New security measures in place

brettredmayne

8 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

If your disabled you won't even be in the same queue.. As you get to yellow gate look for the disabled car park sign and then you will get banded and if you want to you can get the van that will take you and your stuff to spring ground.. 

Hope this helps 

What time does the queue usually start forming for the disabled tent where you get you wristbands etc @guypjfreak?

Edited by J.B.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Last year was bloody hard work at times. By the time I got to Sunday afternoon I just couldn't drum up the energy to go from the pyramid field to the temple for the tomato fight. My feet just could not cope with mud any more . . . it'll be so nice to sit down everywhere this year! 

Seconded, by sunday I was wiped out. we had a chilled out sunday eve drinking beer at the tents as we couldnt not be arsed to do anymore walking through that sucky, boggy, mess. no energy left. Had a good fest still but damn it felt like a marathon at times! This year whatever happens is looking to be a lot more chilled out. happy with that.

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I had a nightmare getting in last year, it took the best part of 24 hours. I had forgotten about it almost as soon as I got in though and it didnt have any impact on my desire to go again this year. A few hours in a queue for 5 days at the best festival in the world is an irrelevance at worst.

well said, i dont even think about the queues last year when thinking about the festival. I remember being infront of a lovely group who i bumped into randomly at the festival 3 days later. Lovely people :) 

Im thinking the major waits will be for those bringing trolley loads of stuff in, hoping as im on a coach ticket so coming in by gate a and with only limited stuff on me (you learn to pack light when used to public transport-ill have my big pack, my day bag and my tent, thats it.) with no trolley to speak of it wont be `to bad` also my coach will be arriving on site about 7am so should be lining up before many even get there and before the worst of the midday heat anyway.  Hoping we`ll have a cloudy morning to be honest!

My tip would be and something ill do myself, freeze a big bottle of water the night before and bring it with you, then as it defrosts (in a plastic bag so it doesnt soak the rest of your stuff of course) youll have a nice supply of icey cold water to drink while in the line.

Edited by waterfalls212434

24 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

If your disabled you won't even be in the same queue.. As you get to yellow gate look for the disabled car park sign and then you will get banded and if you want to you can get the van that will take you and your stuff to spring ground.. 

Hope this helps 

Many thanks, I am in the car and staying with a mate and PA in the accessible camping area, good to have an idea of what to expect. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know we all want to be safe, but the terrorists are winning when such ridiculously stupid measures have to be made for a music festival. :(

Spot in n Neil ! I'm truly gutted this year that we have have this bullshit . I'm a cv this time, but really worried about people in the queue tomorrow in the heat. As the Glasto addiction takes over, many will be knackered from queing overnight, and then potentially sat in the heat. Will this knock on effect those at castle Carey?

when I meet the security/ police today, I will politely comment, just to say I'm guted that it's come to this, then thank them for being here, I've got some spare frozen bottles of water in the fridge to hand out, if they are looking a bit baked

Funk

7 hours ago, rpfranks said:

I think a lot of people are over exaggerating how 'bad' the queues are going to be...not everybody is going to be searched and by what we know, those with a ton of stuff are more likely to be. People packing light will be fine on the whole. It will take a little bit longer but we're not all going to be standing in blazing heat for 12 hours. 

Exactly my thoughts - surely a 6 hour queue in the blazing heat is more of a threat to us all than a terrorist attack. I don't mind queueing for the safety aspect but I am a little worried about heat stroke etc! Theres also bound to be a few people who crack of with the alcohol early doors in the queue and they will be a shriveled prune like mess before they even get in.

My thoughts as well neil, i was thinking last night about this.. Seriously becoming changed days wete people will become more accepting of this and i fear it will become the norm.

I understand fear is relative and for some it gives the comfort they need. For others its a pain in the arse and infrigement on liberties. Im in the latter camp. I can see this being repeated once its published after how successful it is.

Anyways... Off to get the bus to the site!!!

54 minutes ago, garc1a said:

My thoughts as well neil, i was thinking last night about this.. Seriously becoming changed days wete people will become more accepting of this and i fear it will become the norm.

I understand fear is relative and for some it gives the comfort they need. For others its a pain in the arse and infrigement on liberties. Im in the latter camp. I can see this being repeated once its published after how successful it is.

Exactly my thoughts too. I'll reserve judgement until I get to the festival, but these draconian measures make me feel very uneasy.

Sadly people have complete unquestioning faith and trust in the security services these days, as evidenced by this very thread. Worrying times.

1 hour ago, garc1a said:

They'll say it was a huge success as glasto didn't have any terrorist attacks, when glasto may not have even been planned for an attack :S

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

here here

After all the talk I'd guess it'll either be broadly the same as other years plus heavier police/security presence or they'll check everyone and it'll take forever, because one option I can't see is them actually having taken on a greater number of 'searchers' on the gate or rustled up extra space at the gates to accommodate it. It's going to be 32 degrees tomorrow according to Carol on BBC this morning!

In that heat anyone who hides their stash anywhere near their balls or arsehole is going to have a very fragrant gooch!

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I know we all want to be safe, but the terrorists are winning when such ridiculously stupid measures have to be made for a music festival. :(

Perhaps it's best to wait and see rather than condemn that changes as 'ridiculously stupid'.

From what I have experienced so far any changes will be well managed and in the spirit of the festival.

Festivals/events have to put the safety of people before anything. Creamfields have been searching every attendee for years (some people will have more thorough searches than others). I know this might be more around drugs, but the same thing applies. 

It's a big shame it has to come to that, but I would rather wait than have no festivals at all.

I don't distrust the organisers or the security services over all this. I think they're acting with the best intentions. I just think it's sad that they've been put in this position. As much as we say that we're going to carry on as normal - we're not really, because this isn't normal.

I can't see it being as bad as people are imagining - I don't remember seeing any horror stories of queues from IoW or Download. Although there might be problems with more people turning up early because they're worried about the queues - the message they sent out may cause more problems than it solves.

I think an awful lot of the publicity about the security is a deterent - the idiots like easy targets. Glastonbury is about as hard  a target as you can get.

The security have a job to do and they will do it well - bring a pack of mints with you and offer them one with a smile.