Primavera 2018

Runnerups

14 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

mad cool will have 130-140 acts too, but i get your point.

anyway, personally, i don't even get why everyone treats mad cool as a competition for prima. i find it more similar to rock werchter (and will probably end up having a similar line up) and odds are that its success will hurt beni and bbk more than prima if we stick only to spanish festivals.

Me neither, even Gabi said both festivals approach different crowds.

Mad Cool has expanded to around 130 acts and 7 stages, looking to become the biggest Spanish festival until the huge Dr. Festival returns next year after 20 years off (both festivals will compete on the same weekend).

The expansion allowed MC to book more diverse acts, but it still looks the biggest headliners in a Werchtery fashion. The closer Mad Cool reaches to Werchter, the further it backs off PS - but both are the biggest festivals in the country right now, and there are probably some aspects we're not totally aware off (as foreigners, we probably can't estimate the Barcelona-Madrid political/social tension nowadays - is that's still a thing?).

Honestly, as a PS regular I realize the appeal of MC to many people but it doesn't come close to excite me the same way that the not-as-big Down The Rabbit Hole has so far. Many acts way past their prime, not much new stuff to discover as far as I'm concered. It's just not my thing, so I get why you won't be excited as I'm most likely going to be with the PS lineup. Different strokes for different folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just to add a bit to the Mad cool discussion.

I always loved how Primavera is just about the music, nothing more, one of the worse trends of last years was starting to see small groups of people in costumes or even seeing one or two flags at some concerts :S.

Mad cool is an interesting beast as it will take away some of the crowds that were coming to Primavera last 3 years for the idea of just going to a festival, getting drunk and shouting at concerts so that would be an amazing thing that they are booking some of those names.

with that said I also admit it was nice how in the years Primavera had no competition was able to close some really big acts and offer the amazing number of acts, it was nice to see The cure many years ago and maybe the negative reaction towards Mad cool by some of us might come because those things will happen less when there is such a big festival taking out those names. 

The idea of Primavera even getting smaller can be exciting but we were really spoiled by years of absolute domination and it is strange to feel again like the summercase days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I think your post is showing exactly what he's saying. Mineral and Drive Like Jehu released last albums back in the 90s and Shellac and Teenage Fanclub are 25+ years old bands (they release new alums tho) 

Nah, I was just trying to point out that the headliners are usually the least exiting thing for me. PS provides an excellent balance of legacy and contemporary acts; sensitively curated. *Black Keys and Alt J not so much :D I'm not too fussed about the new music side of things with headline acts....I'm just about quality

*and low key nostalgic 2nd wave emo sadly

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

Apart from 'fuck mad cool!' - which in any case was delivered with a smiley - people are not 'bashing' mad cool.

I think most people on here recognise that mad cool has some great acts and is improving every year but they feel primavera is a more rounded experience with greater strength in depth and a more careful curation. It makes some unique bookings every year, has more stages and the auditori provides something different.

I think mad cool is pretty good now. Just not as good as some are saying, the same people are sometimes harshly critical of the Primavera lineup (not released) or Primavera timing (same as every year)

I agree with you that it's better to judge when we have both lineups.

Congrats @xxialac, you just went back to having a neutral reputation!

Also: those people downvoting users arguing for PS over Mad Cool: Please stop, that's pointless.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In my opinion, only the fact that we are making comparisons between Primavera and Madcool, is a huge success of Madcool. Some months before, i didn't expect this, to be honest. I was expecting Madcool to book bands like green day, foo fighters, rhcp etc, and all of us just ignore it.

I think they have made great job for a quite new festival, and im happy for the people that will attend it.

Primavera, on the other side,  is much better for many reasons , and personally I am very attached with it, but I see no point when people underestimate Madcool or try to prove their bookings not worthy. I strongly disagree with this attitude. We have to see things in a greater scale and not judge only by our own experiences and taste.

I admit that i am obsessed with Primavera , I think it is the best festival in the world. But this is only my opinion, and i don't see myself some kind of elite, because i'm going there every year. I see a lot of people having this attitude, and i think this is dangerous for the festival. On the contrary, i think we have to be critical. Only with this way, the festival we all love, will keep having very high standards. Having in mind, that at the last 2-3 editions there were some problems (high prices, people loudly chatting during concerts, wearing costumes, some flags or long branches, some others wearing swimsuits and flipflops etc)  is very important not to accept everything, just because it is Primavera. I strongly believe that primavera is still a festival paradise, compared with others, but for how long? For instance, I read that this year they will have pools in the vip areas. Does this have to do with music? The competition with madcool, a more mainstream probably festival, is a good reason for primavera to stay music-oriented, well-curated,  without all the useless extras.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Parcas said:

Just to add a bit to the Mad cool discussion.

I always loved how Primavera is just about the music, nothing more, one of the worse trends of last years was starting to see small groups of people in costumes or even seeing one or two flags at some concerts :S.

Mad cool is an interesting beast as it will take away some of the crowds that were coming to Primavera last 3 years for the idea of just going to a festival, getting drunk and shouting at concerts so that would be an amazing thing that they are booking some of those names.

with that said I also admit it was nice how in the years Primavera had no competition was able to close some really big acts and offer the amazing number of acts, it was nice to see The cure many years ago and maybe the negative reaction towards Mad cool by some of us might come because those things will happen less when there is such a big festival taking out those names. 

The idea of Primavera even getting smaller can be exciting but we were really spoiled by years of absolute domination and it is strange to feel again like the summercase days.

But PS couldn't have booked The Cure without BBK. Both festivals have agreed on an offer they liked and went on with it. Gabi said he couldn't book them exclusively. It might also happen with Mad Cool, if there aren't Live Nation effects on this fest as well. 

19 minutes ago, cortomaltese said:

In my opinion, only the fact that we are making comparisons between Primavera and Madcool, is a huge success of Madcool. Some months before, i didn't expect this, to be honest. I was expecting Madcool to book bands like green day, foo fighters, rhcp etc, and all of us just ignore it.

I think they have made great job for a quite new festival, and im happy for the people that will attend it.

Primavera, on the other side,  is much better for many reasons , and personally I am very attached with it, but I see no point when people underestimate Madcool or try to prove their bookings not worthy. I strongly disagree with this attitude. We have to see things in a greater scale and not judge only by our own experiences and taste.

I admit that i am obsessed with Primavera , I think it is the best festival in the world. But this is only my opinion, and i don't see myself some kind of elite, because i'm going there every year. I see a lot of people having this attitude, and i think this is dangerous for the festival. On the contrary, i think we have to be critical. Only with this way, the festival we all love, will keep having very high standards. Having in mind, that at the last 2-3 editions there were some problems (high prices, people loudly chatting during concerts, wearing costumes, some flags or long branches, some others wearing swimsuits and flipflops etc)  is very important not to accept everything, just because it is Primavera. I strongly believe that primavera is still a festival paradise, compared with others, but for how long? For instance, I read that this year they will have pools in the vip areas. Does this have to do with music? The competition with madcool, a more mainstream probably festival, is a good reason for primavera to stay music-oriented, well-curated,  without all the useless extras.

Hahahahaha, what?! Why is this a problem? You headbanger!

• Upvote 1

If Mad Cool will have 130 names on the lineup they still have (130-75=) 55 more acts to announce. That is quite a lot. It will be very interesting to see those names as well and the profile on this collection of artist, to see if these go head-to-head vs Primavera on the credliners and undercards as well. If so the competition of booking Primavera type of artists for shure must have increased, even with more than one month lag between the festivals. 

Agree on the profile of the remaining Mad Cool names which will go a long way to determining how good the lineup is.

They’ve said 120-130 names not 130 and now they’ve sold out perhaps they will have some more local and cheaper options, DJs etc.

Wish all the people who go to Mad Cool well. Luckily there are enough good bands for both festivals to happily co-exist.

4 minutes ago, cortomaltese said:

it is a matter of approach and aesthetics my friend. I don't want to see toes and colorful patterns at a Slayer or einstürzende neubauten concert. Or any other concert.

Fair play... What about on that stage down by the beach where Jackmaster played last year? Can I wear my flip flops there?

55 minutes ago, Orens said:

Congrats @xxialac, you just went back to having a neutral reputation!

Also: those people downvoting users arguing for PS over Mad Cool: Please stop, that's pointless.

Ha, thanks buddy.

Don't give a stuff what people wear, as long as they don't act like twats and talk constantly in my ear near the front of a gig I have been looking forward to.

Also VIP is getting a bit w*nky with the private pool and all that but if it subsidises the ticket price for everyone else, then that's cool.

20 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Fair play... What about on that stage down by the beach where Jackmaster played last year? Can I wear my flip flops there?

Come on , even Jackmaster was wearing flipflops at the beach area! You know, my main 'problem' with flipflops is the attitude that sometimes comes together. You usually notice this in festivals with camps, where people don't care that much for the concert, but just to have fun. No problem with this, but i think primavera offers sth different.

Edited by cortomaltese
spelling mistake