Primavera 2018

Runnerups

Well Primavera is usually better than End of the Road, but many of the memorable acts from Primavera's past are playing there this time and not replaced by equivalent acts at Primavera. The Auditori downgrade is a great loss, as is the ATP stage, lack of strength in depth of guitar acts, and the blandness of the modern dance scene, and I suppose the open secret of the headliners make the End of the Road line-up more of a Wow that Primavera was. 

Time will tell which I enjoy most. 

8 hours ago, Orens said:

This is going to be the best electronic lineup I've ever attended, and we have yet to receive the Bits (beach) poster.

Surely almost all the electronica names on the poster are playing the Beach Club, where else would be the Floating Points 6 hour DJ set be or Dekmantel's group of acts?

Just now, xxialac said:

It’s only half of the lineup. In terms of indie - not other genres - it looks  to me that it will be as good if not potentially better than primavera.

I like the expansion of the World music elements this year. My main criticism previously has been too much Americana and the need to broaden the sonic palette. They seem to have done that. 

A shame Thursday headliner night is Yo Le Tengo though. 

7 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Surely almost all the electronica names on the poster are playing the Beach Club, where else would be the Floating Points 6 hour DJ set be or Dekmantel's group of acts?

Will they announce more DJs when the Beach Club schedule is released? Not that they need to, the lineup is already stacked with electronic music / DJs.

As an aside, does AME II AME just mean both of the guys from Ame will be there?

8 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Not all of those. I believe Four Tet, Daphni are playing twice. Many live electronic acts might be too big for the Bits as constructed in 2017 and might go to the big night spots (3AM at the Ray-Ban + DJ set afterwards), which will be a delight.

1 minute ago, simon_says said:

Will they announce more DJs when the Beach Club schedule is released? Not that they need to, the lineup is already stacked with electronic music / DJs.

As an aside, does AME II AME just mean both of the guys from Ame will be there?

Yes, that's what I meant. That was the 2017 Bits poster:

primaverabits2017.jpg

Jane Birkin is performing at the Forum  Saturday. Thus not an auditorium gig. On the other gigs with this record I think she brought with her a symphony orchestra. My guess is we will have a scaled down version of the orchestra, e.g. 15-20 musicians (my speculations).

Edited by puckno

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

Jane Birkin is performing in the Forum at Saturday. Thus not an auditorium gig. On the other gigs with this record I think she has brought with her a symphony orchestra. My guess we will have a scaled down version of the orchestra, e.g. 15-20 persons (my speculations).

That’s so good, I guess she’s filling the Van Morrison/Brian Wilson/Patti Smith slot from the last few years then?

On the website description it says ‘Accompanied by an orchestra of fifty musicians, this repertoire will come to life in this exhilarating and unique live performance’ but I do reckon that seems a bit ambitious? Exciting either way!

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

Jane Birkin is performing in the Forum at Saturday. Thus not an auditorium gig. On the other gigs with this record I think she has brought with her a symphony orchestra. My guess we will have a scaled down version of the orchestra, e.g. 15-20 persons (my speculations).

PS already noted there will be more than a 50-piece orchestra. 

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they're playing a gig in Ireland in July. weird that no other gigs have been announced so far though.

I meant he isn't touring with the band, obviously. Also worth mentioning that they had a decent spot back in 2015, and no word on a new album so far (Dan said he'll be in the studio soon, though) 

16 minutes ago, MickeyJJ said:

Really?! Great on one level,  as I'll definitely see it... but can't see how his show will work anywhere else. Possibly Rayban?

Yeah Rayban when the headliners are on makes most sense to me, although saying that I'm expecting Fever Ray, Floating Points and Four Tet to all be on Ray Ban/Primavera around then too so not sure how it will work out.

16 hours ago, simon_says said:

Four Tet, Floating Points, Jon Hopkins, Daphni. Individually maybe not as exciting/unique as Aphex/Underworld, but all will deliver unmissable live electronic performances. Tbh I was hoping for a Caribou set too...

I'm totally looking forward to a number of electronic acts such as Four Tet, DJ Koze, Mano Le Tough, Âme [which yes, I expect it to be both guys together], The Black Madonna, John Talabot or Ross from Friends, whom I've discovered through someone recommending him in this forum: I'm already in love, so thanks!
Possibly it is down to personal preference or perception of what I consider to be "big/important", but in past years Underworld, Moderat and Aphex Twin have just had a bigger impact on me personally when reading their name on the line-up. Caribou was lovely in 2015. Perhaps I was hoping "the big mainstage electronica" to be along the lines of Orbital, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, UNKLE/DJ Shadow, ... .

Edited by Steph U

30 minutes ago, Steph U said:

I'm totally looking forward to a number of electronic acts such as Four Tet, DJ Koze, Mano Le Tough, Âme [which yes, I expect it to be both guys together], The Black Madonna, John Talabot or Ross from Friends, whom I've discovered through someone recommending him in this forum: I'm already in love, so thanks!
Possibly it is down to personal preference or perception of what I consider to be "big/important", but in past years Underworld, Moderat and Aphex Twin have just had a bigger impact on me personally when reading their name on the line-up. Caribou was lovely in 2015. Perhaps I was hoping "the big mainstage electronica" to be along the lines of Orbital, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, UNKLE/DJ Shadow, ... .

I'm totally with you on this. There's a hole where this kind of band normally sits.

• Like 1

Will be my first year at Primavera this year, would love some quick advice on a few things. 

Best area to stay in, will probably be booking something of Airbnb? How is the public transport, chaotic and busy I imagine, is it worth booking somewhere within walking distance of the venue? Also want to stay in an area where its easy to grab reasonably priced beer and food etc when not at the festival site.

When is it worth arriving in Barcelona? Are the pre parties etc worth going to?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OliS said:

Will be my first year at Primavera this year, would love some quick advice on a few things. 

Best area to stay in, will probably be booking something of Airbnb? How is the public transport, chaotic and busy I imagine, is it worth booking somewhere within walking distance of the venue? Also want to stay in an area where its easy to grab reasonably priced beer and food etc when not at the festival site.

First time i went i was an hours walk from the venue. It wasn't any hassle but this time I air bnb'd back in June to get somewhere close to the venue and beach. 

Personally I stay Tuesday - Sunday night as I have to work the Monday but if I could i'd be there that extra night for other gigs etc. Definately get in before Tuesday afternoon then you can get involved with everything the city has!

6 hours ago, OliS said:

Barcelona is beautiful - you can book wherever you want, I would either suggest to stay near Barrio /Barna /Ramblas to stay in the oldest part of the city, or near the Forum (to be near to the PS venue). The public transport is very reliable. As for the reasonably priced food and drinks, you can easily find bars where you can eat and drink for a budget. For the accommodation, I would suggest airbnb and take a room with an available kitchen. 

Look for some more tips that we gave to other people in this very forum, the last two days, a couple pages back