Primavera 2018

Runnerups

6 minutes ago, daviddaviddaviddavid said:

That choice of netlist makes me even more convinced the National will do a boxer set. Just wish I knew where.

Can’t see it happening now, they’re in London tomorrow so I reckon that’s it. 

Wonder where Skepta will play tomorrow now.

Working theory that Skepta was added to the bill to drag the 'Pissed Up Brits' away so that everyone else could enjoy Charlotte Gainsborough. She was ace.

Edited by tjrant
Realisee it was a bit daft.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So how were The National?

I enjoyed it. Set comprised almost entirely of the most recent two albums, though. Would have enjoyed an extra song from Boxer or Alligator. Finished with "About Today", dedicated to Scott from Frightened Rabbit, which was a very nice touch. 

Definitely wish they had longer to play though. Feels like an extra 3/4 songs wouldn't have hurt at all! 

Have seen them loads of times now and it was a solid set from them. Not an all-timer for me but few complaints other than the setlist chosen. 

Otherwise, today, really enjoyed Father John Misty and the Breeders. And Mike D. That was a lot of fun! Cigarettes After Sex was a total snooze from the top of the steps though. Could barely distinguish one song from the next. Hope it sounded better from down below. 

Edited by ConfidenceMan

23 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I enjoyed it. Set comprised almost entirely of the most recent two albums, though. Would have enjoyed an extra song from Boxer or Alligator. Finished with "About Today", dedicated to Scott from Frightened Rabbit, which was a very nice touch. 

Definitely wish they had longer to play though. Feels like an extra 3/4 songs wouldn't have hurt at all! 

Have seen them loads of times now and it was a solid set from them. Not an all-timer for me but few complaints other than the setlist chosen. 

Otherwise, today, really enjoyed Father John Misty and the Breeders. And Mike D. That was a lot of fun! Cigarettes After Sex was a total snooze from the top of the steps though. Could barely distinguish one song from the next. Hope it sounded better from down below. 

If you could hear it amidst all the talking down there it might have been half decent. I gave up after 10 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Swanmob said:

If you could hear it amidst all the talking down there it might have been half decent. I gave up after 10 minutes. 

I imagine that the Cigarettes After Sex is going through some sort of purgatory, where he has to play exactly the same drums for an hour a night.

I can also imagine him watching Ty Segalls drummer and saying 'I can do that...' but no one in his band believing him.

Yeah, Cigarettes After Sex were shit. I don’t get the hype at all.

Father John Misty delivered, he’s one of the reasons I came to the fest and he didn’t disappoint. Horns and strings! Great setlist and Josh in top form.

I’m really glad I left mordor before the National and headed to Bacardi. Superorganism are among my highlights now, fun fun fun gig.

Charlotte Gainsburg was fantastic and Arca gave me some much needed energy for the end of the night

I was at the front for Cigarettes After Sex and really enjoyed them. I can understand the criticisms people are making but their lp was my listen to on the bus back from a festival lp of last year. So leaning on the front barrier in a soperific state whilst they play is memories of snoozing through Yorkshire, Wales, the South West and the Isle of Man last summer. 

I saw Cigarettes After Sex at the Apolo gig they did last year and they were ridiculously dull, avoided them this year as a result. 

The National were my highlight today. As ConfidenceMan says, it wasn’t their best set but I think that’s more down to the time rather than any issues with the performance. It could maybe have done with a more upbeat older song in place of Rylan or Walk It Back but not going to complain, I really enjoyed it.

Everything else I saw was generally really good too. Haim probably aren’t the most popular hand on here but they put on a really fun set, as did Confidence Man who were a great way to end the night. Father John Misty was a good warm up to The National and Charlotte Gainsbourg was much better than I’d expected. Wasn’t hugely into Arca but then again I wasn’t expecting to be and went mainly out of curiosity.