - tho i don't think anyone sensible will be think salah a one season wonder. Much like when skippy hit top level you knew it wasn't a flash in the pan by how he'd built up to it over the previous seasons.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

nah. Both were being talked of in godly terms after just a season or two of showing their high skills.

I'm quite happy to agree that a one-season wonder shouldn't make a list of that level tho - tho i don't think anyone sensible will be think salah a one season wonder. Much like when skippy hit top level you knew it wasn't a flash in the pan by how he'd built up to it over the previous seasons.

I think there's a tiering system for players:

Obviously Messi and Ronaldo are way out on their own.

Next you have the players who are phenomenally talented and have been doing it consistently for a number of years both domestically and internationally and/or in Europe - Iniesta, Neymar, Silva, Neuer, (there are others, these are just examples)

Then the players who are supremely talented and/or have the potential to become greats (also those with lucrative marketing potential) - De Bruyne, Hazard, Pogba, Bale, Isco,

As great as Salah has been this season he's still only in that third tier for me. Another couple of seasons or two before he can think about moving up.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Look at a player like Ronaldinio who shone brightly for a few years and faded quickly. Your right Messi and Ronaldo were talked up quickly but their reputations were enhanced as they continued.

46 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Good season if you lose the Cup final Manyoo fans?

A "meh" of a season if Chelsea win. A good bit of progress mind you. Fairly comfortably 2nd all season, from 6th last year, 12 extra points, 25 wins vs 18, 6 draws vs 15, beating all the top 6 etc. Summer very important. A few jabronis need clearing out. And just as importantly, more attractive football needed.

But yes, what he said.

42 minutes ago, thetime said:

It’s always a bad season for united if a trophy isn’t won.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Look at a player like Ronaldinio who shone brightly for a few years and faded quickly. Your right Messi and Ronaldo were talked up quickly but their reputations were enhanced as they continued.

Up there with the best ever for a couple of years but a complete pisscat unfortunately. 

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

As great as Salah has been this season he's still only in that third tier for me. Another couple of seasons or two before he can think about moving up.

Another season at least, definitely - but his progression is indicative of getting there, I'd say. I'm not thinking he's going to be a one season wonder.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Another season at least, definitely - but his progression is indicative of getting there, I'd say. I'm not thinking he's going to be a one season wonder.

people still say Kane is a one season wonder (adding a season every year) :-) 

unless he gets a terrible injury or liverpool sack klopp and bring pulis in, i doubt he will suddenly be rubbish next season

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

people still say Kane is a one season wonder (adding a season every year) :-) 

unless he gets a terrible injury or liverpool sack klopp and bring pulis in, i doubt he will suddenly be rubbish next season

Not suddenly rubbish but a lot of players struggle to live up to amazing seasons for a number of reasons - opposition doubling up, defenders figuring them out, added pressure and expectation, head turned by inevitable transfer links, etc...

Edited by Hugh Jass

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I would argue he could still have a very good season next year without reaching the heights of this season. There are many people who are not one season wonders, nor are they Ronaldo or Messi.

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue he could still have a very good season next year without reaching the heights of this season. There are many people who are not one season wonders, nor are they Ronaldo or Messi.

Dele Ali and sterling being cases in point

And hazard!

• Downvote 1