Confirmed secret sets 2017

SecretGlasto

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

How about the Gorillaz link?

Was that just rubbish in the end?

Yup.

There were three major bands listed as TBCs. That was the wrong one, the others (Elbow and Killers, I think it was) were right.

The person who gave me the Gorillaz info had given me some other major right stuff a few weeks before, so I had good reason to have trust in what I was being told. Person got back in touch after the fest to apologise for the wrong'un. It happens.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Yup.

There were three major bands listed as TBCs. That was the wrong one, the others (Elbow and Killers, I think it was) were right.

The person who gave me the Gorillaz info had given me some other major right stuff a few weeks before, so I had good reason to have trust in what I was being told. Person got back in touch after the fest to apologise for the wrong'un. It happens.

Fair enough, can't be right every time.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fair enough, can't be right every time.

Yup - cos from where I'm sat every bit of it is gossip.

All I can try to do is to judge how likely what I'm told is, and the best indicators are telling me right stuff before, or because I know where the source is positioned.

But even exceedingly-well positioned people get duff info sometimes; I've been surprised how often some people I know well have been wrong - and it's not them bulling me, I know with certainty. They've been told 'gossip' as genuine and they've believed it as genuine. And why wouldn't they, as they also know how well-positioned the person telling them is? 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yup - cos from where I'm sat every bit of it is gossip.

All I can try to do is to judge how likely what I'm told is, and the best indicators are telling me right stuff before, or because I know where the source is positioned.

But even exceedingly-well positioned people get duff info sometimes; I've been surprised how often some people I know well have been wrong - and it's not them bulling me, I know with certainty. They've been told 'gossip' as genuine and they've believed it as genuine. And why wouldn't they, as they also know how well-positioned the person telling them is? 

I suppose plans and situations change all the time, especially with secret sets where there's unlikely to be a contract or anything formal in place, more of a "yeah we'll do it". They can agree to it weeks in advance then pull out beforehand for any number of reasons and the vast majority of punters will never know about it.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I suppose plans and situations change all the time, especially with secret sets where there's unlikely to be a contract or anything formal in place, more of a "yeah we'll do it". They can agree to it weeks in advance then pull out beforehand for any number of reasons and the vast majority of punters will never know about it.

I think most (if not all) secret stuff gets contracted in. I got in trouble with Glastonbury for the very first time this year for listing something as TBC, which caused the band's agent to scream at GF about word getting out, so they felt they should shout at me.

(the amusing thing here is that word came from that band's camp, not from anywhere that traces back to Glasto)

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think most (if not all) secret stuff gets contracted in. I got in trouble with Glastonbury for the very first time this year for listing something as TBC, which caused the band's agent to scream at GF about word getting out, so they felt they should shout at me.

(the amusing thing here is that word came from that band's camp, not from anywhere that traces back to Glasto)

I like the fact that there's somebody at GF HQ who is responsible for monitoring eFests for potential leaks.

If you're reading this, hello!

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I like the fact that there's somebody at GF HQ who is responsible for monitoring eFests for potential leaks.

nope, i don't think that's going on. 

efests had had that particular band listed as a TBC for weeks if not months. The trouble was caused because one of the Somerset press ran a "who you can expect to see" piece that used the efests rumours (I think credited, too), and that caught the bands agent's eye.

So he screamed at GF, who then shouted at me. I guess they'd had to placate the agent by saying they'd see what they could do. As far as I remember I didn't change anything with what I had listed.

And there no real upset at the Glasto end. I phoned them back a day or two later because there was another major name I was about to put up and they didn't have a problem with it. It was all triggered by that shouty agent rather than being particularly bothered at Glasto.

13 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Neil, out of interest, did you ever reveal who the "4th headliner" that was supposedly booked in 2009 was? I may have totally missed this if it has been discussed, so apologies if that's the case!

I believe it was Coldplay, who then pulled out as they had their own stadium shows to sell.

14 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Neil, out of interest, did you ever reveal who the "4th headliner" that was supposedly booked in 2009 was? I may have totally missed this if it has been discussed, so apologies if that's the case!

yeah.

You'll be surprised ( :lol: ) to know it was Coldplay.

The story I was told face to face around mid-April that year by the senior booker - and told I could repeat, he wanted the '4th headliner' thing killed off - was that they were keen to play, but as their stadium dates hadn't sold out they didn't feel it was fair on the promoter of those shows for them to do Glastonbury (in reality it might have helped sell those other shows, but it was an honourable stance).

It was my choice to keep the band's name out of it, cos I didn't think it would necessarily reflect well on them (they'd not sold some shows, don't forget), and some people might have felt let down by them not doing Glasto, so I didn't think it would be fair on them to get anything negative when trying to do something good for Glasto (tho which was never agreed with certainty) and then deciding to be honourable towards their stadium promoter.

On 02/11/2017 at 12:28 PM, eFestivals said:

yeah.

You'll be surprised ( :lol: ) to know it was Coldplay.

The story I was told face to face around mid-April that year by the senior booker - and told I could repeat, he wanted the '4th headliner' thing killed off - was that they were keen to play, but as their stadium dates hadn't sold out they didn't feel it was fair on the promoter of those shows for them to do Glastonbury (in reality it might have helped sell those other shows, but it was an honourable stance).

It was my choice to keep the band's name out of it, cos I didn't think it would necessarily reflect well on them (they'd not sold some shows, don't forget), and some people might have felt let down by them not doing Glasto, so I didn't think it would be fair on them to get anything negative when trying to do something good for Glasto (tho which was never agreed with certainty) and then deciding to be honourable towards their stadium promoter.

Ahh that's interesting. For some reason, i thought it might have been someone more interesting than Coldplay, but it's always blooming Coldplay.

Thanks for the info though! That's been bugging me for 8 years now :D

41 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

when/where were they supposed to have played?

Coldplay? As a "4th headliner" that Michael Eavis had talked about.

Presumably it would have been before one of the other 3 headliners, but nothing was ever clearly stated.

This was for 2009, in case you'd missed that bit.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

yeah, I just can't really imagine them playing before any of the other headliners, considering they had headlined outright twice before that, nor any of those headliners playing below Coldplay.

I said much the same to the booker, and he said they didn't care where they played, they just wanted to play if they could.

42 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Anyone know if Thom Yorke did that DJ set in The Crow's Nest on Friday night this year? 

I meant to go but by the end of Radioheads set I was mashed and forgot all about it.

Don't think so, I think he was supposed to play Greenpeace but that didn't happen either, I think.

4 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Anyone know if Thom Yorke did that DJ set in The Crow's Nest on Friday night this year? 

I meant to go but by the end of Radioheads set I was mashed and forgot all about it.

Pretty sure he did a set in the Stonebridge next to the Park Stage.

The reason I think this happened is because I heard it from somewhere so I went to look on the Saturday evening. I went in and couldn't see much happening so left. About 10  or 15 minutes later I saw Thom Yorke walking towards me across the bank to the left side of the Park Stage. I said something to him and he only said 'hi' and kept going. I asked the guys with him about the secret set and they said I'd just missed it.