Football 17/18

TheGayTent

Just now, zahidf said:

Well unless European clubs dont change as well, then clubs could have their best players want to go without a replacement sort outable

Yeah just realised it makes shit all difference as teams abroad will still come in for players. It should be closed altogether, outgoings included, prior to the first game.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

sounds to me like it's going to work worse for prem clubs and not better - cos they'll lose players they won't be able to replace.

Yeah this is completely true. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Wonder if other countries will follow?

50 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

sounds to me like it's going to work worse for prem clubs and not better - cos they'll lose players they won't be able to replace.

Will they lose them? English clubs no longer have to sell to anyone, just ask Liverpool, Southampton, West Brom, Arsenal...

We spend more in England than most other European clubs (barring the likes of Real and PSG), the market will still be skewed in our favour. Only the players that clubs want to let go will leave. You're more likely to see clubs spending money upfront on deadline day knowing that they can still offload one or two.

I think it's great to have the transfer window shorter. Clubs just won't sell anyone after the deadline unless the player is surplus. Foreign clubs will know it is near impossible to sign prem players after the deadline so they will take this into account. I reckon other leagues will follow suit eventually. There is no doubt the debate will be brought up in other countries after this news.

56 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I think it's great to have the transfer window shorter. Clubs just won't sell anyone after the deadline unless the player is surplus. Foreign clubs will know it is near impossible to sign prem players after the deadline so they will take this into account. I reckon other leagues will follow suit eventually. There is no doubt the debate will be brought up in other countries after this news.

Sounds fine in theory but release clauses are becoming more prevalent and would leave clubs very exposed in that time.

3 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Sounds fine in theory but release clauses are becoming more prevalent and would leave clubs very exposed in that time.

Release clauses are not prevalent in the prem and clubs would know not to set low ones. I believe it is required for la liga players to have a release clause hence why they are so common over there 

20 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Release clauses are not prevalent in the prem and clubs would know not to set low ones. I believe it is required for la liga players to have a release clause hence why they are so common over there 

I just think more players will start wanting them now prem clubs are in such strong positions financially, it's been the sticking point with Emre Can's new deal.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Will they lose them? English clubs no longer have to sell to anyone, just ask Liverpool, Southampton, West Brom, Arsenal...

We spend more in England than most other European clubs (barring the likes of Real and PSG), the market will still be skewed in our favour. Only the players that clubs want to let go will leave. You're more likely to see clubs spending money upfront on deadline day knowing that they can still offload one or two.

English clubs have the financial advantage at present, but no guarantee that continues indefinitely.

6 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I think the Premier League have done this in the hope that other European leagues will follow suit. Which absolutely will not happen.

This has definitely made things worse imo. Look at the Coutinho situation for example. If he had gone we wouldn't have been able to replace him...

A big issue that I can see if it is a European deadline is the date, for example the Spanish league starts later than the prem.

the main complaint about the transfer window for years is it cuts into the season, when they try to change it then its criticised. Unless clubs have got replacements in then clubs are not going to sell if they don't want to. 

Predictions for this weekend then?

Man City v Liverpool - Draw
Arsenal v Bournemouth - Arsenal
Brighton v WBA - Draw
Everton v Tottenham - Tottenham
Leicester v Chelsea - Chelsea
Southampton v Watford - Southampton
Stoke v United - United

Burnley v Palace - Burnley
Swansea v Newcastle - Draw

West Ham v Huddersfield - Draw

Wonder what odds I'll get on that...

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I always put something stupid like 25p on a big weekend acca. Just a bit of fun, like.

Man City v Liverpool
Arsenal DRAW Bournemouth 
Brighton v WBA
Everton DRAW Tottenham 
Leicester v Chelsea
Southampton DRAW Watford
Stoke v United

Burnley DRAW Palace
Swansea v Newcastle

West Ham v Huddersfield

Would be a £15,621.81 return this week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Arsenal v Bournemouth - Arsenal
Brighton v WBA - Draw
Everton v Tottenham - Tottenham
Leicester v Chelsea - Chelsea
Southampton v Watford - Southampton
Stoke v United - United

Burnley v Palace - Burnley
Swansea v Newcastle - Draw

West Ham v Huddersfield - Draw

Wonder what odds I'll get on that...

Arsenal v Bournemouth - Home
Brighton v WBA - Draw
Everton v Tottenham - Draw
Leicester v Chelsea - Away
Southampton v Watford - Away
Stoke v United - Away

Burnley v Palace - Draw
Swansea v Newcastle - Home

West Ham v Huddersfield - Home

14 hours ago, thetime said:

A big issue that I can see if it is a European deadline is the date, for example the Spanish league starts later than the prem.

the main complaint about the transfer window for years is it cuts into the season, when they try to change it then its criticised. Unless clubs have got replacements in then clubs are not going to sell if they don't want to. 

The deadline is already different in different leagues. I don't think it is an issue at all. 

The other option is to just have the deadline at the earliest start date of all the major European leagues. Can't see something like that implement ed anytime soon though.