Primavera 2018

Runnerups

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Baxter Dury, Josh Pearson, Liminanas, Rodriguez?

Then hoping - if there even is an Unexpected this year - for MBV, Spoon, Soulwax, Jungle.

I still think it's too suspect for The National's set to be so short, especially in a year where they've played two sets (regular set plus The Boxer in entirety) at their Homecoming festival - as well as playing The Boxer in full at the end of last year in Belgium.

I can't imagine a band of their stature who take their live shows / set lists so seriously would settle for such a small time slot when booked as a headliner. I'm probably just being a lil fan boy but I was just too young to see them when they toured The Boxer and it would completely make the festival/my life if it happened.

6 minutes ago, MatheauWillis said:

I still think it's too suspect for The National's set to be so short, especially in a year where they've played two sets (regular set plus The Boxer in entirety) at their Homecoming festival - as well as playing The Boxer in full at the end of last year in Belgium.

I can't imagine a band of their stature who take their live shows / set lists so seriously would settle for such a small time slot when booked as a headliner. I'm probably just being a lil fan boy but I was just too young to see them when they toured The Boxer and it would completely make the festival/my life if it happened.

Someone had the same theory in a German forum. The gap on the Hidden Stage on the Friday looks suspicious, doesn't it.

5 minutes ago, MatheauWillis said:

A guy on a German festival forum wrote the same yesterday (same guy who predicted the Hidden Stage to be placed where it is on the official Primavera forum).

He said he expects The National to play a Boxer set on Friday.

3 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

Someone had the same theory in a German forum. The gap on the Hidden Stage on the Friday looks suspicious, doesn't it.

They play Boxer on Hidden Stage at 8.20 and them immediately reassemble for a 9.30 show at Mango??

Wouldn't that be logistically a bit of a nightmare?

• Downvote 1

if "Yung Beef" is the Wednesday hidden act, then I'm really not expecting much from the other Hidden acts, certainly nothing on the level of Jungle or Soulwax (who are at Sonar a few weeks later anyway)

e: although I'm glad the Wednesday one has been announced, I was planning on queuing for Spiritualized but keep checking here/twitter etc just in case it was someone that I wanted to see in that slot.

Edited by ghostdancer1

2 minutes ago, Createur said:

A guy on a German festival forum wrote the same yesterday (same guy who predicted the Hidden Stage to be placed where it is on the official Primavera forum).

He said he expects The National to play a Boxer set on Friday.

The National will have to be the early Friday act, as the gap is too close to their actual headlining set, and they can't be one of the acts on the "official" Friday acts. Probably late Thursday on the Hidden, if anything actually happens.

No automatic alt text available.

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

if "Yung Beef" is the Wednesday hidden act, then I'm really not expecting much from the other Hidden acts, certainly nothing on the level of Jungle or Soulwax (who are at Sonar a few weeks later anyway)

e: although I'm glad the Wednesday one has been announced, I was planning on queuing for Spiritualized but keep checking here/twitter etc just in case it was someone that I wanted to see in that slot.

Didn't suggest Jungle or Soulwax for Hidden. But they could play Unexpected.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They play Boxer on Hidden Stage at 8.20 and them immediately reassemble for a 9.30 show at Mango??

Wouldn't that be logistically a bit of a nightmare?

Yup, that's why I'm sceptical, too. Although I would agree that it's weird how short their set is.

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I think the Hidden acts are different to the Unexpected acts, and it's Unexpected that might be a possibility for Soulwax or Jungle (though this is wishful thinking). Unexpected last year was people like Arcade Fire and Haim, so bigger names than the Hidden stage acts.

Edited by offmytrolley

1 minute ago, offmytrolley said:

I think the Hidden acts are different to the Unexpected acts, and it's Unexpected that might be a possibility Soulwax or Jungle doing. Unexpected last year was people like Arcade Fire and Haim, so bigger than the Hidden stage acts.

Someone on the German forum mentioned that Gabi said, and I'm paraphrasing here,

"we don't want to repeat ourselves"

apparently referring to Unexpected. So I probably wouldn't count on it.

1 minute ago, alansdeepbath said:

This whole unexpected/hidden thing this year is so confusing. Even though Hidden is now not wristbanded, we're still also expecting Unexpected acts? 

Last year there were two clear schedule gaps which could've been filled with unexpected acts. It actually happened, plus another one on a new stage which was built entirely for the sake of Arcade Fire's launch.

This year, I believe we only recognized one (late Saturday on the Bacardi, after Jon Hopkins). Soulwax can definitely play there, for example.

In addition to that, the Hidden stage is not so hidden, and they already have the infrastructure to hold unexpected gigs there.

9 minutes ago, Orens said:

The National will have to be the early Friday act, as the gap is too close to their actual headlining set, and they can't be one of the acts on the "official" Friday acts. Probably late Thursday on the Hidden, if anything actually happens.

They will not be one of the official hidden stage acts.

A bus bringing them to the other stage after the Boxer set, no problem. Definitely a thing The National would do, would give them a lot of media attention, too.

Edited by Createur

Just now, offmytrolley said:

I think the Hidden acts are different to the Unexpected acts, and it's Unexpected that we'd probably see Soulwax or Jungle doing. Unexpected last year was people like Arcade Fire and Haim, so bigger than the Hidden stage acts.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Didn't suggest Jungle or Soulwax for Hidden. But they could play Unexpected.

sorry, I thought we were talking about Hidden acts still, as that's what they're announcing now. I was expecting someone a little bigger than "Yung Beef" on the Wednesday to go up against Spiritualized, or even it being an "Unnanounced" act until that evening.

I don't really get the point of announcing the acts for the Hidden stage in drips and drabs. they're not particularly special acts so far, no-one would care much if they were announced on the main lineup.

Just now, Createur said:

They will be not one of the official hidden stage acts.

A bus bringing them to the other stage after the Boxer set, no problem. Definitely a thing The National would do, would bring them a lot of media attention, too.

Yes, but the crowd will be pissed to have this kind of surprise while waiting for The National at the front rows in the Mordor. A very controversial move IMO.

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't really get the point of announcing the acts for the Hidden stage in drips and drabs. they're not particularly special acts so far, no-one would care much if they were announced on the main lineup.

The sponsor is paying for this extra attention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orens said:

That's if they are to be a "Hidden" act which I would doubt going by the size/caliber of the acts that have played hidden before/been announced for this year so far... They could just as easily be an "Unexpected" act like Arcade Fire or Haim last year, I'm not going to start firing off any wild theories as to where they would play or what time it would be at as it would be complete speculation but stranger things have happened (not referring to Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein lol).

You would surely expect with the promo "Unexpected" video they released after the festival last year that they were suggesting they plan to book some acts to the level of Arcade Fire or Haim for that sort of gig.