What's your poison?

kalifire

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Lionel Ritchie said:

Is your poison pie and a pint? Sorry I had to haha

I LOVE a pie, yes. My favourite at the festival now is Square Pie's chicken, leek and ham. I used to head straight to Pieminister for a Matador - was a bit gutted that they stopped having a stall, but they've now got a shop in Oxford's Covered Market so I can go whenever I like anyway. I'm really more a wine girl these days, but pie_and_a_glass_of_merlot is a hella-long username ;)

24 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I was born and bread in Oxford up until 2 years ago .... 

Really?? I moved here in 1996 to be a student at the uni, and I've not gone far - I live in Witney now but work in the city centre - you probably know Speedwell Street? I love Oxford, although the tourists are a pain in the arse right now.

31 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

Shit......I feel like a pusher now.

DISCLAIMER:  I trust you are a very sensible person with a mind of their own and the ability to make wise desicions.

Ha! Yes, very sensible. So much so that if I wanted to make a 'special' quiche I literally wouldn't have a scooby where to obtain the special ingredients anyway.... :D 

17 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I LOVE a pie, yes. My favourite at the festival now is Square Pie's chicken, leek and ham. I used to head straight to Pieminister for a Matador - was a bit gutted that they stopped having a stall, but they've now got a shop in Oxford's Covered Market so I can go whenever I like anyway. I'm really more a wine girl these days, but pie_and_a_glass_of_merlot is a hella-long username ;)

Really?? I moved here in 1996 to be a student at the uni, and I've not gone far - I live in Witney now but work in the city centre - you probably know Speedwell Street? I love Oxford, although the tourists are a pain in the arse right now.

Ha! Yes, very sensible. So much so that if I wanted to make a 'special' quiche I literally wouldn't have a scooby where to obtain the special ingredients anyway.... :D 

Sssshhhhhhh.......Don't tell anyone but I've noticed a fragrant and somewhat pungent aroma whilst ambling around Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Yes I know Speedwell st... I was born in a small village called Horspath and lived there until 2015 , I never ventured into the town often after the age of 18 !!! yes tourist are a bit of a pain ...get a lot of Chinese and Japanese en masse 

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Beer during the day, as it's in cans the darker the better - they're not bothered by not being refrigerated. Ive got some peanut butter milk stouts, some smoked porters, and a whisky aged imperial stout that'll be just right at 7.4% :lol: 

when the sun comes down, I move over to rum. The little stall in West Holts who does big delicious pints of fresh squeezed lemon juice and coconut milk, which I then supplement with a great swig of Appleton estate dark rum. Absolutely beautiful, refreshing, intoxicating and involving many less wees than all the beer beforehand! 

I don't touch any drugs, not my thing - I work on a psych ward and I have more than enough contact with drug-induced psychosis to want to do it in my spare time. If others do, that's their lookout. That's their brain cells. I feel terrible enough as it is on the Monday without narcotics knacking me up even more :lol:

This sounds interesting, where abouts in West Holts is it?

Just now, shoptildrop said:

This sounds interesting, where abouts in West Holts is it?

If you're stood in front of la Grande bouffe, look just to the left - there's a couple of stalls and then a tiny little stall about 6ft wide just before you get to the bridge - I think he's got stripy red and white signage. He's a really nice Spanish geezer and squeezes it all right in front of you with tons of fruit and mineral water. It's an absolute lifesaver, it's glorious! 

13 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Yes I know Speedwell st... I was born in a small village called Horspath and lived there until 2015 , I never ventured into the town often after the age of 18 !!! yes tourist are a bit of a pain ...get a lot of Chinese and Japanese en masse 

The tour buses all drop off by the vile toilets on Speedwell St now because it's only a few minutes' walk up to Harry Potter Christ Church College. Someone actually asked me last week where they could 'see Harry Potter'. I directed them to Waterstones' on Cornmarket...

3 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I think we all need to hear the story behind this statement :D 

Urrm, well... :sorry:

Last year the plan was for my friends to all arrive in the car before me with three tents, and me to join them with my tent a few hours later. They got stuck in the traffic shit show, and I waltzed in not long after midday as I came by train. We made the executive decision that rather than try to save space for a shit load of tents on my lonesome, i should have a little chill. I am by this point outrageously over excited, and the only booze I had was a bottle of JD honey (as they were bringing all the cider etc in the car). I toddled off to The Park to meet the guy I was seeing at the time, and by the time my friends arrived at 6pm I had drunk almost the entire bottle (not my fault...it's delicious!!) and had had a blazing row with said guy (which probably was my fault). Somehow arranged to meet my friends by Gate D, where they found me passed out on a pile of wood chip. I then went off with my first set of mates, totally forgetting I'd also agreed to meet our other mate and the guy I was seeing back by the wood chip, and then spent the rest of the evening generally being a drunken, stumbley nightmare, until I flounced off to sulk in the uber tent around 10ish. 

Alls well that ends well though, because not only did my friends all get a good story out of it, but by the morning I miraculously wasn't hungover, and the guy I was seeing was so impressed he forgot that he was pissed off with me :lol: But basically, that stuff is just far too tasty for its own good, given how strong it is, and this year I've banned myself from drinking it (and maybe any spirits at all) until all my friends have arrived and all the tents are up! Ciders on the bus are probably fine though :)

Cans of old speckled hen during the day (decent even if not cold) with the occasional splifter, then red wine, infused vodka and hopefully some dancing powder.

Struggling to get the later though as my usual avenues have dried up (and I forgot to source in time), is it easy to get this stuff on site and if so where?

Alcohol for me - beers & a box of wine in the bag, a few ciders and the odd pint of ale from the bars on site. Maybe a chilled bottle of white at some point if I can find somewhere decent!

been a long time since I did anything else. Apart from the schnapps but I'm not allowed to bring that anymore 

8 hours ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

The tour buses all drop off by the vile toilets on Speedwell St now because it's only a few minutes' walk up to Harry Potter Christ Church College. Someone actually asked me last week where they could 'see Harry Potter'. I directed them to Waterstones' on Cornmarket...

Speedwell Street is in the heart of rehab (not) city ... I love Waterstones... haven't been to Christ Church College for years