Primavera 2018

Runnerups

I wouldn't take a 3 year old. 

No mud, mostly concrete. 

It's a music festival, the focus is on music not the festival experience. It's fabulous if you want to watch loads of great bands to 5am. 

But there isn't a children's area or a fairground or a comedy stage or vaudeville like a British Festival. 

Not family friendly because of the lack of specific kids area, or just generally not suitable? He'll love the music and is used to festivals - we've never really spent time in the kids areas at UK fests, but if it's basically adult only (?) then maybe it's not the best choice.

13 minutes ago, sam1981 said:

Not family friendly because of the lack of specific kids area, or just generally not suitable? He'll love the music and is used to festivals - we've never really spent time in the kids areas at UK fests, but if it's basically adult only (?) then maybe it's not the best choice.

Almost the whole site is concrete. There are no 3 year olds. There is nothing for them to do. The music starts at 5pm not at 11am like in the UK.

It's a disastrously bad idea.

Porto is a lovely park and more family friendly (though also has a late start and still is not as appropriate as somewhere like End of the Road or Green Man).

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's a disastrously bad idea.

:rofl: OK, I get it, you don't think we should go.

I'm just seeing conflicting info online with a minimúsica section for kids, so I'm trying to get a gauge as to what the reality is. Some people would never take their kids to a festival, or would never take them to a big one like glasto, etc... so just wanted to understand. ^_^

Just now, sam1981 said:

I'm just seeing conflicting info online with a minimúsica section for kids, so I'm trying to get a gauge as to what the reality is. Some people would never take their kids to a festival, or would never take them to a big one like glasto, etc... so just wanted to understand. ^_^

:)  I'm  in favour of 3 year olds going to festivals but Primavera in the past has been just about the worst fit.  But (er) I may have spoken too soon as it seems they have improved the minimusica (which in the past I think was separate to the festival). I didn't notice it as it's by the entrance but I would say that I didn't notice any more kids last year and I still think the main section of the festival is fine for kids from 5pm-8pm and not appropriate beyond that (the fest runs til 5am)

The minimúsica section is very small and they have a couple of bands on earlyish in the day. 

I guess that you could take him to that and then a few of the earlier shows then back to the hotel, but you'll miss almost everything unless you have a babysitter.

You don't see kids in those trolley things you see in England. And remember you wouldn't be able to pop back to the tent when he gets tired, because your hotel will be the otherside of town. 

So you could do it... but I don't think you or he will experience the festival to the full. 

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Only just got around to listening to Wolf Parade's album of last year. Blimey. Really, really good.

Not played this yet. Had it saved for ages but not got round to it. Will bump it up the priority list. Don't recall hearing anything else by them but happy to go in blind.

4 hours ago, sam1981 said:

Well, I saw quite a number of families with kids in the VIP area last year, so maybe that is an option since you have the chance to get away from the crowds. It's for the two main stages (there's another one at the Primavera stage if I'm not mistaken) and you're quite far away but visibility is good and as I said, it's pretty relaxed there. With no kids myself I can't really say anything about the suitability in general - but the children I saw around seemed quite chill about the whole experience. ;) Good luck and have fun if you decide to go! :rolleyes:

Can't believe we are having this conversation. We're not talking about a grown up child, but a 3 year old that massively depends on good sleep - as in 12 hours a night.  A daytime festival could be great for kids, sure but a festival that doesn't get going until after midnight when it is dark and noisy and runs until 6am is obviously not the place for a 3 year old! 

Obviously the Spanish are more relaxed about bedtimes - whenever I was in Spain I always saw kids running around way past midnight while their parents were chatting with friends at restaurants or even bars. I'm sure Sam is responsible enough to recognise when his son is tired and would take him to the hotel instead of insisting on seeing band xyz at 4am. ;)

Plus, I remember my own parents taking me to quite wild parties when I was little - they usually went on until the wee hours and I thoroughly enjoyed them, chatting to the grown-ups and dancing weird wiggly kiddie dances. No harm done - unless still being a party animal counts as lasting damage. ;) To be fair, I've got to say I've always been a night owl. What I want to say is: we don't know Sam's son and he's his dad and should decide what to do.

Edited by Steph U

Def wouldn't keep him up to see band xyz as I've never heard of them. ;)

I kind of assumed that as it's so hot in Spain the festival starts/finishes late to keep out of the heat. Much like they have footy that kicks off at 11pm which we'd view as ridiculous over here. So you just adjust your sleep pattern for a few days.

Glasto has some stages that go on until 3/4/5/6, but I'm normally tucked up in bed by 12ish after the main stages end. 

Anyway, I haven't been to Primavera and you guys have, so good to get your views. Seems unlikely we'd go given the feedback to be honest. 

Edited by sam1981

23 minutes ago, Steph U said:

Obviously the Spanish are more relaxed about bedtimes - whenever I was in Spain I always saw kids running around way past midnight while their parents were chatting with friends at restaurants or even bars. I'm sure Sam is responsible enough to recognise when his son is tired and would take him to the hotel instead of insisting on seeing band xyz at 4am. ;)

Plus, I remember my own parents taking me to quite wild parties when I was little - they usually went on until the wee hours and I thoroughly enjoyed them, chatting to the grown-ups and dancing weird wiggly kiddie dances. No harm done - unless still being a party animal counts as lasting damage. ;) To be fair, I've got to say I've always been a night owl. What I want to say is: we don't know Sam's son and he's his dad and should decide what to do.

You're not listening to my point. Sam's son is not 10 years old, he is 3 years old, - he'll be tired super early.

• Downvote 1

I meant we go to bed after the main stages close (assuming it works the same way as a UK fest) which would be 2/3 (?) and just get up later. I'm assuming it's the same as a UK fest, but everything is shifted back a few hours. i.e. the only stages open super late are dance, and not the main bands... 

And we'd normally take him in a wagon or something so he can sleep at will. 

Anyway it's probably a moot point really as it doesn't seem ideal. 

Edited by sam1981

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You're not listening to my point. Sam's son is not 10 years old, he is 3 years old, - he'll be tired super early.

Pardon me, but you're not listening to me - I was at parties as a 3/4-year-old, and already as a child was a night-owl so I had no problem going to bed in the wee hours. Plus, Spanish (or Italian, as a matter of fact) children seem to be fine going to bed way past midnight, too. How would we know when other people's children get tired?

Oh well, I guess with parenting there can't be a consensus. I didn't mean to get involved in a discussion about principles. ALL I was saying was that I saw kids (also small ones) in the VIP area last year and they didn't seem traumatized. That's all...