Primavera 2018

Runnerups

2 hours ago, gigtimes said:

Last year they were doing a ticketing system for Jarvis Cocker's DJ set on the Wednesday, and you had to get to the festival site quite early to get a (free) ticket before returning a little later for the set. Maybe it'll be the same for Spiritualized, because I think that could be a bit crazy getting in for.

They've done a Ticketing System for the Auditori in the past - Panda Bear, Suede, Jeff Mangum. You bought a ticket for £2 in advance from the booths outside. 

When LCD Soundsytem played BARTS you had to book on-line beforehand. They might do that. 

8 minutes ago, Steph U said:

Some airlines offer early check-in where you can check your luggage the evening before. Should be on their website somewhere. But of course you'd have to trek out to the airport and back...

Most hotels would hold onto your bags while you go to the Festival and book a cab for the morning. 

1 hour ago, TapeRecorder said:

Whats the cheapest way of sorting accommodation? Would you guys recommend  air bnb / hotel / one of the ticket packages. Also, how do you get from your accommodation to the fest? Are buses / trains easy to get there and run over night?

We always get an apartment in the Born area - very central but quiet. And then we rent bicycles which we found is the easiest way to get to/from the festival. There is a cycle-lane all along the beach, from the centre right up to the forum area - a very scenic ride at sunset or sunrise. ;) There is even a cycle-parking kind of thing with security at the main entrance (sometimes full, but then you can lock the bikes on the square next to it). At night you don't have to queue for the bus or try to find a taxi (we once tried for an hour before giving up). There's a tram and underground, too, but except Saturday they don't run all night (plus expect them to be packed). Of course some people rent an apartment in the Poble Nou area and can walk to the festival which is even easier. We like it in Born, though as it's also close to the sights in central Barcelona plus the city concert venues such as the Apollo.

Hi, guys! Been reading this topic for months, but finally getting around to posting too!

I have some questions, could you help me?

1 - my flight arrives at 4pm on Thursday, is it too late for the acts at the Fórum? Am I probably going to miss something? From Clashfinder I've seen that most seem to begin from 8pm on, is that right and is there enough time?

2 - that also means I'm missing Belle and Sebastian and Spiritualized on Wednesday, do you think there's any chance they will perform on the regular festival days as well?

3 - should we expect more acts on Sunday than those announced already? After PS I'm going on a 25-day trip around Europe, I was thinking of kicking it off one day earlier than I had planned (Sunday instead of Monday), but I'm scared of missing some nice acts.

Thank you! =)

2 hours ago, TapeRecorder said:

Whats the cheapest way of sorting accommodation? Would you guys recommend  air bnb / hotel / one of the ticket packages. Also, how do you get from your accommodation to the fest? Are buses / trains easy to get there and run over night?

Public transport there is easy, just use Google maps, it'll be bus or metro.

On Wednesday and Saturday night you can take the metro back into town. On the other two nights, there are shuttle buses that run to Catalunya, public transport basically shuts down at night. You can try and pick up a taxi outside the site, but the queue is usually enormous.

So we normally try and get an apartment that's walking distance from Catalunya. A reasonable compromise is picking up a taxi from there if you're further away.

If you can get a few people together, renting an apartment through booking.com is pretty economical and reliable. The price we're paying this year is better than the ticket packages.

2 minutes ago, daveje said:

Public transport there is easy, just use Google maps, it'll be bus or metro.

On Wednesday and Saturday night you can take the metro back into town. On the other two nights, there are shuttle buses that run to Catalunya, public transport basically shuts down at night. You can try and pick up a taxi outside the site, but the queue is usually enormous.

So we normally try and get an apartment that's walking distance from Catalunya. A reasonable compromise is picking up a taxi from there if you're further away.

If you can get a few people together, renting an apartment through booking.com is pretty economical and reliable. The price we're paying this year is better than the ticket packages.

There's a tram that runs down the long Avenida Diagonal and in the small hours too. The easiest solution is to locate yourself somewhere along its route.

1 hour ago, doyoureadmehal said:

Hi, guys! Been reading this topic for months, but finally getting around to posting too!

I have some questions, could you help me?

1 - my flight arrives at 4pm on Thursday, is it too late for the acts at the Fórum? Am I probably going to miss something? From Clashfinder I've seen that most seem to begin from 8pm on, is that right and is there enough time?

2 - that also means I'm missing Belle and Sebastian and Spiritualized on Wednesday, do you think there's any chance they will perform on the regular festival days as well?

3 - should we expect more acts on Sunday than those announced already? After PS I'm going on a 25-day trip around Europe, I was thinking of kicking it off one day earlier than I had planned (Sunday instead of Monday), but I'm scared of missing some nice acts.

Thank you! =)

1. First bands about 5, you should see almost all the major choices. 

2.  very unlikely. 

3. There will be more bands but these are likely to smaller ones from Europe and South America show casing themselves for Primavera Pro. These can be outstanding though. Plus you'll want to spend some time in Barca rather than sleeping and at the festival and the Sunday Night @ the apolo is fantastic. 

4 hours ago, TapeRecorder said:

To arrive to the forum, you can take the metro from everywhere in the city. The stop for PS is "El Maresme/Forum", on the yellow line (one of the lasts stops, direction "La Pau").

When you are leaving at night, you can take the same metro if enough early. Otherwise, there is the NitBus. There is also the specific Bus of the Festival, that leaves from the Forum and stops in Plaza Catalunya. I pick up that one always, it's cheap.
I tend to book an accommodation with airbnb in a zone around Catalunya. This year I've booked a room near the Ramblas, on a quieter street. I'll pay 22 Euros/night.

simple-mapa-metro-barcelona-2018.png

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

So is "Primavera a la Ciutat" a specific venue?

There are many venues in the city. This is las year's program/info:
https://www.primaverasound.es/primaveraCiutat
It will be something similar.

An example how it will look (here it's Raval/CCCB):
https://www.primaverasound.es/galeriaFotos#album/187

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, frankburns said:

Google-translation:

"Beck ... Almost better that I shut up because my words always transcend. Let's say he is an artist with a lot of ego."

I love Beck's music, saw him once live and was blown away.

That said, yes, he's a dick to promoters, and I'm hearing it from many places.  From what I know for sure, he backed out from a huge Australian festival and a small theatre festival in Poland last minute, leaving both without their main acts. There might be more cases like this. Basically, it looks like he waits with confirming as long as possible  and then decides not to play. Not cool.

It pisses me off when he says in his interviews how much he loves to play and connect with his fans, while he barely tours Europe outside UK, France and Scandinavia.

For everbody that is wondering about transportation: download the app Citymapper. Super easy to use, and shows you many option to travel from A to B. I love to check out new places to eat when I’m not at the festival, and this app has really saved me both money and time.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2018 at 7:31 AM, Steph U said:

Maybe I'm missing something but where is the main stage electro act in the footsteps of Underworld and Aphex Twin?

Four Tet, Floating Points, Jon Hopkins, Daphni. Individually maybe not as exciting/unique as Aphex/Underworld, but all will deliver unmissable live electronic performances. Tbh I was hoping for a Caribou set too...

1 hour ago, simon_says said:

Four Tet, Floating Points, Jon Hopkins, Daphni. Individually maybe not as exciting/unique as Aphex/Underworld, but all will deliver unmissable live electronic performances. Tbh I was hoping for a Caribou set too...

I have yet to see Caribou and hoping to see it some other time, Dan clearly isn't touring with Caribou this time around. Hopefully in 2019.

Don't sleep on James Holden and the Animal Spirits (live) and Lindstrøm.

This is going to be the best electronic lineup I've ever attended, and we have yet to receive the Bits (beach) poster.

36 minutes ago, maksym26 said:

Anybody has a guess about Porto´s Primavera artists? 

Besides Nick Cave, playing in Europe that weekend and probably could fit in their schedule (until further announcements):

Arctic Monkeys (just kidding), Thom Yorke, Lorde, A$AP Rocky, Father John Misty, Grizzly Bear, The War On Drugs, CHVRCHES, Vince Staples, Tyler, the Creator, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Waxahatchee, Warpaint, Jon Hopkins live, Rhye, Deerhunter, Superorganism, Thundercat, Tom Misch, Confidence Man, The Internet, Bonobo, The Blaze, Kelela

Edited by Orens

1 hour ago, Orens said:

Besides Nick Cave, playing in Europe that weekend and probably could fit in their schedule (until further announcements):

Arctic Monkeys (just kidding), Thom Yorke, Lorde, A$AP Rocky, Father John Misty, Grizzly Bear, The War On Drugs, CHVRCHES, Vince Staples, Tyler, the Creator, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Waxahatchee, Warpaint, Jon Hopkins live, Rhye, Deerhunter, Superorganism, Thundercat, Tom Misch, Confidence Man, The Internet, Bonobo, The Blaze, Kelela

Chvrches are already in Nos Alive  and Thundercat  is playing Bonaroo...      Do You think Gorillaz may enter the bill?

5 hours ago, Tigane said:

Chvrches are already in Nos Alive  and Thundercat  is playing Bonaroo...      Do You think Gorillaz may enter the bill?

Ah, missed NOS Alive.

Thundercat plays Thursday in Denmark and Sunday in Bonnaroo. He tours like crazy, it might happen.

Gorillaz, I don't think so.

Edited by Orens

7 hours ago, Orens said:

I have yet to see Caribou and hoping to see it some other time, Dan clearly isn't touring with Caribou this time around. Hopefully in 2019.

Don't sleep on James Holden and the Animal Spirits (live) and Lindstrøm.

This is going to be the best electronic lineup I've ever attended, and we have yet to receive the Bits (beach) poster.

they're playing a gig in Ireland in July. weird that no other gigs have been announced so far though.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

End of the Road have pulled out a superb lineup including St Vincent, John Cale, Oh sees, Feist, Vampire weekend, Aldous Harding, Big Thief, Destroyer, Protomartyr and The Weather Station with more to come.

Woo Hoo. That's better than Primavera. 

Their first announcement is very impressive:

Vampire Weekend
St. Vincent
Feist
Yo La Tengo
Ezra Furman
Jeff Tweedy
John Cale
Fat White Family
Oh Sees
Gruff Rhys