Football 17/18

TheGayTent

19 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'd pick Hart for the squad not based on form or with the idea that he'll play but simply because he has the experience. He'll be useful around the camp.

I remember reading somewhere that Reina was always considered a really useful squad member despite the fact he knew he would never play.

GKs - Pickford, Butland, Pope

DFs - Walker, Trippier, Maguire, Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Young,

MFs - Dier, Wilshere, Alli, RLC, Henderson, Lingard, Sterling, Lallana

STs - Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

As always I would still love to take a big man striker, but there just isnt any you could justify. Carroll being the only real option and that's obviously not going to happen.

When you are 1 down with 20 minutes left at a world cup, bringing on Vardy is going to do sweet fuck all. In fact, if we are agreeing that Kane is the permanent starter up top then  I struggle to see many scenarios where Vardy makes sense at all. 

Edited by mjsell

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I remember reading somewhere that Reina was always considered a really useful squad member despite the fact he knew he would never play.

Yep. Spain have been blessed over the years with v good 'keepers.

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

As always I would still love to take a big man striker, but there just isnt any you could justify. Carroll being the only real option and that'  obviously not going to happen.

When you are 1 down with 20 minutes left at a world cup, bringing on Vardy is going to do sweet fuck all. In fact, if we are agreeing that Kane is the permanent starter up top then  I struggle to see many scenarios where Vardy makes sense at all. 

Carroll definitely not deserving of a place. I completely disagree with what you're saying about Vardy. With twenty minutes to play, brining on someone with his grit and determination could make a huge difference. He will make the runs and bully the defenders. When the opposition tires towards the end, that would be the ideal time to bring him on.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Carroll definitely not deserving of a place. I completely disagree with what you're saying about Vardy. With twenty minutes to play, brining on someone with his grit and determination could make a huge difference. He will make the runs and bully the defenders. When the opposition tires towards the end, that would be the ideal time to bring him on.

Problem is if the opposition are sitting back (which is likely if we're chasing the game) he's nowhere near as useful.

I don't buy the experience argument for Hart. If you're arguing that the 3rd keeper will never play, then I'd prefer to take an extra outfield player than a useless keeper who can't do anything right.

Though, personally, I would start Pope.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I don't buy the experience argument for Hart. If you're arguing that the 3rd keeper will never play, then I'd prefer to take an extra outfield player than a useless keeper who can't do anything right.

Though, personally, I would start Pope.

FIFA rules state you have to take three keepers.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Problem is if the opposition are sitting back (which is likely if we're chasing the game) he's nowhere near as useful.

Probably correct. That said, Andy Carroll wouldn't be the answer. It's not as if he's Giroud or Dzeko is it?!

So arsenal are now the only team in the football league yet to get a point away from home in 2018. A truly staggering achievement. 

Also, well done to Huddersfield - there performances against the top 6 this season have been phenomenal. 

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

I see David Wagner getting poached this summer, he’s done a truly great job and looks at home in the Premier League. 

there's 'paper gossip that Leicester want him.

Astounding really, picking up a point each against City and Chelsea when everyone seemed to think their last 3 fixtures would have them dead and buried.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Huddersfield may struggle next season, if I was him I would cash in my chips.

No idea if they'll struggle or not, but I agree that he'd probably be wise to move on. Whatever the achievement next season it probably won't rank as high as this one.

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

It’s like Sean Dyche, I don’t see Burnley going much further and his stock is pretty high right now. He doesn’t owe them anything and should get more offers this summer and rebuking a few this year. 

dyche probably wants to have a go in Europe with Burnley

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

im amazed no one is going after Rafa either after what he did with a below average squad and ashleys penny pinching

i don't think Rafa is doing anything special with a squad that's average-ish with average-ish spends.

Just because Rafa complains that he's not being given the funds to compete at the top level doesn't mean he's having it tough.

Last 5 year spends:-
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i don't think Rafa is doing anything special with a squad that's average-ish with average-ish spends.

Just because Rafa complains that he's not being given the funds to compete at the top level doesn't mean he's having it tough.

Last 5 year spends:-
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

didnt he not got any new players this year but just loans?

21 minutes ago, zahidf said:

didnt he not got any new players this year but just loans?

No idea, but even loans are available resources he can make use of - and he obviously considered them good enough to take on loan.

Rafa's a moaner whatever the circumstances. All he's really saying is "I could do so much better if I had better players" but all managers would claim that.

He's doing OK with what he's got available to him. He might be over-achieving a bit, but not by very much.