Car Parks & Routes 2017

MJP

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

After 0001 on Tuesday morning you will only be able to approach West carparks from the West ie on A361 from Glastonbury direction, as the junction with A37 on the East side of the village will be closed to vehicles heading West.

Ah,  Ok,  thanks.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

After 0001 on Tuesday morning you will only be able to approach West carparks from the West ie on A361 from Glastonbury direction, as the junction with A37 on the East side of the village will be closed to vehicles heading West.

Is this something new? Before we always drove in on Tue night/Wed very early morning from that direction and never had issues.

3 hours ago, herzzreh said:

Is this something new? Before we always drove in on Tue night/Wed very early morning from that direction and never had issues.

Yep in previous years they closed access early Weds morning but it looks like they've made it earlier this year - maybe as one of the changes after last year's carnage.

I'll find the wording from the traffic regs and post later.

11 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Do you know if this includes the B3136 from Shepton Mallet onto the A361? My group usually meet in SM before heading into the west car parks as we drive in from different parts of the country.

15 minutes ago, WillyC3000 said:

Do you know if this includes the B3136 from Shepton Mallet onto the A361? My group usually meet in SM before heading into the west car parks as we drive in from different parts of the country.

There will be roadblocks along the B3136 between SM and the A361, meaning that you can't use it this year. :)

28 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

So you saying to get to yellow car parks you have to driver past orange and pink and hope you don't get directed into one of those two?

Pretty much.  I've been in pink the last twice despite much pleading.  So crushing when all the cars in front are going to orange and you're told to go to pink. :( We're heading for East car parks this time.  Watch us end up in the remotest blue when we need purple for family camping/gate B.

25 minutes ago, MJP said:

There will be roadblocks along the B3136 between SM and the A361, meaning that you can't use it this year. :)

So that's a complete shutdown of both directions of the A361 at that point? 

Always been in campervan West, but got a ticket for East this year. Coming down from Brum Thursday morning and was planning on M5>A39 as usual and long around the site to join the A37 (to avoid Bristol). As I read it I won't be able to do that? 

Hi - Coming from Wales and wanting East Car parks. (Ideally Blue) Any suggestions for best roads to take? Coming late Wednesday or early Thursday morning so traffic probably not as much of an issue... 

We're staying overnight in Beckington. We would normally just come A361/A37 but this year we're setting off much later on the Wednesday and hoping to get into Wicket Ground via the west entrances.

My plan is to avoid the A361 and Shepton Mallet and cut across via Frome/Old Frome Road and then use the back-roads - hopefully Lower Westholme Road.

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Pretty much.  I've been in pink the last twice despite much pleading.  So crushing when all the cars in front are going to orange and you're told to go to pink. :( We're heading for East car parks this time.  Watch us end up in the remotest blue when we need purple for family camping/gate B.

'Normally' you'll queue for a far shorter time at C, depends on when you were thinking of getting there I suppose though.  Parking near B has been great for us in the past in terms of the car being near to get back to it, but always been a very long time in the queue for us to get in, generally arriving between 5 and 7 (5 in more recent years).

So if you get parked up for Gate C, you probably will have a longer trek, but it's 'unlikely' to harm your chances for family camping.

Ta. I'll bear that in mind.  The unearthly amount of gear the kids add to the equation means the parents in the group really want to be parked near B cos they'll have a few trips in and out to do.  After being in the very furthest pink car parks in recent years, I have a trolley (purely for 2 measly crates of cider and the tent) and am doing one trip only come hell or high water.  I thought that trek in the mud from pink was going to kill me last year.  Nothing, even the Hill of Death, can be that bad.

27 minutes ago, Stu H said:

My plan is to avoid the A361 and Shepton Mallet and cut across via Frome/Old Frome Road and then use the back-roads - hopefully Lower Westholme Road.

Won't be able to use Lower Westholme Road - from the traffic management plan, temporary prohibition of driving "Lower Westholme Road from the junction with Tanyard Lane to the junction with the A361, other than in a northerly direction, from 0600 hours on Wednesday 21st June"

9 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Ta. I'll bear that in mind.  The unearthly amount of gear the kids add to the equation means the parents in the group really want to be parked near B cos they'll have a few trips in and out to do.  After being in the very furthest pink car parks in recent years, I have a trolley (purely for 2 measly crates of cider and the tent) and am doing one trip only come hell or high water.  I thought that trek in the mud from pink was going to kill me last year.  Nothing, even the Hill of Death, can be that bad.

I think we had a similar experience - ended up in remote Pink having avoided East.  We coped with the walk in fine, but get back to the car with all our stuff was a nightmare - not that we pack heavy, just a long walk after a long weekend.  Just bought a big-wheeled sack truck, so it can take the weight of our bags and booze, and just need to carry the tents then.  At least we don't have the pressure of needing to get in to a specific field (we usually want Big Ground).  So good luck!  Lots of respect for people making the extra effort to let their littleuns experience it

Cheers!  The kids add a whole new layer to it.  For example we adults were a bit fraught after eleventy hours in a traffic jam followed by the trek in from pink.  But my mate's 3 year old kid is bouncing around thinking up names for all the different kinds of mud he'd seen and counting stars in the sky. :lol: 'Spaghetti mud' cheered me right up.

16 minutes ago, Dave The Owl said:

Won't be able to use Lower Westholme Road - from the traffic management plan, temporary prohibition of driving "Lower Westholme Road from the junction with Tanyard Lane to the junction with the A361, other than in a northerly direction, from 0600 hours on Wednesday 21st June"

ah, bugger, good spot!

One thing to bear in mind is that it's the summer solstice at 05.24 on Weds 21st June. I'm guessing routes around Stonehenge will be busier than normal. Do many people gather at Glastonbury Tor and will routes around the town be affected?

Over the years I've tended to drive down the a303, pass the site then swing back through Street and Glastonbury along the a361 so to hit the west car parks. Always ended up in orange, never in pink - make of that what you will, maybe luck.

Last year due to the problems (we drove down Weds eve) we decided to just head straight for the east and were directed into blue car parks. Ended up in blue 10 which I'm sure is in a different county to Glastonbury!! It took us a little over an hour to walk from the car to Michael's Mead - although that was fully laden with bags etc and contending with mud. And it was dark :lol:

Anyway we're on the coach this year so don't have to plan it all but if I was I'd go west again

7 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yep in previous years they closed access early Weds morning but it looks like they've made it earlier this year - maybe as one of the changes after last year's carnage.

I'll find the wording from the traffic regs and post later.

What about the traffic plan staying that A361 will be blocked at A39 as well? What would be the best route coming from London to get to west car parks?

Edited by herzzreh

21 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

What about the traffic plan staying that A361 will be blocked at A39 as well?

Also closed eastwards from 0001 on Tuesday 20th... which confuses me as how is any traffic going to get in the A361 heading to East parking if it's blocked there? :huh:

27 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

What about the traffic plan staying that A361 will be blocked at A39 as well? What would be the best route coming from London to get to west car parks?

I reckon that they've closed it to public traffic, but seeing as it's the only access road to all west car parks they will let cars in for the festival.

If I was coming from London, I'd head M3 > A303 > A39 > Lottisham Road > A361(E)

1 hour ago, MJP said:

If I was coming from London, I'd head M3 > A303 > A39 > Lottisham Road > A361(E)

Looking at the map... I'm a bit confused by this. Where do I get onto A39 from A303? Lottisham Rd seems to meet A37 and I don't want to be anywhere near that. 

15 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

Looking at the map... I'm a bit confused by this. Where do I get onto A39 from A303? Lottisham Rd seems to meet A37 and I don't want to be anywhere near that. 

Oh bugger. I'm confused as well...

Maybe M3 > A303 > A372 > A361?

Or M4 > M5 > A39 > A361

7 hours ago, MJP said:

Looking at the road plan it looks as if you may be wrong there - unless I am missing something.

The only restrictions I can see on the B3136 are on the Sunday at the end of the festival and the temporary restriction of vehicles stopping.

To me looks fine for getting to the festival from Shepton Mallet