Campervan pitch size and car

moheetoes

Hi all,

First time in a caravan this year for me, so looking for some advice from you seasoned caravanners and hopefully you'll put my mind at rest.

ive tried to find the answer but can't seem to get to it.

Does the pitch size of 8m x 7m stated in GF info cover the caravan and towing vehicle in length when hooked up together or just the caravan (and awning), with towing vehicle parked adjacent to the caravan?

I think we may be over that if the caravan I'm staying with is 6.4m and add the larger towing car may make the length longer than stipulated.

Sorry if I've asked a stupid question and hopefully you can stop me from going round in circles  / over thinking things.

many thanks 

Edited by moheetoes

29 minutes ago, moheetoes said:

Hi all,

First time in a caravan this year for me, so looking for some advise from you seasoned caravanners and hopefully you'll put my mind at rest.

ive tried to find the answer but can't seem to get to it.

Does the pitch size of 8m x 7m stated in GF info cover the caravan and towing vehicle in length when hooked up together or just the caravan (and awning), with towing vehicle parked adjacent to the caravan?

I think we may be over that if the caravan I'm staying with is 6.4m and add the larger towing car may make the length longer than stipulated.

Sorry if I've asked a stupid question and hopefully you can stop me from going round in circles  / over thinking things.

many thanks 

You will be fine, it's only caravans and motorhomes over 8m that need a double pitch in B&W. :)

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

You will be fine, it's only caravans and motorhomes over 8m that need a double pitch in B&W. :)

Many thanks @StoneCircle you are a fountain of knowledge and as helpful as always.

i will sleep easier tonight knowing we can get caravan/awning and potentially my new mini tent together ( or at least I won't have to carry my tent too far if I can't camp with the caravan I'm travelling down with.

7 minutes ago, Stave_1974 said:

You will be fine, no need to panic.

Thank you very much.

im sure I'll have other caravanny questions over the next few days as my plans start to come together.

cheers

Edited by moheetoes

for the last few years we have had a 4 berth caravan (my wife and i sleep in there), a full size awning, with an annexe (that youngest daughter sleeps in), and a decent size tent that eldest daughter and boyfriend stay in...

we take a large table and camping chairs to sit outside...

you will have room. Ensure you tell stewards you have an awning when you park.

Are you staying in CV East / West or Bath & West..? and when do you plan on turning up.? (that may dictate the type of spot you get)

Have fun.!

2 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

for the last few years we have had a 4 berth caravan (my wife and i sleep in there), a full size awning, with an annexe (that youngest daughter sleeps in), and a decent size tent that eldest daughter and boyfriend stay in...

we take a large table and camping chairs to sit outside...

you will have room. Ensure you tell stewards you have an awning when you park.

Are you staying in CV East / West or Bath & West..? and when do you plan on turning up.? (that may dictate the type of spot you get)

Have fun.!

Many thanks, sounds fabulous.

we are in CVW, I'll be travelling down with 5 berth caravan, full size awning and are hoping to pitch a couple of small 2/3 man tents as there'll be 7 in our group, if we can't pitch the tents, 2/3 will be sleeping in the awning or camping inside the fence.

we are currently planning to arrive mid to late aft on Tues 

looking forward to it once we have the group logistics etc in place

was worried we had to fit the car in length ways to the pitch hooked up to the car so may not have fitted in

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but we are renting a 2 berth, no awning that I know of, but are they still likely to leave enough room for a tent to be set up? Staying CV east. Just wasn't sure if they packed the hire ones in a bit tighter?

I would think so yes...

I believe that they have been putting rentals in E25 of late. I assume by rental, that they are bringing the van to site and you just have to drive in.?

I would make sure you have all the info you need before travelling.. where is it pitched.? Does it have water.? Gas.? a fridge.? Shower.?

And whilst it isnt going to rain... if you dont have an awning, it may be worth packing a cheap gazebo to stop you from bringing crap into the caravan...(somewhere to change your boots)

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

I would think so yes...

I believe that they have been putting rentals in E25 of late. I assume by rental, that they are bringing the van to site and you just have to drive in.?

I would make sure you have all the info you need before travelling.. where is it pitched.? Does it have water.? Gas.? a fridge.? Shower.?

And whilst it isnt going to rain... if you dont have an awning, it may be worth packing a cheap gazebo to stop you from bringing crap into the caravan...(somewhere to change your boots)

Cheers, yes they are delivering and e-mailing where it is and leaving instructions how to work things. Don't know if will be put somewhere different this year as hire and family sold under same ticket - hoping means closer. Will look out for cheap gazebo.

Will they be measuring the length of campervans, does anyone know? We've never had a problem before and always just needed a single pitch. But, our campervan is an ex library bus so only 'just' fell within the requirements for a single pitch ticket last year. I'm sure the maximum permitted length was in feet rather than meters back then too. When we book a ferry, we are told what falls within the measurements (eg: bumper / spare wheel / bike rack etc), but I can't find anything on the Glastonbury website telling me whether we need to take the rear mounted spare wheel into consideration (this may well push us over in terms of length and there's no way we can 'do' the festival if relocated to Bath and West with 3 young children in tow).

18 minutes ago, Wondermum said:

Will they be measuring the length of campervans, does anyone know? We've never had a problem before and always just needed a single pitch. But, our campervan is an ex library bus so only 'just' fell within the requirements for a single pitch ticket last year. I'm sure the maximum permitted length was in feet rather than meters back then too. When we book a ferry, we are told what falls within the measurements (eg: bumper / spare wheel / bike rack etc), but I can't find anything on the Glastonbury website telling me whether we need to take the rear mounted spare wheel into consideration (this may well push us over in terms of length and there's no way we can 'do' the festival if relocated to Bath and West with 3 young children in tow).

Pretty sure the 8 metres long has been in place for years. How much over are you?

Not over by much at all to be honest. But previously, oversized campervans could still pitch up at CV East, so we didn't worry too much. Just figured if the stewards had an issue, we could pay the extra for a double pitch. But I'm guessing the Bath and West has been introduced for larger vans because of the impact they have on the ground? Or is it because they may have difficulties navigating the approach to CV East? Last year, after a long wait, we parked up in the dark on the Tuesday evening and no one was checking we had tickets, let alone CV tickets for the lead booker or the right ticket for the pitch required. 

Maybe be I'm overthinking things lol. Got a tendency to do that whereas hubby will just tell me to relax and that everything will be fine; we can't exactly get a smaller campervan and we've been sweating blood to build bunk beds for the kids and install proper car seats for them to travel in.