Travelling from the Midlands (Derbyshire to be precise)

emmyjep

Hi everyone,

It's going to be my fourth Glastonbury this year however the first time I'll be camping "normal" opposed to in Worthy View/Tangerine Fields. It's also going to be my first time driving down (only, and finally, passed my test in March). 

Because it'll just be myself driving down with my friend who doesn't drive, I'm a little nervy about which way is best to go and how to get to the best car park for where our friends are camping.

I'm driving from the Midlands - Derbyshire to be precise - and I've seen that on the Glasto website it advises to head for postcode TA11 7DP (obviously up until the Glasto road signs come in). Anyone that's come from the Midlands area - would you say it's best to go through the Bristol city centre way? Pretty sure we drove through that way one of the years but because I didn't drive myself I wasn't really paying all too much attention.

Planning on setting off at 5am Wedneday morning, if that makes a difference at all.

We're also planning to camp in the area opposite the Other Stage - so would the orange car park be the best car park to go to?

Thanks all.

The easiest route is to carry on the m5 through Bristol then come off the motorway at junction 23 sign posted Glastonbury, on the A39 then A361. You're more likely to hit traffic on that route though. There is alternatives like coming off the junction before at Burnham on Sea and following the country lanes through Mark, Wedmore and on into Wells, it's certainly quicker but it may lead to you getting lost at some point although you could just use the sat nav to direct you. 

If you follow the first route you'll end up in the car parks nearest to gate A and D which are the closest to Oxlyers

Edited by adamg1602
More information

M1 southbound to junction 23a and then A42/M42 around the south of Birmingham, then south on M5 to junction 23 for the A39 and then the A361 which takes you past Street and Glastonbury. Use the postcode BA6 9XE for travel to the West side of the site and then follow the Festival direction signage from 10 miles out.

Thanks guys!

I know Oxylers is a popular one - my boyfriend and a couple of our friends are setting off 9pm/10pm Tuesday night with hope to get in as soon as possible when gates open at 8am, and they're putting up some of our tents for us. One less hassle for me, I guess.

1 hour ago, midlifecrisis said:

Think M42 and M5 have quite a few overnight closures so could be wise to go M1, M69, A46 to M5 Junction 9 then down to J23?

This is best route at that time of day

Depending on where you are in Derbyshire (we are just off the A6) I would recommend going along the A38 to Birmingham, A446 and then join the M42 from there, onto the M5 and as above through Bristol . Much quicker than M1way etc. I travel that way alot but it does depend where you are in the Shire! Can't wait now !!! 

5 minutes ago, layasway said:

Depending on where you are in Derbyshire (we are just off the A6) I would recommend going along the A38 to Birmingham, A446 and then join the M42 from there, onto the M5 and as above through Bristol . Much quicker than M1way etc. I travel that way alot but it does depend where you are in the Shire! Can't wait now !!! 

Again I'd recommend that you check out this site as it's reporting M5 closed southbound between J4a (M42s connection with M5) and about J7 from 9pm til 6am from 19th June. http://www.trafficengland.com/?evtID=1123235

Edited by midlifecrisis