Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last year they had Hidden AND Unexpected so not unreasonable to think they could repeat this year. Hidden is more accessible but the calibre of the names isn't that different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, offmytrolley said:

I think the Hidden acts are different to the Unexpected acts, and it's Unexpected that might be a possibility Soulwax or Jungle doing. Unexpected last year was people like Arcade Fire and Haim, so bigger than the Hidden stage acts.

Someone on the German forum mentioned that Gabi said, and I'm paraphrasing here,

Quote

"we don't want to repeat ourselves"

apparently referring to Unexpected. So I probably wouldn't count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alansdeepbath said:

This whole unexpected/hidden thing this year is so confusing. Even though Hidden is now not wristbanded, we're still also expecting Unexpected acts? 

Last year there were two clear schedule gaps which could've been filled with unexpected acts. It actually happened, plus another one on a new stage which was built entirely for the sake of Arcade Fire's launch.

This year, I believe we only recognized one (late Saturday on the Bacardi, after Jon Hopkins). Soulwax can definitely play there, for example.

In addition to that, the Hidden stage is not so hidden, and they already have the infrastructure to hold unexpected gigs there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Orens said:

The National will have to be the early Friday act, as the gap is too close to their actual headlining set, and they can't be one of the acts on the "official" Friday acts. Probably late Thursday on the Hidden, if anything actually happens.

They will not be one of the official hidden stage acts.

A bus bringing them to the other stage after the Boxer set, no problem. Definitely a thing The National would do, would give them a lot of media attention, too.

Edited by Createur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, offmytrolley said:

I think the Hidden acts are different to the Unexpected acts, and it's Unexpected that we'd probably see Soulwax or Jungle doing. Unexpected last year was people like Arcade Fire and Haim, so bigger than the Hidden stage acts.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Didn't suggest Jungle or Soulwax for Hidden. But they could play Unexpected.

 

sorry, I thought we were talking about Hidden acts still, as that's what they're announcing now. I was expecting someone a little bigger than "Yung Beef" on the Wednesday to go up against Spiritualized, or even it being an "Unnanounced" act until that evening.

I don't really get the point of announcing the acts for the Hidden stage in drips and drabs. they're not particularly special acts so far, no-one would care much if they were announced on the main lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Createur said:

They will be not one of the official hidden stage acts.

A bus bringing them to the other stage after the Boxer set, no problem. Definitely a thing The National would do, would bring them a lot of media attention, too.

Yes, but the crowd will be pissed to have this kind of surprise while waiting for The National at the front rows in the Mordor. A very controversial move IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't really get the point of announcing the acts for the Hidden stage in drips and drabs. they're not particularly special acts so far, no-one would care much if they were announced on the main lineup.

The sponsor is paying for this extra attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orens said:

The National will have to be the early Friday act, as the gap is too close to their actual headlining set, and they can't be one of the acts on the "official" Friday acts. Probably late Thursday on the Hidden, if anything actually happens.

 

That's if they are to be a "Hidden" act which I would doubt going by the size/caliber of the acts that have played hidden before/been announced for this year so far... They could just as easily be an "Unexpected" act like Arcade Fire or Haim last year, I'm not going to start firing off any wild theories as to where they would play or what time it would be at as it would be complete speculation but stranger things have happened (not referring to Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein lol).

You would surely expect with the promo "Unexpected" video they released after the festival last year that they were suggesting they plan to book some acts to the level of Arcade Fire or Haim for that sort of gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

 

sorry, I thought we were talking about Hidden acts still, as that's what they're announcing now. I was expecting someone a little bigger than "Yung Beef" on the Wednesday to go up against Spiritualized, or even it being an "Unnanounced" act until that evening.

I don't really get the point of announcing the acts for the Hidden stage in drips and drabs. they're not particularly special acts so far, no-one would care much if they were announced on the main lineup.

In fairness despite dragging on we got 2 names on one day and it seems like we will get all the remaining 5 names today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Orens said:

Yes, but the crowd will be pissed to have this kind of surprise while waiting for The National at the front rows in the Mordor. A very controversial move IMO.

To be fair that's kind of the thing with unexpected sets. I guess we would see rumours of it happening like AF last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

sorry, I thought we were talking about Hidden acts still, as that's what they're announcing now. I was expecting someone a little bigger than "Yung Beef" on the Wednesday to go up against Spiritualized, or even it being an "Unnanounced" act until that evening.

No problem, it is all pretty confusing but kind of exciting in that no one knows quite what is going on. The Unexpected thing could not even happen this year - who knows

I'll go see Lets Eat Grandma if they aren't clashing, but Yung Beef doesn't look like my kind of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rzwodezwo said:

To be fair that's kind of the thing with unexpected sets. I guess we would see rumours of it happening like AF last year?

I believe they will, but not on Friday right before their headlining set.

 

1 minute ago, MatheauWillis said:

You would surely expect with the promo "Unexpected" video they released after the festival last year that they were suggesting they plan to book some acts to the level of Arcade Fire or Haim for that sort of gig.

I happened to catch each of LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire secret/"surprise" gigs two days before their headlining sets, as was the case with Interpol in 2015 (I wasn't there). Not an hour or two, that would be odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orens said:

I believe they will, but not on Friday right before their headlining set.

 

I happened to catch each of LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire secret/"surprise" gigs two days before their headlining sets, as was the case with Interpol in 2015 (I wasn't there). Not an hour or two, that would be odd.

Fair point, I guess we'll have to figure it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orens said:

I happened to catch each of LCD Soundsystem and Arcade Fire secret/"surprise" gigs two days before their headlining sets, as was the case with Interpol in 2015 (I wasn't there).  Not an hour or two, that would be odd.

Can't begin to explain how jealous I am of that. This is going to be my 3rd Primavera but my 1st whilst following this forum, I didn't know the Arcade Fire secret set happened until someone showed me a video poolside the next morning. Hoping that I'll be on the ball this year with all of your assistance.

As I said, I wouldn't begin to speculate where or when they'll play - it just makes a lot of sense imo that they do.

Edited by MatheauWillis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MatheauWillis said:

As I said, I wouldn't begin to speculate where or when they'll play - it just makes a lot of sense imo that they do.

Its a doozy, for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MatheauWillis said:

Can't begin to explain how jealous I am of that. This is going to be my 3rd Primavera but my 1st whilst following this forum, I didn't know about the Arcade Fire secret set happened until someone showed me a video poolside the next morning. Hoping that I'll be on the ball this year with all of your assistance.

As I said, I wouldn't begin to speculate where or when they'll play - it just makes a lot of sense imo that they do.

This is going to be my 3rd Primavera as well! My first gig in Barcelona was the LCD secret gig, I got the tickets online, landed, put the luggage at the apartment and ran to the BARTS to score the first row. Surreal.

I got the Arcade Fire all the way from the city center, as I've been in a meet&greet with Run the Jewels. I lost my signed poster back there, but it was worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mufcok said:

Anyone know where to get the opening/closing times for wristband collections? This is my first time so I'm a complete novice, get there late ish Wednesday night, wouldn't mind boxing it off then if it's an option

Anyone know when the wristband collection closes each night, or Wednesday specifically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Orens said:

Two more hidden acts to go. I guess we'll wait.

DdUFZ1qX4AAasgs.jpg:large

No!! Now they really are milking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two left to guess, I crossed off the announced acts:

image.thumb.png.fd38ef09bbc8bafb317f4c6d0091b192.png

Edited by Orens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orens said:

Two left to guess, I crossed off the announced acts:

image.thumb.png.fd38ef09bbc8bafb317f4c6d0091b192.png

Good point. Not Baxter Dury then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Orens said:

Last year there were two clear schedule gaps which could've been filled with unexpected acts. It actually happened, plus another one on a new stage which was built entirely for the sake of Arcade Fire's launch.

This year, I believe we only recognized one (late Saturday on the Bacardi, after Jon Hopkins). Soulwax can definitely play there, for example.

In addition to that, the Hidden stage is not so hidden, and they already have the infrastructure to hold unexpected gigs there.

with 20mins before and after other sets on the Bacardi stage for equipment turn-around, that only leaves whoever plays that slot with a 30min set. can't see Soulwax coming to PS just to do that.

I think a DJ set is far more likely in that gap, as it requires less equipment set-up. probably someone already on the lineup, rather than a dj set from Soulwax/2ManyDJs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fatboy Slim is playing the "pre-day" of Primavera Porto. Now that is Unexpected!

Edited by xxialac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orens said:

... In addition to that, the Hidden stage is not so hidden ...

It should be renamed. It's the Unhidden stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×