Primavera 2018

Runnerups

Anyone know what happened on line 4 of the metro? My app was saying full service halted last night and still the same today. Getting home last night was a nightmare! Was it actually running and was it just my app? Or a serious incident? 

On 6/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, xxialac said:

So the Unexpected this year is that there is no Unexpected? 

What was all that 'The End' about in the video then?

Also no Auditori next two days and no Rayban Unplugged and no afternoon gigs with mid-size bands repeating (other than Sunday) and no Casa Teva.

More being given to dance this year but seemingly it's at the expense of other things.

I agree with this post. Take Sunday, for example, last year you had Mudhoney and the Make-up at CCCB who hadn’t played the main festival, this year we’ve got the much smaller Oblivians who did. The Apollo had Shellac/Sleaford Mods/Japandroids this year Aerial Pink and a few up and coming bands. It’s hardly the OH Sees and Fucked Up. 

I don’t want to be too negative the festival needs to evolve,  and the hidden stage’s move has been a great boost this year. Yesterday that run from Peter Perrett to Lift to Experience to Belly to Slowdive  was magical, especially the sun going down behind Belly. 

But afterwards it was rather limited for many hours. Partly I think that was due to bad luck on the scheduling front that bands I wasn’t bothered about like Beach House or Grizzly Bear happened to be on. Had Shellac or Carseat  Headrest who I missed due to clashes been playing then I would have flowed better for me. 

It seems like there’s fewer magic moments this year - Twilight Sad crying in the Park, LCD Soundsystem at Barts, the return of Nuetral Milk Hotel. 

The festival needs to change and evolve each year to stay fresh. Sadly, I think overall it’s evolving away from me. Going to think it over but maybe this is my last Primavera. 

56 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Anyone know what happened on line 4 of the metro? My app was saying full service halted last night and still the same today. Getting home last night was a nightmare! Was it actually running and was it just my app? Or a serious incident? 

When was this? I left just after Beach House and had no problems.

12 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

When was this? I left just after Beach House and had no problems.

I probably should have just checked the station. Saw the app said halted (both Citymapper and the official metro app saying the line was down) so just waited for a taxi. We left after Skepta so probably wasn't much later. Guessing just the app wasn't fully accurate

Edited by D-Low

Sadly taking the plane to go back home. Too bad I won't see Sunday's shows this year. 

Thanks to all the people of this forum (I discovered it this year) for all the suggestions and the chit chat. Somehow you helped to make the festival even more enjoyable. See you next year, hopefully! 

I agree it does seem scarifices were made to beef up the dance acts. Crossing over that bridge was a nightmare later at night this year, don't recall that in previous years. The dance area is fairly large so it makes sense if they want to grow the festival, they need to draw more people into this area. I made it over a couple times and it still wasn't completely packed but if it grows bigger, additional alternatives are need to cross over. I noticed many more Spanish people in attendace this year compared to previous years, which I see as a positive. I don't know if that was due to the line-up, the discounted tickets, or a combination.

Unexpected was the best part of the festival for me last year. It also creates a buzz. Don't know why the chose to ditch it this year.

I found the Wednesday was stronger this year with Spiritualized and Belle & Sebastian playing. The club shows aren't as strong this year. For me Thursday was a real stong day with Bjork, Nick Cave, and Four Tet. On Friday, I was most looking forward to seeing Mogwai, The National, and Shellac. Unfortunately, they were all playing at the same time.

Primavera has been trying to diversify away from rock basked acts to draw as many people as possible. I guess there will always be the Adidas stage.

The lineup was just so stacked this year. I finished every day so happy with my choices but then hear everyone saying how great the other acts were. So great to see everyone had a great time even though they saw different things.

Overall, I think this was better organised than last year in some ways (food options, the bridge in the daytime, sound fixed on many stages, Heineken stage was excellent) and worse in others (those queues for the bar were insane).

I definitely feel like the amount of people went way up this year. Enough to just make it that bit too uncomfortable leaving the main stage and even Primavera sometimes.

Highlights:

Lee fields, nick cave, Nils Frahm, The National, Thundercat, Tyler, The Creator, Lorde, Beach House.

37 minutes ago, duckula said:

My only down point was the sound on the main stages is still awful but I hardly spent any time there so no biggie.

I thought the sound on the Seat stage was good and the Mango stage was fine when up close but wasn’t the best for Arctic Monkeys. The Ray-Ban stage was the only one I felt had poor sound. The talking during acts was much worse than any sound issues for me. 

My highlights were The Twilight Sad, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The National, Beach House and Haim. The Twilight Sad’s cover at the end is easily one of my favourite live music moments ever.

4 hours ago, Declan said:

I agree with this post. Take Sunday, for example, last year you had Mudhoney and the Make-up at CCCB who hadn’t played the main festival

This is wrong, Make Up played the main festival as well. For me the Sunday program is brilliant -Jay Som, Tigercats, Waxahatchee, Oblivions, Ariel Pink, Flat Worms to mention a few great ones.

Really enjoyed this year but would echo a lot of what was said above. The crowd was huge so it made accessing bars and crossing the bridge quite difficult at times. Was just a little uncomfortable at times because of that. 

But, that said, a lot of great music again this year. Nick Cave, Hinds, Car Seat Headrest and Beach House all spring to mind straight away. Was impressed by the Arctic Monkeys, much more than I thought I would be, and Grizzly Bear was good too. Quite a bit of chatter was the only thing there that put a downer on it. 

No real misses I don't think. Noise levels for Cigarettes After Sex were dreadful and totally ruined that show. 

Might try head out for the Apolo shows later. Do they tend to be busy or can I just up a few minutes beforehand?