Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

Southgate must be going with the 3 at the back with that squad. Stacked with defenders. Not a playmaker in sight which is a big worry. Where is the creativity going to come from? 

I think with two in the middle, and Henderson going start, Alli and Lingard will have that responsibility. As long as we don't see the Dier and Henderson midfield two I'm happy.

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I think with two in the middle, and Henderson going start, Alli and Lingard will have that responsibility. As long as we don't see the Dier and Henderson midfield two I'm happy.

I'm expecting to see Henderson-Dier-Alli in midfield tbh. Bore our way to 0-0 draws with Tunisia and Panama. The England way.

Can't get my head around Wilshere not making the squad with Ox and Lallana injured/not fit. Southgate really doesn't like him eh.

7 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

None of those players would hold the ball up well. We would keep losing possession. 

Got to start Kane up front in my opinion. Our only truly world class player. 

Ultimately I don't disagree with you about Kane or about the faults of the three I suggested. I'd still like to see it tried tho. Relying on Kane and his style (with those players) isn't going to take us all the way.

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Yeah, that looks to be the case. I can see us really struggling to break down defensive teams. I know I'm biased but I think it is baffling Wilshere wasn't picked instead of one of the 6 full backs/wing backs that have been picked.

Just now, jyoung said:

Have you been sniffing glue?

Yep. :)

I'm thinking we don't have great creativity in midfield, so we'll need to open up teams in other ways - and the speed and tenacity of those three would do it.

They'd fuck up often of course, but sometimes they wouldn't. And it wouldn't be a bore.

Based on that squad I'd imagine an XI of:

-----------------------Pickford----------------------------

-----------------Walker Stones Maguire---------------

TAA/Trippier------------------------------------Rose

------------------Henderson Dier/Alli-------------------

----Sterling-----------------------------------Lingard/Welbeck

----------------------------Kane-------------------------------

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Based on that squad I'd imagine an XI of:

-----------------------Pickford----------------------------

-----------------Walker Stones Maguire---------------

TAA/Trippier------------------------------------Rose

------------------Henderson Dier/Alli-------------------

----Sterling-----------------------------------Lingard/Welbeck

----------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Was more of a 352 in the last friendlies, wasn't it?

--------------------Pickford

---------Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier Henderson Dier Alli Young/Rose

----------------Sterling Kane

Henderson and Alli the more advanced of the CMs, like Lingard/Ox were in the last friendlies.

Either way, Alli won't play in a midfield 2. If the formation is what you've posted then Alli will be in the Lingard/Welbeck position.

My line up for the first game (assuming no injuries):                                        

Butland

Kyle Walker - Harry Maguire - John Stones - Danny Rose

J Henderson - Eric Dier

Sterling                Alli               Welbeck

Kane

Formation - It is hard to fit Alli, Sterling and Kane all into the team when we play with 3 CBs. So I prefer a 4-2-3-1 which suits our team and our play style (or at least what Southgate wants our play style to be).

GK - It's a tough choice, all 3 could be picked. Probably too early for Pope. Between Butland and Pickford, I think Butland has the higher potential so I'm going for him.

RB - Fairly easy choice for me. Trippier a good back up.

CBs - Not a lot of quality to choose from. After some thought, I think we should go for the youthful options. I don't want to see Cahill start, his time has past and he's played poor this season.

LB - I know he's not had a great season but Rose is our best left back by quite some way in my opinion.

CMs - It has to be Dier and Henderson for me. Not really any viable alternatives. Loftus-Cheek and/or Lingard can come on if we need a spark.

Wingers - Sterling has to play. Then on the left it is a toss up between Welbeck and Rashford. I'm going for Welbeck due to his good form towards the end of the season. I don't fancy Lingard on the wing, prefer him through the centre. 

CAM - Alli every day. Lingard a good back up option as well. 

ST - Our only world class player Kane has got to start. Some good options on the bench if we fancy trying two up top.

Overall our team completely lacks creativity. We will be relying on moments of brilliance from Alli, Kane and Sterling to score the goals rather than opening teams up by moving the ball about. 

Edited by CRW5252

21 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I’d go 

Jack Butland

Kieran Trippier, Gary Cahill, John Stones, Fabian Delph

Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Danny Welbeck, Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy Marcus Rashford.

Swap Cahill for Sterling. That teams too defensive 

8 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

My line up for the first game (assuming no injuries): 

Mine would be largely the same as that, save for Butland. I'm a fan of using full backs and Kyle Walker is a world class one (Delph and Rose strong ones too) but we'll see how it goes - can't see Southgate setting out the stall the same for Panama and Belgium. 

Not very English of me but I'm very pleased with the team and potential starting lineups. Reaction seems same as always, an outcry over picking one player who isn't likely to feature much over another player who isn't likely to feature much. :lol:

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

None of those players would hold the ball up well. We would keep losing possession. 

Got to start Kane up front in my opinion. Our only truly world class player. 

I agree he would have to start, but he wouldn't meet my definition of world class. I think he lacks consistency in big games.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Moyes to Everton, Big Sam to West Ham? Oh, hang on... :P

There's quite a strong move towards younger managers at the mo. Those two could find a next job difficult.

Sam (despite his many other massive flaws) is a good relegation firefighter. I can see him getting a job around Dec when someones season is going south.

Moyes says he has another job lined up.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

That may be the trend preseason, things may be very different mid season.

very true.

I was thinking Sam would be a good bet for any of the relegated clubs. Whatever else might be said of him he knows how to build a solid team, and he'd get them up and keep them up, established as a Prem club.

Then retire him, with the funds and club-appeal (as established-Prem) to get a decent manager and players.

It means a few years of dirge but gives the best chance at a solid future.