New security measures in place

brettredmayne

38 minutes ago, CajunMoon said:

Feeling the same. I feel sad that Glastonbury has started this way, whether the checks end up as stringent as predicted or not the fact is we are talking about it as part of the pre-festival build up which is where I feel terrorism winning. Terrorism is not always about the mindless attacks its about challenging the mindset too and this counts as a win for them. I don't personally feel any safer for these checks because they will be sporadic, but I am happy to go through them for those who it does make feel safer (if that makes sense!). I don't tend to worry about these things which is either good or naive but life is too short for me to be looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes. A little side point here but I'm not sure how singling out someone who is carrying more or towing a trolley is better for security? You don't need to be carrying large amounts of stuff to be more suspicious. It's a good deterrent for bringing less to pollute the farm however...

Wishing you all a funking brilliant Glastonbury  :)

I'd say it isn't naive - if we worried about everything that could cause us injury / death - we wouldn't do a single thing. We wouldn't hop into our cars, cross the street, eat anything that could cause an heart attack, climb ladders, walk up stairs, walk down the street, go shopping etc.

I do not want to live in a police state as the price paid for improved security, for me, that represents a victory for the terrorists, who wish to destroy our way of life. I feel the same about increased measures to invade privacy and erode civil liberties. I don't think it's a sensible outlook to think extremism will ever disappear. It won't. Hate preachers are common, we have laws to control them and let's hope the pressure minimises their influence on younger minds.

It isn't new - we've had previous generations of terrorists - Irish republications, Basque separatists or the far left. They were all vile but could be negotiated with. 

As soon as we lose our sense of perspective, and stop living the way we do - the terrorist win. I know people are scared and worried about it. 

But I have no plans on worrying about anything like that at any point in my life. It's certainly not going to change what I bring to the farm. I take everything home with me, eat or drink it! 

See you guys there for a big old massive party :) 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should search all cars coming in today and the queues over night prior to gates opening if they've any sense at all. Then usual random searches at gates. For safety reasons they must keep those queues moving tomorrow morning.

Edited by stopwn1981

"So, please think: do you really need that camping chair? Can you manage without that extra food and drink? Remember, you can buy pretty much anything you need here on site."

I could be being hugely cynical and misinformed - perhaps both, but surely this can't be a ploy for punters to spend more on site..?

I think people need to think of this from the eavis`s and other festival organisers point of view, it is widly known there is an increased security risk at the moment, if they didn't increase the level of security at the festival and something did happen can you imagine the criticism that would come their way in all directions. Not to mention the personal guilt? 

When your willing to shoulder the responsibility for the safety of tens of thousands of people then maybe you can judge but until then I think we should be more understanding of whats behind this. Would the police for example have even allowed the festival to go ahead without the increased security? If Glastonbury `hadn't` been willing to make any changes they may have seen it as an unacceptable risk esp with the amount of people involved and revoked the license.. 

I am not a fan of it myself but I understand why its being done, this sadly is the current world we live in, Its only on the gates into the festival anyway so many drama queens here, people talking as if you wont be able to leave your tent without a pat down. By all accounts once your in your in, sorted, festival as normal.

As I said its easy to judge the festival organisers for taking these steps, calling them draconian etc....but its not you whose taking the responsibility for all these peoples safety is it? 

Just be sensible, bring water, have your hat and sunscreen on hand and just chill out in the line have a laugh with the people around you, you think the security themselves have a nice time being stuck in this heat searching people? they will have just as much interest as you as getting people through as quick as they can. Go easy on them, have a laugh with them, dont be a dick to people just trying to do their job, and once you are finally inside just enjoy yourself as you always have. Simples.

Edited by waterfalls212434

19 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

They should search all cars coming in today and the queues over night prior to gates opening if they've any sense at all. Then usual random searches at gates. For safety reasons they must keep those queues moving tomorrow morning.

They did they at Gate D last year, if I remember right. 100% of early queues were searched, and they started this at about 11pm on Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, 40 Days said:

"So, please think: do you really need that camping chair? Can you manage without that extra food and drink? Remember, you can buy pretty much anything you need here on site."

I could be being hugely cynical and misinformed - perhaps both, but surely this can't be a ploy for punters to spend more on site..?

The festival don't take a percentage cut of the traders profits so I can't see them caring how much money they make. 

Maybe it could be a subtle way to discourage people from bringing in loads of junk that they don't really need which then gets left behind?

17 minutes ago, Amii said:

They did they at Gate D last year, if I remember right. 100% of early queues were searched, and they started this at about 11pm on Tuesday.

Yep I was at the front of the queue and they did a pretty thorough check of everyone before going into the zig zag queues. Reckon they hit a lot of their search quota before the gates even opened. Smart move. 

1 minute ago, themuel said:

Yep I was at the front of the queue and they did a pretty thorough check of everyone before going into the zig zag queues. Reckon they hit a lot of their search quota before the gates even opened. Smart move. 

Out of curiosity how can they search thoroughly in the dark?

I'll play ball and have tagged my bags etc - however the point in terrorism is to spread fear of a specific place or local community. Glastonbury is a temporary location and isn't even on until 2019, so attacking there wouldn't really make sense when you can create a mental black mark for somebody against a public location like parliament, Tower Bridge etc.

It's a shame but I guess there's a lot of people anxious about it so it's important people feel safe, even if it won't logistically do a huge amount if somebody 'wants' to attack.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

Let's just hope that the security used to carry out all these rigorous searches are not just private hired bouncer security types as I can see this sparking a riot if they start to manhandle and act over zealously to each and every person, particularly in Wednesdays predicted heat. 

They'll be stood in the scorching sun too - and they're being paid to be there rather than for the love of it, money tends to make people less rather than more friendly.  Patience will be needed all round, and lots of water, smiles and suncream.

Edited by p.pete
added smiles :)

Gonna be glued to this thread before I leave tomorrow lunchtime.

Surely the need for thorough searches will be balanced against the welfare of people queueing in extreme heat. 

I'm sure all will be fine, but it's such a shame that this had to happen this year. Normally we arrive at 3 and walk straight in.

We are in CV East, had a cursory search. Some were getting more thorough ones. We have no glass and the guy who checked us realised this after seeing wine boxes and decanted spirits. Took 30 minutes from leaving last night's campsite to  being on our pitch. :)

If anything, the searches for volunteers, traders, staff etc. should be more thorough than for those with tickets as I would say that's where the bigger threat is rather than those who registered for tickets and joined the F5 madness.  Hopefully, the searches tomorrow will be proportionate.

Let's be realistic, they're not going to find explosives in someone's bag.  A bomber won't queue for several hours, hand over their bag and say "oops, you got me". They'd be setting it off long before that point.  

I'm sure security/police are well aware of this and will do all they can to move people out of the public access areas and onto site quickly.

5 minutes ago, RyanS said:

If anything, the searches for volunteers, traders, staff etc. should be more thorough than for those with tickets as I would say that's where the bigger threat is rather than those who registered for tickets and joined the F5 madness.  Hopefully, the searches tomorrow will be proportionate.

Let's be realistic, they're not going to find explosives in someone's bag.  A bomber won't queue for several hours, hand over their bag and say "oops, you got me". They'd be setting it off long before that point.  

I'm sure security/police are well aware of this and will do all they can to move people out of the public access areas and onto site quickly.

This!! 

15 minutes ago, windy_miller said:

Bollocks.  Just realized I forgot to buy a luggage tag when I did my shopping last night.

Silver duct tape and a sharpie? I made a loop of tape around my bag handle, then pressed it closed so have a flat flap to write on. Even a few layers of brown parcel tape should do the business.

What are we fixing these too? I haven't done it, because I just don't know what requires a tag and what doesn't. I have crates of beer, do they need a tag? What about a black bin bag with my sleeping bag in? My day time small backpack? My bag with walking boots? I'd need about 50 tags! It's all too much for my head this!