Benefit Cosmetik Driv-Thru

simian_mobile_mushrooms

5 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

The EU does, but other continents don't and where Benefit can, such as Asia, they test on animals

Not quite. Benefit don't test their products on animals. All Benefit products are made in the EU where testing on animals is banned.

However they choose to sell to markets (China) where testing of imported products on animals in state laboratories is a pre-requirement of sale. 

Therefore while Benefit themselves don't practice animal testing, they do facilitate it by allowing their products to be tested on animals. I believe animal testing is wrong for cosmetic purposes, and I believe Benefit should refuse to sell their products into Chinese and other Asian markets while they insist on testing on animals.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

I'm obviously against testing on animals,  but follow my logic for a second. The entire point of testing on animals is to ensure they're safe for humans and if they aren't, the animal is harmed (sometimes very painfully) and therefore it's bad. 

But

If benefit are selling their products in "non animal testing" markets such as the EU they know with certainty that they are safe for humans and therefore safe for animals. If China then uses the products on the animals to ensure saftey... none of the animals are going to be harmed. 

So although benefit are allowing their products to be tested on animals they really aren't allowing their products to harm animals anymore than they're allowing them to harm us. 

44 minutes ago, bimblebee said:

animals still being kept in labs, with make up products put in their eyes etc.

Sorry but I cannot accept your rational 

But unfortunately places like China etc are going to do that anyways; whether benefit sells their products there or not. Do you really think benefit refusing to sell their would have any impact of China's ways? At least by agreeing to sell there people have access to safe makeup. These countries are a human rights mess, I don't expect them to have any better treatment laws for animals. I'm not condoning animal testing, I just don't blame the company (I.e. benefit) that provides safe products to these countries. 

I don't think I'm making buts or excuses. I've said twice that I don't agree with it. I am saying it's going to happen whether we like it or not. Just because something is wrong in every single way doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

What I don't agree with is blaming a company (I.e. benefit) for making their products available. They already have not tested on animals and know with certainty that their products are safe. If they choose to remove their products from certain countries, what changes? 

8 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I don't think I'm making buts or excuses. I've said twice that I don't agree with it. I am saying it's going to happen whether we like it or not. Just because something is wrong in every single way doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

What I don't agree with is blaming a company (I.e. benefit) for making their products available. They already have not tested on animals and know with certainty that their products are safe. If they choose to remove their products from certain countries, what changes? 

It will always happen if people take that attitude. Do you know what as well? Maybe if benefit didn't sell there nothing would ever change. They'd still test on animals routinely etc. That's not the point. It's the principle of the thing. Regardless of the impact of not selling to China a company should have enough ethics about them not to send their products somewhere knowing full well they're going to end up prodded into rabbits eyes etc. They chose profit over principle. 

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

But unfortunately places like China etc are going to do that anyways; whether benefit sells their products there or not. Do you really think benefit refusing to sell their would have any impact of China's ways? At least by agreeing to sell there people have access to safe makeup. These countries are a human rights mess, I don't expect them to have any better treatment laws for animals. I'm not condoning animal testing, I just don't blame the company (I.e. benefit) that provides safe products to these countries. 

How can doing nothing be better than doing something, no matter how small that thing is?

Don't be a defeatist.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How can doing nothing be better than doing something, no matter how small that thing is?

Don't be a defeatist.

Just because I'm not an idealist, doesn't make me a defeatist. 

There is often more than one view on any particular matter. I just see the act of pulling safe cosmetics from countries with horrible human rights standards as cruel to both animals and humans from those countries. 

I wish everything was black and white for me, but it isn't. 

• 2 weeks later...