Primavera 2018

Runnerups

12 minutes ago, daviddaviddaviddavid said:

I really don’t get the Mad Cool hype. It’s average at best.

On the forums, people are writing like it's one of the best festivals of all time.

All I see is some good stuff, some stuff that's good but that has now been toured to death and some really bad stuff.

Plus on a new site I bet it ends up having a massive amount of organisational problems.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, xxialac said:

On the forums, people are writing like it's one of the best festivals in all time.

All I see is some good stuff, some stuff that's good but that has now been toured to death and some really bad stuff.

Plus on a new site I bet it ends up having a massive amount of organisational problems.

They also had those on the old site.

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

24 minutes ago, Orens said:

They also had those on the old site.

They've limited the number of people per day to 65,000 (as opposed to the maximum capacity of 80,000) and further expanded the planned site. Judging by Bar Tool's comments they've learned from last year. How it's gonna be in the end we'll see in July, of course.

Regarding the lineup, it's subjective. I - for example - very much prefer Mad Cool's lineup to Primavera's, but that's just me. 

Mad Cool and Prima are two different festivals for two different sets of audience and I think this is much better then both going for the same thing and battling for the same bands. And my point stands both from the perspective of a festivalgoer and the general festival offer in Spain/Europe. 

I wish you all a fabulous experience at Primavera - if possible without any flipflops wearing, piss throwing AM fans at all B) 

Edited by clasher

23 minutes ago, clasher said:

They've limited the number of people per day to 65,000 (as opposed to the maximum capacity of 80,000) and further expanded the planned site. Judging by Bar Tool's comments they've learned from last year. How it's gonna be in the end we'll see in July, of course.

Regarding the lineup, it's subjective. I - for example - very much prefer Mad Cool's lineup to Primavera's, but that's just me. 

Mad Cool and Prima are two different festivals for two different sets of audience and I think this is much better then both going for the same thing and battling for the same bands. And my point stands both from the perspective of a festivalgoer and the general festival offer in Spain/Europe. 

I wish you all a fabulous experience at Primavera - if possible without any flipflops wearing, piss throwing AM fans at all B) 

I agree with your last comments and I hope everyone enjoys Mad Cool.

Although I might be wrong experience suggests that running a different site and catering to 65000 will mean teething problems and big ones.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They’re about to announce the undercard for the three day fest withinAll Points East.

Looks like the quality might be at Primavera level 

Agree. everyone's talking about mad-cool, but actually the only festival remotely close to PS level this year is APE (especially if you count St. Vincent and Nick Cave from the second weekend)

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

On the forums, people are writing like it's one of the best festivals of all time.

Isn't that every festival ever? That could be said for Primavera too: Bjork good stuff, Nick Cave and The National good stuff that toured whole last autumn and plays festival, and likes like Migos as bad stuff

7 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Isn't that every festival ever? That could be said for Primavera too: Bjork good stuff, Nick Cave and The National good stuff that toured whole last autumn and plays festival, and likes like Migos as bad stuff

I kind of agree actually on that. This is the first year I see so much bad stuff - Migos, Majid Jordan, Bad Gyal - what is this rubbish and why is it at Primavera?

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I kind of agree actually on that. This is the first year I see so much bad stuff - Migos, Majid Jordan, Bad Gyal - what is this rubbish and why is it at Primavera?

At first I thought Migos is rubbish, but I found internal logic and rhythm in it. I really like some of their Culture bangers.

I think they will close the Mordor, overlapping with Ty Segall on the Primavera Stage, so I won't be in attendance (hey @dentalplan, I'm doing my best Gabi impression just for you!)

i don't understand why people still compare mad cool with primavera

mad cool looks more like delivering a huge poster on the paper, the freshness of the acts doesn't matter that much neither does the diversity (the line up is mainly rock oriented), they got most of the big names except a few who are doing other spanish fest, who they probably didn't even want that much. they did almost perfectly according to their plan. being a guy from a country where the big names tour rarely, it's the ideal festival for me.

primavera is more about freshness, original and surprising bookings or concert setups, regulars that were booked in previous years and are popular with the festival crowd, diversity and more deepness in the undercard. 

two very different approaches.

unrelated to the rest of the post, i belive that migos is a very uninspired and unnecessary booking. having tyler, vince and asap rocky on the bill would have suffice on the rap genre.

and i haven't understand the controversy surrounding arctic monkeys, it's very similar to the booking of the strokes a few years back. why was it such a big deal now to book a band like this?