Primavera 2018

Runnerups

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Dude that's ballin', I love it. 

alt-J being booked up there would be a shame tho but hey, plenty other stuff to see.

Was struggling for main stage closers and they seemed like a decent fit. Is that you gone off alt-J already?

20 minutes ago, chemica said:

I have to admit, as far as 2014 returners go, I think Nine Inch Nails a lot more likely than Kendrick. 

I'm gonna have a go at a mock up - 

love the look of yours though Kingcrawler. 

I wanted to include them as well but figured having three headliners from 2014 would be a bit much, they definitely have a good chance anyway.

Pieced this together, with my head firm on the fence between sensible and dreamworld. My guess at big reunion being the Fugees after new 'leaked' material! But I imagine I am a long way off with that one. My back up headliner would have been Chance The Rapper... Along the Frank Ocean vibe that they failed to deliver.

I'd like to know your thoughts, as well as your criticisms... Let's discuss and get excited for 2018!!

mock up.jpg

It's actually quite plausible. The biggest fails may be Smashing Pumpkins -no way they headline this festival-, Nine Inch Nails below the headliners and Placebo -a festival this serious/big wouldn't book Placebo on 2018, tbh-. 

And a word of advice from a fellow spaniard: Estopa is a band from Catalonia that had their peak 17 years ago because of a first record that blew any expectation. They went on to mainstream audiences by being broadcasted in every fucking radio station. They play something similar to rumba and therefore you could think "hey, they could be Los Chichos of 2018" but they won't because Los Chichos were something like a legacy act and there is no reason at all to book Estopa. I was a fan when I was 10 or something like that and it's quite funny to see their name popping in these mocks but they make no sense. If you want to add some Spanish flavour to your mock, try some of these: Oso Leone, Manel, Za!, Delorean, Svper, Núria Graham.

I don't think Royal Blood or First Aid Kit really suit playing Primavera Sound, and some lower down acts like The Struts, Pretty Vicious, DMA's and The Cribs are more what would be expected at Benicassim. Also what Nesser said about Placebo is definitely true for Brand New Heavies. It's a pretty nice line up for the most part however.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Smashing Pumpkins -no way they headline this festival

I think, with Primavera having some smaller but more critically acclaimed headliners, that PS is one of the more likely European festivals for an original line up Smashing Pumpkins to headline. If the reunion doesn't happen then I agree they won't be booked.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think Royal Blood or First Aid Kit really suit playing Primavera Sound, and some lower down acts like The Struts, Pretty Vicious, DMA's and The Cribs are more what would be expected at Benicassim. Also what Nesser said about Placebo is definitely true for Brand New Heavies. It's a pretty nice line up for the most part however.

I think, with Primavera having some smaller but more critically acclaimed headliners, that PS is one of the more likely European festivals for an original line up Smashing Pumpkins to headline. If the reunion doesn't happen then I agree they won't be booked.

Maybe I'm biased but a Smashing Pumpkins reunion wouldn't be as big as The Replacements', Slowdive's or Ride's. Also, there's said to be bad blood between Primavera and Corgan since the last time he played there. Gabi said they weren't interested in Can because the reunion didn't seem legit -I think they missed the original bassist or something similar-, therefore I genuinely think they'll skip them.

On a side note: Primavera is promoting Royal Blood on their arena tour in Spain, being the second time they do this. IIRC Royal Blood are the only band they have booked on a regular tour and not to play the fest. Kinda weird, tbh

On 01/08/2017 at 5:09 PM, Nesser said:

Maybe I'm biased but a Smashing Pumpkins reunion wouldn't be as big as The Replacements'

Now I'm as biased as they come and they're my all time favourite band, but I can't see this being true. I saw them at Porto and they had a very small crowd, I'm sure more people would know SP songs. 

On 21/07/2017 at 10:24 AM, xxialac said:

It feels like Primavera has finally reached band saturation point where in coming years we will be looking at combinations of previous lineups, both for headliners and subs. A bit sad but inevitable.

Yeah it has, but as long as it doesn't become even more commercial (it is a lot more now than 10 years ago) and stays away from the crap Reading books, that's fine by me. 

I'm still holding out for Beck and Bjork to be on the bill next year. Both super respected musicians who have albums coming out soon, and would attract a big enough crowd (of the right sort) for Primavera - they desperately need a female headliner also. 

Edit: just realised I posted this already! However both have since announced albums so...

Edited by sgreen7643

I really dislike this kind of 'affirmative action/positive discrimination concept.

No way based on Primavera bookings could there be any suggestion that they are sexist.  They should continue to book who they want without letting gender come into it, as they always have done.

If there are more male bands out there touring, it is not up to Primavera's organisers to redress the balance, in the same way that female-dominated professions should not have to have quotas of men imposed upon them.

I have put some thought on the female headliner issue and, tbh, I think it will eventually happen. Florence seems to be gearing up to something, Lana would sub Primavera and even headline around Europe -heck, these guys could pull alt-J + Lana + Chance the Rapper as Thursday headliners without any problem-. I don't wanna dwelve into the issue on a demographic level but the number of women in bands is increasing by each day, so it's only a matter of time (2 or 3 album cycles) to see Wolf Alice, Lorde, Lana, Solange, FKA Twigs, SZA, Kehlani and others among the top of the line-ups.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2017 at 1:09 AM, MattDavies__ said:

How much do people normally pay for flights to/from the UK for this? Currently at about 100 quid return which is alright but its quite a bit more than I paid for Beni... 

They will go up. We booked in Jan or Feb, for 2016, and the cheapest we could manage was £200 ish. Ended up tacking a few days on afterwards as the extra accommodation was more or less the same damage as the difference in prices for the flights. 

On 9/2/2017 at 1:09 AM, MattDavies__ said:

How much do people normally pay for flights to/from the UK for this? Currently at about 100 quid return which is alright but its quite a bit more than I paid for Beni... 

I've flown from Glasgow + Edinburgh the last 2 years and return flights have been £120 and £150. £100 seems vvvvv decent.

On 02/09/2017 at 1:09 AM, MattDavies__ said:

We were £125 return from Edinburgh, that was for a week though rather than just the festival days. As others have said £100 is very decent.